7.3 IDI vs 7.3 powerstroke? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
but the older the truck the more repairs needed.
I know.. I just cant decide.

We are only talking a difference of 3-4 years (at least in my case). I am looking at a 93 idi or a 96 stroke.
On one hand I like that the idi can be fixed with basic tools....simple and easy.
On the other hand I like that I can slap a chip on the PSD and be ready to rock.

At this point, Im leaning more towards the IDI because I wont be towing any super heavy loads and the truck will be used for road trips and to play off-road.

I really do want a PSD but Im afraid I dont have the income (work for a small rural sheriffs office) to repair such a vehicle should something large go out.

thoughts? GO!

ChrisChris
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1997 Ford Expedition 4x4
1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 6x6
2016 Silverado 4x4 Crew-Cab LS/Police

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 02-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Beach Bum

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
7.3 psds really dont have much go out if kept stock or just a chip.

play off road? lol. something is gonna break anyway, reguardless of year. road queens are best with less wear.

2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
2004 Jetta TDI
LSP Chapter Director

LSP Group Threads

post #13 of 32 Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Id trade my 95 for a 93-94 IDI in a heartbeat. My IDI towed loads just as heavy and just as well as my PSD, albeit a little slower, but beats my PSD any day of the week on low end grunt right when you put the foot to it. I absolutely loved my IDI, and was very upset to see it go. Plus they sound absolutely incredible straight piped. There is an IDI that runs around here with dual miters, and it sounds just great. my choice would be the IDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Beach Bum

ya our idi has done well. and the towing too.

2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
2004 Jetta TDI
LSP Chapter Director

LSP Group Threads

post #15 of 32 Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Shoot man good luck I'm thinking about going from.a built cummins to an idi talk about a lose of power Haha.

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.com App
post #16 of 32 Old 03-09-2012, 10:06 PM

I ended up with an IDI and love it!

ChrisChris
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1997 Ford Expedition 4x4

post #17 of 32 Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Beach Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1701 View Post
I ended up with an IDI and love it!
let me know when you are in town so i can blow by ya in a 6oh....

pics man!

2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
2004 Jetta TDI
LSP Chapter Director

LSP Group Threads

post #18 of 32 Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
Id trade my 95 for a 93-94 IDI in a heartbeat. My IDI towed loads just as heavy and just as well as my PSD, albeit a little slower, but beats my PSD any day of the week on low end grunt right when you put the foot to it. I absolutely loved my IDI, and was very upset to see it go. Plus they sound absolutely incredible straight piped. There is an IDI that runs around here with dual miters, and it sounds just great. my choice would be the IDI
The idle validation switch must not have been adjusted right because the PSD is WAY stronger and more responsive than the IDI motor.

With adjustment of the idle validation switch, PSD's can almost be too snappy on the bottom end.

post #19 of 32 Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3MMX View Post
The idle validation switch must not have been adjusted right because the PSD is WAY stronger and more responsive than the IDI motor.

With adjustment of the idle validation switch, PSD's can almost be too snappy on the bottom end.

OBS PSD's have large exhaust housings, and take some rpm's for the turbo's to spool. Couple that with compression around 17.5:1, and the IDI with 21.5:1 compression allows the IDI to eat an OBS on the bottom end. The PSD's lower compression is offset by higher boost pressures, but because of the large exhaust housing, it takes a second for the turbo to fully spool up.

N/A Diesel's will always have snappy off idle performance due to their compression.

Anymore this is how I think of the 7.3IDI vs. PSD debate goes for me. If I wanted a truck that I would use for work (think like ranch truck, always has crap in the bed, dont care about body, etc) I would get the IDI. If I wanted a truck that has a potential to make good power, I would go for the PSD. If I did buy a PSD, I would buy a nice one, therefore not use it for work (hauling is ok, but not like the work above^^^). I feel IDI's can take much more abuse and keep going than a PSD. And even if they cant, used IDI engines can be found for way less than a grand.

Last edited by FordGuy100; 03-20-2012 at 09:26 AM.
post #20 of 32 Old 03-21-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
let me know when you are in town so i can blow by ya in a 6oh....

pics man!
lol but you wont be able to sneak up on me...I will be able to hear the sounds of failing head gaskets from 2mi away
Jarrod B likes this.

ChrisChris
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1997 Ford Expedition 4x4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in