Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wont Stay Running (Post Fuel Pump)

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tmarxmiller 
#1 ·
Hi all! New to site. Since August, proud owner of an 88 E350 w 7.3idi and Ambulance package, just 40k govt doc miles. Garage kept? Could have eaten off the floor! Maintained? It was the Life Flight promo rig!
First diesel, second large Ford (other was 97 F350 4dr 4x4).

Couple months ago I was headed down my steep and rutted drive w low fuel, and motor quit suddenly. Thought ran take-up dry, filled up, cranked it dead. (While taco jumped to it, rock holding at hi idle. Took batts to AutoZone for renewal). Told fuel pump, replaced, bled, got it going. (While taco jumped to it, rock holding at hi idle. Took batts to AutoZone for renewal). But it won't run longer than 5min, often closer to 30sec. Constantly bleeding valve, constantly air being released.

And I ain't playing. I don't give up quick. I beat dead horses to pieces to keep from looking like I quit early. At some point a bit ago I did some calculations to make sure I'd gotten all the bubbles from the line, and I should have many times over.

First I was thinking rubber fuel lines rotted in 30yrs (at same pace as door seals etc). And may still be so. Couple nights ago I thought: 'but it ran fine till I replaced that pump, I bet I did a bad job installing the pump.'

I got to get this thing running in 2wks to use while knee is being worked on (since can't use clutch in other car). Don't have much free time (and even less money) to go throwing lots of 'amateur idea' parts at it. What do you guys think I ought to start replacing/adjusting first?

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.