Super Moderator

Thanked 2,139 Times in 2,047 Posts
Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 KRLB City Slicker View Post
I can feel my wheels(or the damper) start to vibrate in the steering wheel but not go "full" death wobble as of yet.
You get it, most of these "feelings" are not the death wobble.

A lot of parts are underspec'd, that's why we are here improving an documenting.

Most should be happy they are getting recalls and TSBs.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 01-13-2020, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 KRLB City Slicker View Post
I can feel my wheels(or the damper) start to vibrate in the steering wheel but not go "full" death wobble as of yet. 3,193 on the dial on a rig I bought in September of 19 so very thankful for the factory warranty and the extended coverage I got that warranties the uncovered stuff...but jeez you would think that after all the issues and complaints on the older models plus Dodge's issues they would start tackling this head on

That will be very disappointing if it starts happening in addition to the 2 recalls(the carpet foil/the DRL) and the FSA for the power steering hoses not being cured(???)
I was the same way, I could "feel" it coming on for a long time, but not the full death wobble, until it was. I felt like the steering damper was doing it's job until it couldn't anymore. They replaced the damper, and it is working ok, but I think it is a matter of time till the new one wears out. On the service ticket it said, "replace steering damper with new spec steering damper". If it starts happening again, I will look into parts to adjust the caster, or trade the beast in.
post #63 of 78 Old 01-24-2020, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, third time in the dealer this week. Just a quick recap, first time they did a damper replacement, traction bar end (i think) and that stupid alignment correction (I call it stupid because no way realigning to a different degree would be a fix to the death wobble). Second time in they put a "beefier" damper on (there words, not mine). This time they listed of 5 different things to where I can't remember all of them that they said are failing. I asked why that wasn't done last time since the problem hasn't been corrected. No answer, only them trying to solicit more work (fuel injector cleaning, fuel filters, fluids etc). Plus I have a $200 deductible on my extended plan everytime I bring it in, plus a few hundred in rental car fee's since they have no loaner program. I'm getting beyond fed up with this shyt. Thinking of calling corporate and getting rental and deductibe reimbursed since the problem still isn't fixed since it was under the initial factory warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 78 Old 01-28-2020, 03:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got my truck back last night update;

So wasn't 5 parts, but was the drag link, drag link bar and passenger side lower tie rod. I of course asked if Ford was doing anything more to correct this known issue and apparently there is now a new, beefier damper released, but no dealers have it yet. I told the service writer so when I see him again in a month they should have them since that's probably what they will replace again? He then tells me that it seems the guys going with aftermarket replacements are seeing greater success. While I believe that can be true, its bs that we should be paying for aftermarket to fix a Ford problem. Anyway, I know it will happen again. I'm just beyond aggravated at this point.
post #65 of 78 Old 01-29-2020, 04:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm... You guys have me questioning what I am about to do. I am currently shopping for a 2018 F-350 Platinum DRW to tow my 17,500 # 5th wheel camper. I have been using a 1999 7.3 PSD that I purchased new in 1998 have been very happy with for 22 years.

I have located several trucks that are equipped like I want them but now I am a little apprehensive about pulling the trigger. So far, the only success story I have read in this thread is to add an aftermarket steering damper. Does anyone here know how Ford will stand behind a used 2018 "Certified" truck concerning this issue? I have been away from the forum for quite a while because my current Powerstroke has performed flawlessly for 22 years. I had no idea this has been an issue for so long. I would like to think that Ford learned something from the 6.0 cluster f***!!!

99 F250 7.3 PSD |3:73 Gear | 2004 Excel 35MKO 5er |
RVer | [URL="http://jimntrish.com/"]Our Blog
post #66 of 78 Old 01-29-2020, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc91 View Post
Hmmm... You guys have me questioning what I am about to do. I am currently shopping for a 2018 F-350 Platinum DRW to tow my 17,500 # 5th wheel camper. I have been using a 1999 7.3 PSD that I purchased new in 1998 have been very happy with for 22 years.

I have located several trucks that are equipped like I want them but now I am a little apprehensive about pulling the trigger. So far, the only success story I have read in this thread is to add an aftermarket steering damper. Does anyone here know how Ford will stand behind a used 2018 "Certified" truck concerning this issue? I have been away from the forum for quite a while because my current Powerstroke has performed flawlessly for 22 years. I had no idea this has been an issue for so long. I would like to think that Ford learned something from the 6.0 cluster f***!!!
I had it happen again this morning. Not even a full 2 days after I got the truck back for the 3rd time. I'm going to call the dealer again and talk to the service manager and also probably call someone above the dealership. I'm shooting for the sky, but I'm tempted to tell them to pay for and install an aftermarket damper since this is a Ford issue. I've spent so much time and money dealing with this crap. I don't want to trade the truck in since it's mostly paid off already, but I'm at a loss.
post #67 of 78 Old 01-29-2020, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleev-les View Post
I had it happen again this morning. Not even a full 2 days after I got the truck back for the 3rd time. I'm going to call the dealer again and talk to the service manager and also probably call someone above the dealership. I'm shooting for the sky, but I'm tempted to tell them to pay for and install an aftermarket damper since this is a Ford issue. I've spent so much time and money dealing with this crap. I don't want to trade the truck in since it's mostly paid off already, but I'm at a loss.
After trying 2 Motorcraft dampers (stock replacements) and having them fail within a short time, I tried a stock replacement from Monroe (#SC2967, bought from RockAuto). So far (2 months) it's worked great with zero wheel wobble. It feels like it is a more solid damper than the Motorcraft parts. Only time will really tell.

-Mark-

2000 F250 XL Regular Cab, 7.3 PSD 4WD, 159,940 miles (Sold)
2018 F350 XL Super Cab, 6.7 PSD, DRW, 4WD, 8' bed
post #68 of 78 Old 01-29-2020, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by msell View Post
After trying 2 Motorcraft dampers (stock replacements) and having them fail within a short time, I tried a stock replacement from Monroe (#SC2967, bought from RockAuto). So far (2 months) it's worked great with zero wheel wobble. It feels like it is a more solid damper than the Motorcraft parts. Only time will really tell.
I'm going with the Fox replacement. I've called the dealership today and Ford Customer Service. FCS is "looking into it" and acknowledge the new damper is "being developed" so I'm done waiting. I can replace it myself cheaper than my $200 deductible. Before I buy, I'll look at the part you referenced as well. Thanks for the info.
post #69 of 78 Old 02-07-2020, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bought a Fox ATS stabilizer. Putting it on tomorrow. Hopefully it helps. Meanwhile Ford customer care has done jack. Lady always seems to call when I'm not around my phone. I call her back on the extension she gives me and the extension is not valid. I email her and she doesn't respond. Her voicemails say she still can't get a hold of my Ford service department. Well duh, if you keep giving a callback extension that isn't valid, kind of hard to do. In my email I stated her extension doesn't work. Next step which I'm getting ready to do in a few minutes is register a complaint with NHTSA and possibly BBB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleev-les For This Useful Post:
jimc91 (02-07-2020)
post #70 of 78 Old 02-07-2020, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleev-les View Post
Bought a Fox ATS stabilizer. Putting it on tomorrow. Hopefully it helps. Meanwhile Ford customer care has done jack. Lady always seems to call when I'm not around my phone. I call her back on the extension she gives me and the extension is not valid. I email her and she doesn't respond. Her voicemails say she still can't get a hold of my Ford service department. Well duh, if you keep giving a callback extension that isn't valid, kind of hard to do. In my email I stated her extension doesn't work. Next step which I'm getting ready to do in a few minutes is register a complaint with NHTSA and possibly BBB.
Let us know how the Fox ATS works. Im still under bumper to bumper warranty and about to take it in for the 3rd time for wobble. I just have them fix it since its covered (so they can waste their money and hopefully redesign it) but once out of warranty ill probably just go aftermarket.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Soldó2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode