Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3l-idi-non-powerstroke-diesels/)
-   -   7.3 IDI vs 7.3 powerstroke? (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3l-idi-non-powerstroke-diesels/222206-7-3-idi-vs-7-3-powerstroke.html)

musclecarguy91 10-08-2011 04:19 PM

7.3 IDI vs 7.3 powerstroke?

I found a 94 ford f-250 non powerstroke non turbo and the motor was just completely redone. My cousin's friend owns it and he is asking 6500 for it and he thinks he will let it go for 5000. How are these motors compared to the 7.3 powerstrokes? I don't know a whole lot about diesels in general, but I'm just curious as to how these motors are compared to the powerstrokes and if it worth the price considering her put over 2500 into rebuilding it. Thanks

Buffalo444 10-08-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musclecarguy91 (Post 2701554)
I found a 94 ford f-250 non powerstroke non turbo and the motor was just completely redone. My cousin's friend owns it and he is asking 6500 for it and he thinks he will let it go for 5000. How are these motors compared to the 7.3 powerstrokes? I don't know a whole lot about diesels in general, but I'm just curious as to how these motors are compared to the powerstrokes and if it worth the price considering her put over 2500 into rebuilding it. Thanks

Could be, depends on the config, as well as the miles on the rest of it.

a idi is a slug compared to a 7.3, and a non turbo is even worse. good durable engines, but slower than mollasses in the winter.

late_99_PSD 10-08-2011 04:33 PM

IDI's are tanks. Simple, reliable, and bullet proof. Yes they aren't 600 horse monsters, yes they aren't 300 horse mosters, but you can make them run forever. Look into a turbo kit and you will be much happier with it.

For 5000 the body better be in great condition. 5 speed?

musclecarguy91 10-08-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by late_99_PSD (Post 2701566)
IDI's are tanks. Simple, reliable, and bullet proof. Yes they aren't 600 horse monsters, yes they aren't 300 horse mosters, but you can make them run forever. Look into a turbo kit and you will be much happier with it.

For 5000 the body better be in great condition. 5 speed?

The body isn't bad no rust, the passenger side fender has some dents and the hood as some, other than that it isn't bad. Its an automatic.

late_99_PSD 10-08-2011 06:28 PM

How many miles are on it? If you could take him down to 4500 you would be getting a good deal,considering its an auto. Defiantly not worth the 6k he's asking, at least to me.

If you want more info on IDI's then check out Oilburners.net. That website is almost exclusively Ford IDI website and thier are alot of good people over there.

musclecarguy91 10-08-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by late_99_PSD (Post 2701686)
How many miles are on it? If you could take him down to 4500 you would be getting a good deal,considering its an auto. Defiantly not worth the 6k he's asking, at least to me.

If you want more info on IDI's then check out Oilburners.net. That website is almost exclusively Ford IDI website and thier are alot of good people over there.

Thanks I'll check that out. There are 215000 on the body. My cousin thinks I could get it for 5 grand. This would be my first diesel and from what I've seen, the powerstrokes cost a bit more.

Jarrod B 10-08-2011 09:19 PM

i drive a 7.3 idi. used to have the 97 and a 99 powerstroke. get the psd.

LSOSGT1109 10-19-2011 11:55 PM

Here's a little comparison for ya, Set of new injectors for an IDI: $250, Set of new injectors for a 7.3 PSD: $1500 or more! If you want a truck that will do pretty much any job you need to do, just maybe not as fast, will be reliable, cheap and easy to work on, then get the IDI. If your looking for a truck that you can get 300+ HP and don't mind spending more money when repairs are needed the PSD is what you want although you're not gonna get 300 HP out of an early model PSD without some modifications.

$5000 seems a little steep to me unless the truck is in real good shape. Like was said above, look at getting a turbo kit for it and you'll like it much better. I have two IDI's, one non turbo and one with a factory turbo and there is a pretty big difference in my opinion.

Maverick1701 02-16-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSOSGT1109 (Post 2718655)
Here's a little comparison for ya, Set of new injectors for an IDI: $250, Set of new injectors for a 7.3 PSD: $1500 or more! If you want a truck that will do pretty much any job you need to do, just maybe not as fast, will be reliable, cheap and easy to work on, then get the IDI. If your looking for a truck that you can get 300+ HP and don't mind spending more money when repairs are needed the PSD is what you want although you're not gonna get 300 HP out of an early model PSD without some modifications.

$5000 seems a little steep to me unless the truck is in real good shape. Like was said above, look at getting a turbo kit for it and you'll like it much better. I have two IDI's, one non turbo and one with a factory turbo and there is a pretty big difference in my opinion.

Im in a similar boat, trying to decide IDI vs PS.
The main reason Im looking at idi is for the price of maint...its like night and day.

Jarrod B 02-16-2012 12:26 PM

but the older the truck the more repairs needed.