LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation input shaft "failure"

Hello all –

I have a 2016 F-350 FX4 SRW King Ranch with ~ 88,000 miles on it. The truck is a daily driver and spends most of the time on highway. It has been used to tow light loads ~9 times in 3 years. These consisted of a 26’ boat 4 times, an 18’ dump trailer 2 times, a 17’ boat a total of 15 miles, and a 12’ U-Haul from AZ to KY. All of the loads are obviously WAY below what the vehicle is rated for. The only change from stock is the installation of 35 x 12.5 tires.

Last week while merging after exiting the highway there was a “bang” and the RPM’s shot up. I immediately let off the gas, coasted for a minute than tried again. Nothing but an RPM increase, nothing going to transmission. I coasted to a parking lot and called for a tow to the local dealership.

The next day I was informed that I had been “mislead” by my salesman in AZ when I purchased the truck who pointed to the warranty information manual where it said diesel engine warranty and said that since I have the diesel and it is a different powertrain that the powertrain is covered to 100,000 miles. Apparently only the diesel engine itself is covered to 100,000 and the transmission gets the same warranty as the one in the Festiva.

Today they called and informed me that the issue was caused due to an input shaft “failure” (read broke). The remedy was to replace the transmission at a cost of ~$7,000.

After hearing this I contacted Ford Customer Affairs because there is no way that an input shaft that is rated at 1,400 ft/lbs of input torque should have “failed” on a vehicle with the mileage and usage of mine. They promptly told me that it is outside warranty and that since they have not had this failure documented it couldn’t be a manufacturing defect. That seems counter intuitive based upon my engineering experience in both manufacturing and high end medical systems.

I guess my questions are these:

Has anyone heard of this issue happening?
Does anyone have any input as to possible causes (defective manufacturing aside)?
Has anyone replaced the transmission on one of these?
If so how difficult was it, do they have any instructions, were there any special tools involved?

I have extensive experience pulling and building engines, in just about anything you can name so I have the ability to do it myself. I just have no experience working on diesels, and I have never replaced a transmission on one of these.

Thoughts and input are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Where did the input shaft fail? Meaning which end? or did it snap in half?

Easiest way IMO is to take it to a good transmission shop. They will break it down. change the input shaft and fix anything else thats worn well they are in there. Should be alot less than 7000. In NY i can have a 5r110 fully rebuilt including TC for 3-3500. Includes pulling it and re installing. Also that normally includes a few incidentals like tranny lines etc....
post #3 of 3 Old 08-02-2019, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have a 2011 F350 and a couple times I've had it where the transmission just seemed like it didn't engage like you describe, but I just let off the gas and then applied gas again and it went just fine. This has not happened in a long time now. Hope it's not a sign of what you experienced though =(. Also I agree with the comment about taking it to a shop specializing in transmissions. My brother got two of his rebuilt for like $1,500 or so both 7.3L though. I can't imagine any scenario in which you totaled the entire transmission. I say this because well you didn't spray red fluid all over the road when it broke. Basically anything you can avoid going to a big name dealer for will save you a fortune! Not even joking when I first bought my 2011 two years ago I took it in for a transmission fluid change and had them check the front driver side because it seemed off (didn't have it long enough to do much on it myself yet) and found out as I somewhat suspected the wheel bearing was gone like really gone. Anywho they charged me $600+ for the part and $150 for labor to put it in. Well fomoco parts being the junk they are it went out again like six months later (not bad bad but tire moved) this time I had time to order a part and I did it myself. This time a moog hub assembly (they don't sell just the bearing for 4x4 so $$$) for under $300 and a few hours in the garage after work and it was done a savings of over $300 on the part and another $150 on the labor. Long story short kindly or not so kindly tell the dealer you're going to take it to a rebuild shop. Plus bonus with a rebuild you can add a shift kit to give better shifts. If by some miracle it does turn out that it's a loss please share pictures of the unfortunate carnage. (for the community and for ford in case they do open a recall type effort)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in