• 1 Post By 6.7Scorpion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-07-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Noise

Not quite sure if I have a problem or not, are you guys getting much nose from the transmission while driving ? I here it much more then in any other truck I've owned. Its kind of like a whine I would say. I kind of sounds like my old 92 accord manual in reverse at 25km/hr haha

•2018 F350 Platinum - 4" BDS, 37"toyo MT on 20" Fuel mavericks.
•2016 Sierra 3500HD All terrain 5" Zone 35 BF KO2 on 20" Fuel Pumps PPEI delete w/4" flow pro - SOLD
•2013 Ram 3500 Laramie 6" BDS with 37" Toyo MT on 20" Fuel Pumps - HPP Delete w/ 4" flo pro - SOLD
•2006 CBR1000RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7Scorpion View Post
Not quite sure if I have a problem or not, are you guys getting much nose from the transmission while driving ? I here it much more then in any other truck I've owned. Its kind of like a whine I would say. I kind of sounds like my old 92 accord manual in reverse at 25km/hr haha
I don’t hear any whining, but I do hear my up and down shifting at lesser throttle inputs.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops361 View Post
I don’t hear any whining, but I do hear my up and down shifting at lesser throttle inputs.
Coops,
I Just bought a 2019 F250 and I also hear my transmission at slower speeds. Like a constant ticking between gears. But, mine has the 3.31 gearing (wanted the 3.73 but this was too much of a deal to pass up).

I had test driven one w/ 3.73's and that one didn't seem to do it, at least it didn't stand out to me. I mentioned it to the salesman and he said it was the torque converter locking and unlocking. He had the exact same truck but with the 3.55 rear end and he said he didn't really notice it much on his, nor it bogging down much when approaching a hill.

I'm wondering if the lower gearing (3.31) is more susceptible to this 'sound' than the 3.73? But my transmission doesn't whine at all, very quiet, other than that searching-for-the-right-gear sound at lower speeds.

Curious what gearing you and the OP have on your trucks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Year/model?
Are you sure its not a wheelbearing or u joint noise?
transfer case possibly?

03 7.3l 550, FRx, 6637 mod, 4 inch turbo back, ccv delete, aih delete, HPx, Riffraffs OCR, Turbo-pyro-boost-coolant EV2 gauges, Bullydog GT tuner.

03 X 6.0 175/30 warren sticks, Livewire TS w/ warren tunes, Blue spring mod, atlas 40 ficm, 270amp dc power alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
goats lives matter.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-22-2019, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops361 View Post
Coops,
I Just bought a 2019 F250 and I also hear my transmission at slower speeds. Like a constant ticking between gears. But, mine has the 3.31 gearing (wanted the 3.73 but this was too much of a deal to pass up).

I had test driven one w/ 3.73's and that one didn't seem to do it, at least it didn't stand out to me. I mentioned it to the salesman and he said it was the torque converter locking and unlocking. He had the exact same truck but with the 3.55 rear end and he said he didn't really notice it much on his, nor it bogging down much when approaching a hill.

I'm wondering if the lower gearing (3.31) is more susceptible to this 'sound' than the 3.73? But my transmission doesn't whine at all, very quiet, other than that searching-for-the-right-gear sound at lower speeds.

Curious what gearing you and the OP have on your trucks...
I have the 3.55 gearing. I posted about this a while ago, but the shifting and overall characteristics of the 6R140 are interesting.

My TC lockup’s are sometimes smooth, sometimes pretty rough. My 5-6 and 6-5 seem quite abrupt. And just overall seems sluggish. But as soon as I put any weight behind it, it shifts tight, smooth, and always seems to be in the right gear.

It’s just.. interesting.
fivehat likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-26-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
im pretty sure i have 3:73 in my 2018 truck. I dont think its a wheel bearing as noise volume changes with load and follows RPMs as well. Also when you are driving and are on a road where you are only required 3-5% throttle and you lift foot slightly you get another noise that happens till you either give more throttle and put slight load or 0% throttle and remove all load. I keep meaning to watch the ezlynk and figure out if this noise is present if the torque converter is unlocked or just when locked but i believe it is happening even at real slow speeds, no whine at the slow speeds, just the other noise.

•2016 Sierra 3500HD All terrain 5" Zone 35 BF KO2 on 20" Fuel Pumps PPEI delete w/4" flow pro - SOLD
•2013 Ram 3500 Laramie 6" BDS with 37" Toyo MT on 20" Fuel Pumps - HPP Delete w/ 4" flo pro - SOLD
•2006 CBR1000RR
post #7 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Last week i put some time in trying to monitor the problem. I found that the noise was only happening with the torque converter locked. When i get very light throttle input, the noise would happen as soon as the converter slip would go into the neg value and go away when it got back close to the 0 mark. I had a 4th gear lock tune in the truck that i loaded not long ago with the KAM reset done prior and i honestly cannot recall if the noise was there before or after that change. In the cold mornings my truck also smokes like an old 08 in regen on start so i figured id load a new tune and try and get two birds stoned. Well the smoke is back to just a puff on start up and the transmission noise is almost completely gone. I can faintly here it from time to time but i have to listen really hard to hear the converter noise and the tranny whine i have not heard since. Not sure if there was an issue with the tune when it loaded or the truck never liked that tune, either way its pretty good now and will monitor it over time and see. I did notice the engine breaking is much less now tho so might still have some tweaking to do
fivehat likes this.

•2006 CBR1000RR
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had some trans noises in my new 2018 F350. I could hear gears. Enough I was concerned I got a bad tranny. Ended up being noise being transfered from the transmission to the cab via the shifter cable. There is an updated part with a bunch of noise cancellation rubber(?) on it. Did the trick

2018 F350 6.7 Lariat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Movesfast For This Useful Post:
6.7Scorpion (Today)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in