'85 6.9 with air in fuel MYSTERY. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-23-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy '85 6.9 with air in fuel MYSTERY.

I'm seriously stuck with a mystical problem with my '85 6.9 F250 diesel. You guys are the last attempt to save it, before I push it off a cliff. And, if you help me, you will have the ego-stroking pleasure of being able to solve what all the mechanics in Moscow, Idaho can't. That may not be saying much, but we are in some of the richest farm country in the world, here, The Palouse, so a F250 diesel is hardly a rare vehicle around here-- but, nobody can seem to fix my truck.

It used to be a rather intermittent problem that is steadily getting worse, to the point that the truck is almost un-driveable. I will be driving down the road, at 55mph, and it will start running rough, and then slowly die, exactly as if it is running out of gas. I coast to a stop, restart it and go down the road again, where it may or may not do the same thing. Then, it might run perfectly for 6mos, towing my boat, everything. Then, mystically one day, it will become so gutless that it can't haul a bag of potato chips, and it will die like that every drive for a few weeks... until it starts running well for another few months.

I finally determined that maybe there was air in the fuel. So, I patched in a piece of clear tubing in the fuel line just before the fuel filter (brand new fuel filter, of course, I had tried that... oh, and brand new fuel pump). Sure enough, there are a ton of air bubbles and random chunks of solid air coming through the hose. I thought perhaps the ends of the fuel hoses throughout the engine had gotten brittle and cracked. So, I replaced three of them with new hose, and throughly inspected every inch of the rest of the hose and metal pipe all the way back to the gas tank. Every connection looked perfect-- no leaking fuel. The hoses that I replace looked perfect, too, no apparent cracking. After putting in the new hose, it seemed there was a lot less air in the line.... but, not completely gone. I started the truck, and it seemed to run WAY smoother. I got out on the highway, and was shocked that it was running incredibly smoothly-- it went 55-60mph perfectly for 8mi., I turned it off, did an errand, and started it up to drive back home. I got on the highway again, and it did the EXACT SAME SHUT-DOWN that it has always done. Every couple of miles, it would strand me, and I'd have to wait and restart. Took me an hour to get home. It seems that perhaps this problem happens more often when the engine is hot.

So, here I am. No idea what to do. The mechanics in town can't figure it out. I can't sell it when it does that. I have no idea what to do. ARE ANY OF YOU SMARTER THAN MY MECHANICS??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Blow me to Bermuda!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry to bump an old post. I never make it out of the 6.0 forums these days...

Anyway, as much as I love PS.org, you'll want to head to OilBurners.net for any IDI-related discussions. Good luck!

Justin

2016 F250 6.7 PSD Lariat CCSB FX4 -|- 2006 F350 6.0 PSD Lariat CCSB FX4 -|- 1986 F250 6.9 IDI Lariat ECLB -|- 2008 F250 6.4 PSD XLT CCSB (sold!)
post #3 of 3 Old 12-28-2019, 05:41 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 3346 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you bypass the water seperator on the firewall? I had 2 6.9s and both had the same problem, used a short piece of fuel hose to bypass and it was fine after that.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode