Truck lost its mind and scared the crap out of me... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2017-2019) 6.7 Problems Forum

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck lost its mind and scared the crap out of me...

I was towing my camper southbound on the WV Turnpike and came up on a construction zone. Only one lane open, and so for 10 or so miles we were all creeping along, stop and go to to about 20MPH. I'm in Tow mode with the engine brake on and leaving enough room in front so I can maintain a steadish pace and not racing forward and then needing to break constantly. Or anything silly. I'm pretty conservative when towing... Nothing was overheating that I could tell and the truck had been performing flawlessly all day..

At the end of this construction zone is a 5 or six mile 5% downhill grade. I started down the hill at low speed and generally just let the truck do its job, we sort of just coasted down the hill. As traffic ahead thinned out, I kept my foot off the pedal and let it gain speed until up to about 35 or 40 MPH. At that point the traffic gap ahead of me was wide enough that I felt safe giving it some throttle and speeding up some...

That's when all hell broke loose...

It happened fast, but as I recall it, just as I was pressing down on the pedal I noticed our speed (just under 40MPH) and, first gear... "that's off" I thought to myself. RPM was only 900 (or less - it happened so fast) so, no way I'm in first... At about this same instant my toe touches the pedal and WHAM! The truck pitched nose down, RPM redlined, the engine is screaming away like a banshee and I'm needing clean undies...

Now the console lights up with the Reduced Engine Power Mode message, the CEL is on and the truck is obviously not going to go anyplace fast. No throttle response, no power, I'm praying that I am not about to be rear ended because of the sudden slowdown...

I was able to find a wide spot between the construction cones and get into the closed lane, and now the engine has completely shutdown, no power steering or breaks... I managed to wrestle it to a stop and put it in park...

I took a second to start breathing again...

I looked over the gauges and temps looking for something I'd missed, didn't see anything... SO.. Turned the key to off, crossed fingers, and restarted... The engine purrs to life, CEO is on, no messages though...

I decided to try it out. Put it gear and crept along in the closed lane for a mile or so and everything seemed healthy, except that CEL... Decided to risk it, pulled back out into traffic and the truck went on for another 80 miles like nothing had ever gone wrong... At our stopover for the night I shut it off to top up on fuel, and when I restarted it, no CEL... Like it never hapened...

This morning I hooked up forscan lite and the only stored code is p0219 (Engine Overspeed Condition)... DUH!!!

The truck is bone stock... No programming or any other mods...

I guess I'm looking for feedback, something I did wrong? Or if there is something else I should be checking for that may be broken that was the root cause... It seems like I confused the computer somehow into thinking it needed to downshift, or it was really in first, but I'm not sure how I could ever be going at 40 MPH in first at under 1,000 RPM... It all weird and it was scary as hell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,726 Posts
Mentioned: 660 Post(s)
Quoted: 3794 Post(s)
Quote:
we sort of just coasted down the hill. As traffic ahead thinned out, I kept my foot off the pedal and let it gain speed until up to about 35 or 40 MPH. At that point the traffic gap ahead of me was wide enough that I felt safe giving it some throttle and speeding up some...
I am onboard with your obvious conclusion that your no pedal input speed increase had to be what tricked the computers and when the trans engaged it was actually in a much lower gear ( perhaps first) than it should have been

I would definitely talk to the dealer so at least there is some record of this anomaly in case they try to come at you later for the over rev ( hopefully others chime in with a similar experience.
you can't be the only one who has done this type of driving )
HeavyAssault and SparkyF250 like this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-13-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
Yes. I do think I somehow fooled the computers. I've went over again and again what I could have done to avoid the situation, shifting manually, turning off the engine break, turning off tow mode... In every case I can think of, if the tranny really was in first, then I would have ended up in the same palace. I definitely will be talking to the dealer, see if maybe I've missed a software update that addresses the problem... In the meantime I'm gonna be watching it like a hawk from now on in any similar driving conditions.
HeavyAssault likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
I am onboard with your obvious conclusion that your no pedal input speed increase had to be what tricked the computers and when the trans engaged it was actually in a much lower gear ( perhaps first) than it should have been
Anything is possible but I highly doubt a new computer controlled transmission would allow that. You can't even do that with a 30 year old automatic.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-13-2019, 04:13 PM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
I have had mine stay in first or second when in traffic if its in tow/haul. Not sure why it happens, but turning tow/haul off fixes it each time. Both times it happened to me, the truck was in regen.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

post #6 of 18 Old 06-13-2019, 04:13 PM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,726 Posts
Mentioned: 660 Post(s)
Quoted: 3794 Post(s)
Quote:
Anything is possible but I highly doubt a new computer controlled transmission would allow that.
but it seems that it did indeed happen

Quote:
I noticed our speed (just under 40MPH) and, first gear... "that's off" I thought to myself. RPM was only 900 (or less - it happened so fast) so, no way I'm in first... At about this same instant my toe touches the pedal and WHAM! The truck pitched nose down, RPM redlined, the engine is screaming away like a banshee and I'm needing clean undies...

6.0 flush pdf
post #7 of 18 Old 06-13-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
Anything is possible but I highly doubt a new computer controlled transmission would allow that. You can't even do that with a 30 year old automatic.
One damn thing is 100% for sure, no modern auto transmission SHOULD have done what it did.

I keep mulling it over - it felt just like I’d been holding down my non-existing clutch pedal and coasting, and then dumped the clutch in too low a gear. It felt and sounded exactly like that.

I’ve second guessed myself 1,000 times now, but I know I wasn’t in manual shift mode or anything just dumb. I’d wallow in that if I knew what I’d done wrong.

That’s the killer, I was being extra careful in what passes for the mountains here in the east and the truck did something really unexpected - or please somebody educate me on the error of my ways. I’m all ears, never-ever-ever want to do that again.

Anyways. I can not recommend that you hitch up a 10,000# camper and try this for yourself. 🙂
post #8 of 18 Old 06-13-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyS0b View Post
I have had mine stay in first or second when in traffic if its in tow/haul. Not sure why it happens, but turning tow/haul off fixes it each time. Both times it happened to me, the truck was in regen.
This is interesting. While I had FORScan on I checked to see when the last regen was... I can’t be 100% sure, but, working backwards... It is at least possible that I could have been in a regen... I guess I have to get that screen turned on.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-13-2019, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Even if you had it in manual shift mode it won't downshift into a lower gear if your going to fast for it.
Hydro likes this.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
Even if you had it in manual shift mode it won't downshift into a lower gear if your going to fast for it.
Agreed, so it must have been in first - or that seems the most logical thing. But... The mystery in my mind is what was "unhooked" that I could get going so fast, in such a low gear, and such low RPM... I'm thinking that it should have upshifted as I gained speed, and it clearly did not... Then, when I touched the throttle, whatever was "unhooked" hooked back up... I was in trouble. The poor people behind me were probably mad as hell at me for the sudden slowdown. Still feel lucky I wasn't rear ended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode