Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.7 Problems Forum (2017-2019) (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-problems-forum-2017-2019/)
-   -   "Collision Avoidance Not Available" on start up (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-problems-forum-2017-2019/1297402-collision-avoidance-not-available-start-up.html)

swilson143 12-14-2017 09:55 AM

"Collision Avoidance Not Available" on start up

Anyone else seeing this error message pop up? I get it about 50% of the time lately, always on a cold start. It's at the dealer for the 2nd time for this today.

Moflash 12-14-2017 10:37 AM

I have had this intermittent issue also

cletusjermal 12-14-2017 03:00 PM

I had it pop up once last week. That was the first time though.

swilson143 12-15-2017 03:39 PM

76 Attachment(s)
Can you both confirm you only get the something right at start up?

Ford had my truck five days last week three days this week and it's still not solved. The service writer just let me know I should plan to keep this rental truck through the weekend. No bueno.

JuniorDiesel 12-16-2017 11:17 AM

Yep, have had a couple of times. Always on cold start. Also affects adaptive cruise control. If you shut off the truck and then restart it will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimmyle89 12-16-2017 06:23 PM

I had it this morning. It was cold start about 30 degrees outside. What were temps for you guys? maybe a weather related issue?

cletusjermal 12-17-2017 11:36 AM

Mine was right at start up. I believe the motor was cold too. Hasn’t done it since but I have been traveling and not driving it much.

Heavy_GD 12-18-2017 05:36 AM

maybe the sensor had frost on it... With electronics I think you could spend a lifetime chasing cold start gremlins.

If there isnt a CEL on, or a code, the dealer is useless.

swilson143 12-18-2017 02:56 PM

The dealer says they finally solved it. They said on start-up the module (which I don't know) wasn't getting a signal from one of the yaw-pitch-roll type sensors. They reset the module that has the sensor in it and have not gotten the error message since. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Heavy_GD 12-19-2017 06:47 AM

these electronic trucks follow zero logic :rofl: get your extended warranties paid boys!

I appreciate all you guys posting the resolutions here... it will help down the road for sure.

If you can get the print out from the service with the mechanics notes that would be cool too.

swilson143 01-25-2018 06:31 AM

After a total of 3 dealer visits and 20 total days without my truck, I think they've finally truly fixed it this time. They had to replace the restraint module, which is located on the tranny tunnel under the center console. I've had it back a week and not seen the error message. Previously it was a daily occurrence.

cletusjermal 01-25-2018 03:57 PM

That is good. Mine hasnít done it anymore other then that 1 time a few months back

bottomland4x4 12-07-2018 06:52 PM

Mine did this the other day, drove about 12 miles to town, could not get either cruise control to work. Went in and had breakfast and the truck was fine after that. I did tap on the sensor box in the front bumper before I started it, don't know if it helped or not. It was a cool morning around 30 degrees, there was no frost my truck was in my shop. I googled searched the problem and it seems pretty common on f150s.

Alberta Advantage 12-08-2018 06:49 AM

Just brought my truck in for this issue on Friday. Dealership thinks itís because I put a leveling kit on my truck and the sensor needs to be realigned. Too bad itís an intermittent issue and happened before I installed my leveling kit and after.

swilson143 12-08-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swilson143 (Post 15704202)
After a total of 3 dealer visits and 20 total days without my truck, I think they've finally truly fixed it this time. They had to replace the restraint module, which is located on the tranny tunnel under the center console. I've had it back a week and not seen the error message. Previously it was a daily occurrence.

I have not had a reoccurrence since they replaced the module. I've added a leveling kit since then, it had no affect on any of the electronics.

6.7Scorpion 12-09-2018 09:33 AM

I had this issue pop up from time to time, maybe every 1500 kms or so. I had a whole series of alarms come in with this. Adaptive cruise unavailable, service advance trac, pre collision assist unavailable, hill start assist unavailable, hill decent control fault, and would not let me take it out of adaptive cruise mode into manual mode until i restart the truck. I have a 4" lift and they did a recalibration on the system and has been good since (almost 2000kms). I was also told that this is sometimes seen with a loose pitman arm so that something else to check.

Alberta Advantage 12-24-2018 08:00 AM

Dealership replaced my entire ďblack boxĒ in the front of the bumper and I was good for a couple of weeks. The other day, I had the same message reappear. Iím booked in for the new year.

Alberta Advantage 01-07-2019 06:42 PM

Update on the situation: brought my truck in today and itís throwing the same code as before. Fordís recommended course of action for said code is to change the adaptive cruise control assembly which theyíve already done once. Theyíve sent a request to Ford for direction.

bottomland4x4 01-07-2019 06:47 PM

Update to my issue with the warning, if I use the remote start and I get in the truck and press the start button, the warning comes up. Shut the truck off and restart and everything is fine. My collision avoidance not available comes up only if I use the remote start. Anyone else notice this with their truck?

Alberta Advantage 01-07-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottomland4x4 (Post 16218547)
Update to my issue with the warning, if I use the remote start and I get in the truck and press the start button, the warning comes up. Shut the truck off and restart and everything is fine. My collision avoidance not available comes up only if I use the remote start. Anyone else notice this with their truck?

Mine is the same. As long as I restart the engine, it seems to work. However, the code is stored and was accessed by the local dealership even though I pressed the ďokĒ button to acknowledge it not working and even after numerous engine shutdown and restarts. Guess Iíll find out whatís wrong tomorrow or Wednesday and see which part they throw at it next.

bottomland4x4 01-12-2019 05:24 PM

What did you find out? I remote started my truck today and Everything worked like it's supposed to. So it's hit or miss on the cruise working.

Alberta Advantage 01-12-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottomland4x4 (Post 16221599)
What did you find out? I remote started my truck today and Everything worked like it's supposed to. So it's hit or miss on the cruise working.

Ford asked the dealership to check for a laundry list of random things. They were asked to ensure thereís no corrosion on the plugs/connectors, no aftermarket components tapped into the circuitry, ensure continuity between circuits, check fuses and voltage, etc. As explained to me by the service manager, this is typical procedure to check all electrical components/harnesses when thereís intermittent issues. Received a phone call explaining that all the things Ford had them check came back normal and the dealership is currently awaiting a response from Ford. Iíve since filed a complaint with Transport Canada with regards to a defect with a safety feature. Weíll see if government intervention yields a faster remedy to my problem.

blackfords 01-13-2019 05:19 PM

3 times now...
19 superduty diesel

Alberta Advantage 01-17-2019 05:05 PM

Ford sent out a regional engineer to the dealership. Verdict is that the pre-collision assist not available error is due to a voltage spike that happens when you use the remote start. Itís a computer/programming issue. Thereís no ETA on an update but Ford is aware of some vehicles having this issue. I guess that the current/voltage deltas are out of range and throw the code. The engineer says that thereís no need to worry about these voltage spikes affecting other modules on the truck. Iím not sold on this as itís intermittent. Most of the time, I donít get the error when using remote start. Iím currently proceeding with arbitration for Ford to buy back the vehicle. Iíll be picking up my truck tomorrow so hopefully, everything is better documented and I can post a copy of the work order.

blackfords 01-17-2019 05:21 PM

Just had mine come up again without remote start. Only 650 miles on her

JuniorDiesel 04-06-2019 02:02 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alberta Advantage 06-11-2019 10:41 PM

After dealing with the Canadian equivalent of Lemon Law, it looks like my truck will be bought back as Ford was unable to fix the software problem with my adaptive cruise control/pre collision assist not available error in the 60 days set out by a third party arbitrator. Ford acknowledged there was an issue when they sent a letter (manufacturerís defence) dated early February stating theyíre aware of the problem and ďrecommend in the interim to cancel the remote start prior to starting the vehicle to prohibit this concern from happening.Ē

Iím frustrated that in five months, Ford wasnít able to figure this issue out. Seems like Iíll be the one left holding the bag as Iím not compensated for aftermarket parts on my truck and must return the vehicle to stock/OEM form. By going through arbitration, Iím unable to file a legal claim. Iím hoping that Ford not complying with the arbitratorís orders will allow me to go the legal route. I have a teleconference next week to discuss the repair award not being completed. Not sure what that means.

swilson143 06-12-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swilson143 (Post 15704202)

Sorry to hear they haven't fixed it. Did they try the same module Ford replaced on my truck? I haven't had any issues since they replaced that restraint module.