What adapter for FORscan? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Tech Files (2011-2016) Repair and Mod help on the 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Information only forum, no general posting

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hblick48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What adapter for FORscan?

Hey guys I was to start getting familiar with Forscan but I am not certain on which adapter to get. I guess some of the adapters on Amazon are "clones" and not reliable. Also, im not sold on Bluetooth for this.

Can someone please recommend an OBD2 adapter? Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage
The Forscan site has an approved list of adapters, with that said -- I use the OBDLink MX+, others have had good results with the BAFX one -- the cheap clones are use at your own risk -- may or may not work

The OBDLink adapter has the advantage of Bluetooth and WiFi in the same adapter

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hydro For This Useful Post:
FiEnD (08-22-2019)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
The Forscan site has an approved list of adapters, with that said -- I use the OBDLink MX+, others have had good results with the BAFX one -- the cheap clones are use at your own risk -- may or may not work

The OBDLink adapter has the advantage of Bluetooth and WiFi in the same adapter
Thanks for the info. Im not sure I want to try the Bluetooth/wifi adapters. I mean what if you lose connection or the app crashes mid scan?

Do they make a cabled adapter with WiFi ability?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2019, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Well it likely will not crash, but what if it did, just restart, your only reading information -- there are USB cables also

General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hydro For This Useful Post:
FiEnD (08-22-2019)
post #5 of 9 Old 08-22-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Well it likely will not crash, but what if it did, just restart, your only reading information -- there are USB cables also
I didn't realize the app is read only. I definitely need the use of writing. I searched yours on Amazon and it only shows wifi/bt only.

Buying an adapter is easy but finding the correct one that's not a knock off is difficult

post #6 of 9 Old 08-22-2019, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Garage
The Forscan app can command the various actuators in the truck as well, so not read only -- still commanding a function is like an input, your not changing anything

Read and Command are safe

You can in certain areas write new parameters, but if you don't know what you are doing -- well, should learn first -- I would suggest avoiding blindly poking in new parameters -- if you feel something needs changed, do the research -- then act

And yeah, both adapters I mentioned are Bt, the first is BT/WiFi and the BAFX has that option also in their more expensive model -- either one of those adapters will be solid -- I prefer the WiFi option because my laptop is cranky about connecting with Bt, whereas my tablet and phone are fine with Bt -- and if you are using an I-phone wifi is the only option

Some get by with the 10 dollar adapters, some have to buy several before one works -- strictly your choice

General note:
post #7 of 9 Old 08-22-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
The Forscan app can command the various actuators in the truck as well, so not read only -- still commanding a function is like an input, your not changing anything

Read and Command are safe

You can in certain areas write new parameters, but if you don't know what you are doing -- well, should learn first -- I would suggest avoiding blindly poking in new parameters -- if you feel something needs changed, do the research -- then act

And yeah, both adapters I mentioned are Bt, the first is BT/WiFi and the BAFX has that option also in their more expensive model -- either one of those adapters will be solid -- I prefer the WiFi option because my laptop is cranky about connecting with Bt, whereas my tablet and phone are fine with Bt -- and if you are using an I-phone wifi is the only option

Some get by with the 10 dollar adapters, some have to buy several before one works -- strictly your choice
I don't mean to hold your hand but could you find me a link to an adapter that has a cable connection too? All im finding are wireless only.

Thanks for the info and advice. Yeah im not going to be poking around anywhere I shouldn't. I just have goals like programming a key myself for example. Among other things. Im definitely not jumping in the deep end of the pool without first learning how to swim

post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2019, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I purchased this adaptor on Amazon for $18.97. It is a wired connection and works great with Forscan:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
FiEnD likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hblick48 For This Useful Post:
FiEnD (08-23-2019)
post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2019, 08:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I agree with the bluetooth route. It was a bit dicey for me. I went with this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I paid less than the listed price when I bought it. Works great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode