Possibly buying a 94 7.3 turbo diesel, a few questions - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can see the powerstroke increasing the price some....but in all honesty it just comes down to the truck. I've seen IDI's sell for more than powerstrokes...and vis a versa. It just depends on the truck.

Also KBB and Nada arent the best for looking at truck prices, they always seem off. What part of the country are you in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
okay, thanks for the advice. I am going to look at it tonight.

**I am in Virginia

Last edited by cardana24; 07-28-2010 at 07:33 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Everything checked out pretty good last night so I am pretty sure I am going to the the truck with in the next week. Once I get the truck the first mods I want to do are down pipe and a better intercooler. Does anyone make a 3" down pipe for the IDI 7.3 turbo engine? Also I was reading in the powerstroke section that the 6.0 intercooler was a popular upgrade. Does that fit on these truck too? I have read about turning the injection pump up, but I am curious how much this effects the fuel mileage. Any advice is appreciated. I want to do minor mods that will not really hurt fuel economy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 AM

I think ATS sells the upgrade for the downpipe/exhaust housing on the intercooler. But I think its like $800. You might want to take it to a muffler shop, tell them to cut the downpipe off at the flange, and then weld a mandrel bent 3" pipe into it. That way you have the stock mounting, but then it goes into a nice round 3" pipe instead of that cobra head downpipe.

I have a 6.0 intercooler sitting at home, though its a custom thing to put it in. Thats why I havent started. Hypermax sells a intercooler kit, but its like $1500.

Turning up the pump wont decrease fuel milage, only your right foot will. If you cruise, you will get the same milage, but at WOT you will be injecting more fuel, therefore your fuel economy will go down some.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
I think ATS sells the upgrade for the downpipe/exhaust housing on the intercooler. But I think its like $800. You might want to take it to a muffler shop, tell them to cut the downpipe off at the flange, and then weld a mandrel bent 3" pipe into it. That way you have the stock mounting, but then it goes into a nice round 3" pipe instead of that cobra head downpipe.

I have a 6.0 intercooler sitting at home, though its a custom thing to put it in. Thats why I havent started. Hypermax sells a intercooler kit, but its like $1500.

Turning up the pump wont decrease fuel milage, only your right foot will. If you cruise, you will get the same milage, but at WOT you will be injecting more fuel, therefore your fuel economy will go down some.

I have been reading about the ATS stuff and that is way more than I want to spend for a downpipe. I was hoping you guys knew of something I did not.

I never researched the intercooler thing I just assumed they were factory inntercooled like the powerstrokes....I guess I was wrong

I start thinking about turning the pump up after I put in an egt gauge. I have one on one of my cars that I was planning on taking out in favor of a wideband 02 gauge. How much of a gain can you expect from just turning your pump up, and everything else is stock?
post #16 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Yeah they are definatly costly to buy from. That said, I think the best thing to do is do what I said to the stock downpipe. Cut it right at the flange (but leave just enough to weld onto. Then have a muffler shop mandrel bend a 3" pipe to fit exactly like the stock downpipe, weld it together, and put it in. That way all the angles are the same, and it should fit (you will have to clearance your firewall, aka bend it back with something).

Yup, all intercoolers are custom fit except for the hypermax kit which should be complete. ATS use to sell a intercooler kit, but they dropped it.

Diesel's are opposite of gassers, the more fuel you put in, the higher the EGT's. With the stock downpipe (restrictive, higher EGT's), you could probably max the fuel out, but you will have to watch the pyro. I think a good 20-25hp is obtained from turning it up. Not bad at all .

Also, turbo diesel's dont really need a muffler as the turbo is good enough at muffling the noise. Therefore, you can straight pipe your truck
post #17 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
Yeah they are definatly costly to buy from. That said, I think the best thing to do is do what I said to the stock downpipe. Cut it right at the flange (but leave just enough to weld onto. Then have a muffler shop mandrel bend a 3" pipe to fit exactly like the stock downpipe, weld it together, and put it in. That way all the angles are the same, and it should fit (you will have to clearance your firewall, aka bend it back with something).

Yup, all intercoolers are custom fit except for the hypermax kit which should be complete. ATS use to sell a intercooler kit, but they dropped it.

Diesel's are opposite of gassers, the more fuel you put in, the higher the EGT's. With the stock downpipe (restrictive, higher EGT's), you could probably max the fuel out, but you will have to watch the pyro. I think a good 20-25hp is obtained from turning it up. Not bad at all .

Also, turbo diesel's dont really need a muffler as the turbo is good enough at muffling the noise. Therefore, you can straight pipe your truck

I'll check around on trying to find someone willing to do the down pipe at a decent price. Even if I could not find a mandrel bent pipe I am guessing a crush bent would still be much better than the smashed stock pipe?

I'll put the intercooler idea on hold then.

Does anyone sell just a 4" exhaust with out a muffler/resanator? I don't mind if it makes it a little louder but I don't want it super loud either.

Also while we are talking about performance it looks like running a larger exposed element air filter is a pretty popular mod too. I know on my cars it does not do a whole lot other than make a cool noise. Are there really gains to be had doing the homemade intake mod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode