post #11 of 44 Old 06-10-2019, 05:06 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
@Hawk388 : Preach it Brother!
Hawk388 likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 06-10-2019, 05:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It almost looks like something was sitting on top of the grill when the hood was slammed shut.
HeavyAssault likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
post #13 of 44 Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
The way I look at this....Ford (or any brand really) puts in countless millions of dollars in R&D and testing that are equivalent to millions of road miles. They have all sorts of fancy items like wind tunnels and suspension testing gadgets that allow them to simulate real world and more scenarios. Oh and then they do real world testing too. They are smart people. And irrespective of my degree, I would never assume more wisdom than the engineers at Ford.

That said, defects do happen. But so do issues with latch (hood) adjustments which aren't (to me) defects. My 2017 does not seem to be showing this issue. Will it some day? Perhaps but I don't think this is widespread. And fortunately, it can be repaired and once the root issue is addressed (e.g. adjustment, latch, etc) I bet it wouldn't happen again.

2017 F350 DRW King Ranch FX4
Blue Jeans w/Caribou Accent
No mods...yet. Enjoying stock and full warranty!
2004 F350 6.0 - Traded 2/4/17 (Pity the fool who bought it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 Old 06-10-2019, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyD View Post
Who hurt you HeavyAssault?

Lol.
@TeddyD for the win.

jd4010, ZMANN, JustinOOO9 and 1 others like this.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #15 of 44 Old 06-10-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I think a few of you took OPs engineering comment the wrong way. He said he is an aerospace engineer and he is experienced with stress cracking. Too me, it looks like stress cracking. Ugh. I was going to defend OP but on the other hand, he states it’s definitely from driving down the road. Could be. Could be slamming the hood down with something interfering with the latch. Who knows.

From what I believe from feeling around the hood is the hood is hollow with the top and bottom aluminum stamped pieces being joined together by adhesive. It’s not the strongest design but in my opinion, based off of my experience of playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes, if this issue was caused by driving down the road, the drivers side would be severely more damaged due to oncoming traffic. The latch would help reduce the impact of the lifting on the passengers side which in turn would minimize the effects on that side. I didn’t look at the pics again but if I remember right, the damage was pretty even on both sides.

HeavyAssault didn’t choose his screen name, his screen name chose him. If you mention engineering degrees, he will HeavyAssault you on the topic. He did when I mentioned I was an engineer in the oilfield. lol. Good time Heavy. Not throwing shadeI don’t even use my engineering degree, I sit in an office and deal with ground disturbance documentation all day. Lol I must admit, on these forums, there are lots of “engineers”. I was always taught that an engineer created the design and the technician corrected the design.

Optimist says the glass of water is half full.

Pessimist says the glass is half empty.

Engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

It’s also like the engineer and the talking frog. Engineer finds a talking frog and the frog says “if you kiss me, I’ll turn into a beautiful woman and do anything you want to do for a full hour”. Engineer picks up the frog and puts it in his pocket. The frog then says “he buddy, if you kiss me, I will turn into a beautiful woman and let you do anything you want to me for a full day”. Engineer ignores the frog. Frog tries again “hey buddy, if you kiss me I’ll turn into a beautiful woman and let you do anything you want to me for a full week”. Engineer finally says to the frog “that’s cool and all but how often do you find a talking frog”.

The #1 comment I can’t stand on these forums is when someone says Ford spent billions of dollars on testing and they wouldn’t let something like that happen or whatever the normal comment is. Ford couldn’t even figure out after 5yrs that dielectric grease has to be used in exterior non waterproof wire harnesses. Lol. Never underestimate a companies greed to pinch pennies.

I’m done now. See guys, you can get your point across without stomping around huffing and puffing. Tell some jokes too. Lol.
ZMANN, iHenry and SparkyF250 like this.
post #16 of 44 Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM

More about the frog. I had a hooker come up to me today and say she will do anything I want for $20. Guess whose getting his porch painted right now. Lol
Gadgetguru and SparkyF250 like this.
post #17 of 44 Old 06-10-2019, 09:07 PM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 704 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
what is "porch painted " Hooker slang for ?

6.0 flush pdf
post #18 of 44 Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 PM

Good question. It’s when the hooker comes over to your house dressed in white jump suit. She then bends over an opens a can of paint to which she dips a paint brush in. She then brushes the paint onto the walls of you homes front porch. After a few hours, you porch magically transformed itself to a different colour. Lol.
post #19 of 44 Old 06-11-2019, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,069 Times in 998 Posts
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The OP hasn't been back since his last post stating he was an engineer. As far as stress cracks go, of course it's a stress crack. It's highly unlikely it would have cracked without some form of stress applied. He did not state the mileage of the truck, nor do we get to see the top side of the hood. It may be undamaged as he says, but I'm in the group that thinks it was more likely to be caused by something under the hood or an improperly aligned latch than from wind shear. My truck has 58k on it now and there's no sign of cracking in that area or anywhere else. I have seen the hood flex a few times, but it isn't flexing all of the time at highway speeds.

Bad parts happen. It could be a factory defect, but I hardly think we can condemn all of these trucks from one report of cracking. Especially when the op doesn't have full knowledge of how it happened or likely even when it happened.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #20 of 44 Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 3309 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
The OP hasn't been back since his last post stating he was an engineer. As far as stress cracks go, of course it's a stress crack. It's highly unlikely it would have cracked without some form of stress applied. He did not state the mileage of the truck, nor do we get to see the top side of the hood. It may be undamaged as he says, but I'm in the group that thinks it was more likely to be caused by something under the hood or an improperly aligned latch than from wind shear. My truck has 58k on it now and there's no sign of cracking in that area or anywhere else. I have seen the hood flex a few times, but it isn't flexing all of the time at highway speeds.

Bad parts happen. It could be a factory defect, but I hardly think we can condemn all of these trucks from one report of cracking. Especially when the op doesn't have full knowledge of how it happened or likely even when it happened.
Hell no he hasn't been back, not after the beatings by @HeavyAssault @TeddyD and @Hawk388
I have to laugh though, as I have my own experiences with engineers. In a past life I was a process engineer which isn't really an engineer at all. My job was to put into production the things that engineers had designed. That's not a job for the faint of heart.
Heavy_GD and Hawk388 like this.

Sparky

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode