Starting to have a consistent electrical problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2017-2019) 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting to have a consistent electrical problem

So this problem started for my on Tuesday morning when I got off shift. I went out to the truck and tried to start it up and nothing happened. I tried to turn it over 4 or 5 times with no luck at all. I would get 1 click of the truck trying to turn over and that was it. I popped the hood open checked my battery terminals opened the fuse panel and all appeared to be completely normal.

I get back in the truck and try to start it again and the truck finally starts. Now I did absolutely nothing to the truck at this point. but once I started the truck I got a couple messages on the dash that I have never gotten before. I got the following

- Hill decent not working properly
- Check braking system
- my dash dimming display came on but I wasn't trying to dim any of the lights

Upon driving home I released that my DEF gauge in the top right corner of the instrument cluster had switched back to the factory boost gauge and the clock had switched reading from normal 12hr time over to military time. I switched the gauge and the clock back to how I wanted it and just wanted to get the truck home.

I pulled into the driveway turned the truck off unloaded my gear and got back in it to see if it would start again. The truck fired right up this time but behold the gauge was back to the boost gauge and the clock was back to military time. I also got the check braking system message on the dash.

A couple hours later loaded the family up and made our 250 mile road trip. My wife noticed the clock switched again. I also need to mention all my radio presets and everything are still staying normal how I keep them. Now the truck makes the drive just fine other then the gauges switching there appears to be nothing mechanically wrong with the truck at all. It still drives great.

Every time I get in the truck now I noticed the DEF gauge switches to the boost gauge and the clock switches back to military style. This morning and its now Thursday I fire the truck up and start driving and the check engine light come on. We get to and from where we need to go and now I'm back at our place checking everything over with Forscan and I get the following code. P203B and P203B-C.

Does anyone have a clue what could be going on with the truck. I am outside of my normal 36K mile warranty as the truck now has 44k mile but Its only 2 years old what the heck could be going on. I love this thing but I'm not ready to tackle any type of electrical issues.

I will have a video uploaded a little later if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I did just find this link with a TSB for that exact code but I don't have the ability to really see how to fix the problem.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3260/illumin...d-f-super-duty
post #3 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It says how to fix it:

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Connect the Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) service tool or equivalent scan tool to the data link connector (DLC). Check for DTCs. Is P203B the only DTC stored in the PCM memory?
Yes – proceed to Step 2.
No – this article does not apply. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostics.
Replace the reductant tank. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-08.
Using IDS, perform the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system refill activation by selecting toolbox> powertrain> service functions> SCR system> SCR system refill activation.

So...a dealer trip, or replace yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-23-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Finally had the light show up and was able to get it to the dealer to show them today. They pulled the TSB that I posted and are replacing it next week for under warranty even though the truck has 45K miles. I will update this once the work gets done the end of next week.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-30-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Got the truck back from ford today. No check engine light on and they say they did the TSB fix. The truck has not had any issues so far starting like it did but I did notice that the clock and gauge cluster still resets itself from time to time. I cant for the life of me figure out why it is doing this.

After this hurricane passes us I'll try and get it back in there and see what they say about it.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

So I was able to get both batteries out today and checked. Sure enough one of my batteries which happened to be the oldest original one is bad. Takes a full charge but only seeing 12.7 V from it.

Going to the dealer tomorrow to see if I can get this replaced under warranty.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 3232 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Willy View Post
So I was able to get both batteries out today and checked. Sure enough one of my batteries which happened to be the oldest original one is bad. Takes a full charge but only seeing 12.7 V from it.

You should replace both batteries at the same time.

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyF250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Willy View Post

You should replace both batteries at the same time.
I’d love to but that’s kinda on ford while they are still under warranty isn’t it?

I’m not even sure they will cover this one. It’s been just over 2 years now but I have 46k miles on the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode