P2038 code - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2017-2019) 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-07-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 17 f250 popped a CEL on and I scanned it with my banks I dash. It said p203B which read reductant sensor circuit range/performance. Anyone else get this and know what it means?

Last edited by Diesel Leirhiht; 12-08-2019 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Wrong code. P203B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My truck currently has this CEL. Ford wants me to pay for the reductant tank replacement.....we are currently in negotiations for replacement with corporate. This appears to be a ticking time bomb for some 2017 6.7s. Debating a delete.

w.w.w.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-problems-forum-2017-2019/1366835-starting-have-consistent-electrical-problem.html

ford.oemdtc.com/3260/illuminated-mil-with-dtc-p203b-2017-ford-f-super-duty
post #3 of 7 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Garage
So, basically this is the fluid level gauge in the DEF tank reading incorrectly

Being part of the emissions system, I thought that would be covered by the Federal 5 year warranty?
the DEF system would be in that description

The problem with deletes is if the EPA decides to enforce compliance
if you still own the truck, the deleted stuff would have to be put back on or the truck scrapped
we aren't quite there yet -- I suppose it depends on how long we keep our diesels

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think the federal EPA warranty only covers 'light duty' vehicles, and typically only for 2 years or 24k miles (with the exception of certain parts).

w.w.w.epa.gov/transportation-air-pollution-and-climate-change/frequent-questions-related-transportation-air

"The Clean Air Act requires manufacturers of light-duty vehicles to provide two federal emission control warranties: (A) "Performance Warranty" and (B) "Design and Defect Warranty." These warranties are provided by the vehicle manufacturer and apply to used vehicles as well. The warranty period begins from the date of sale to the original owner.

The Performance Warranty covers repairs which are required during the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) because the vehicle failed an emission test. Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. If you are a resident of an area with an Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) program that meets federal guidelines, you are eligible for this warranty protection provided that:

Your car or light-duty truck fails an approved emissions test; and
Your vehicle is less than 2 years old and has less than 24,000 miles (up to 8 years/80,000 miles for certain components); and
Your state or local government requires that you repair the vehicle; and
The test failure does not result from misuse of the vehicle or a failure to follow the manufacturers’ written maintenance instructions; and
You present the vehicle to a warranty-authorized manufacturer representative, along with evidence of the emission test failure, during the warranty period."
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2016 and before, you could replace just the def pump/gauge float housing. 2017+, you have to replace the entire tank with everything built into it...
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Last year was the first Canadian winter my truck went through and I had a reductant (def) pump heater failure. CEL came on and dealer replaced by taking another unit out of one of the trucks on the lot. There is something about the warranty for the def system not being as long as the powertrain warranty or shorter than the extended warranty coverage. I thought it was 80,000km under my extended plan but can’t remember exactly.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 05:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm not sure if the OP has an ESP. My dealer rate was 140 USD/hr labor plus the parts. I had mine replaced under warranty. A new unit from tasca parts goes for $250. Job shouldn't be too hard to DIY.

2017 Ford F250 XL 4x4 SRW, White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in