Advice on troubleshooting 7.3L IDI - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The first step I would recommend is scanning for codes. Many auto parts stores like Advance do this for free. You can also check the calibration on the TPS (throttle position sensor)/FIPL (fuel injection pump lever) sensor...both acronyms are used interchangeably. You will see the TPS located on the driver's side of the injection pump...it has three wires coming out of it. Set it up as follows: turn key on, engine off, check the voltage between the center wire and either wire on the plug on the FIPL sensor with the plug in place on the sensor (use paper clips or such to push into the back of the wires on the plug and use them to put the meter leads onto) there are 3 wires on the plug. You are looking for 1.0-1.1 volts closed throttle. If you do not have the proper reading, loosen the 2 screws for the sensor and rotate the sensor to achieve the 1.0-1.1 volts closed throttle setting.You wont have to move it much to see a change in voltage. Also, check your voltage at WOT (wide open throttle). You should see at least 3.8V, but no more than 4.3V.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=30

Last edited by daimoku; 03-03-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Black&Gold Send a message via Skype™ to Black&Gold
hey man I am working on a 93 IDI right now and replaced the TPS but never adjusted it. so what is this "max travel screw" you are talking about?
post #13 of 16 Old 03-13-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll try to take a picture of the max travel screw for you guys today. It's located above the passenger's side of the injection pump and it controls how far the throttle travels. If you use your finger to push the throttle back, you should see or feel a screw that stops you from pushing it any further. That is the max travel screw. The TPS needs to be adjusted to those settings with a multi-meter or it can cause the transmission to shift hard/limp mode. A cheap multimeter will run you less than $10.

Last edited by daimoku; 03-13-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is just the information I'm looking for!
Any idea if a bad RPM sensor would show up as a bad TPS sensor? I've adjusted the TPS sensor on my son's 93 F250 every which way I could find and nothing seems to help. We replaced the TPS and adjusted the new one within the range of 1.2v to 4.6v (idle to full throttle) with no joy. Then we set it at 1800 ohms +/- 50 ohms at idle position (based on something he found on the internet). Transmission still snatches your teeth out when it shifts. I'm getting the same codes as you.....23 and 14. I ohmmed out the RPM sensor and got nothing at all...I think the wires might be broken where they come out of the sensor. I'll check it your way with the meter set on volts tomorrow to see what that gives.
Thanks for all the info!
post #15 of 16 Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WOOHOO!!!
I set the TPS to about 0.6v at idle and I get about 3.6 at full throttle....and it shifts 100% better than it did before! I wondered if I should adjust the max throttle screw....but we're making progress in the right direction.
THANKS again!!
post #16 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Very nice! The transmission is 'picky' in that the computer looks for those specific voltages...1.0-1.1 at idle and 3.8-4.3V at WOT. Anything different and you can get the flashing overdrive light which indicates an error code. Anyhow, congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode