2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-07-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Backup Camera Intermittent Failure

I have the backup camera in the tailgate that displays on the navigation unit. For a few months now the camera will at times flicker horribly where it is literally unusable. Sometimes I even get an error message that says the camera is unavailable and to take it into service for repair.

However, I have found that if I engage the parking break and release it sharply a couple times the camera will snap back to completely normal function. So, knowing this "fix" I haven't bothered to take the truck in. I am not excited to leave it with them for who knows how many days to find the issue. I need my truck.

I've read some things online that seem to indicate that there is some sort of ground wire tied in with the parking break that might be the issue. Does anyone know anything about that and if so what am I looking for exactly? There are quite a few wires and bundles under there and I really don't know what I am looking at in order to try to fix this myself. It would be nice if it is just some loose connection that I need to fix. Could be easy if I knew what to check.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
I have the backup camera in the tailgate that displays on the navigation unit. For a few months now the camera will at times flicker horribly where it is literally unusable. Sometimes I even get an error message that says the camera is unavailable and to take it into service for repair.

However, I have found that if I engage the parking break and release it sharply a couple times the camera will snap back to completely normal function. So, knowing this "fix" I haven't bothered to take the truck in. I am not excited to leave it with them for who knows how many days to find the issue. I need my truck.

I've read some things online that seem to indicate that there is some sort of ground wire tied in with the parking break that might be the issue. Does anyone know anything about that and if so what am I looking for exactly? There are quite a few wires and bundles under there and I really don't know what I am looking at in order to try to fix this myself. It would be nice if it is just some loose connection that I need to fix. Could be easy if I knew what to check.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I would take it in. You shouldn't have to go thru this with the amount of $$$ our Trucks cost. Is it still under warranty?

Larry
2015 F-350 CCLB DRW, Lariat Ultimate,
2nd Gen. 6.7L "Scorpion" Turbo Diesel,
440HP/860TQ, Torque Shift 6-speed,
Tuxedo Black W/Charcoal Black Int.,
14,000 LB GVWR,
3:73 Gears W/Limited Slip,
17" Polished Forge Alum. Wheels,
BFG All-Terrain Tires,
Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Pkg.,
Spray In Bed-Liner,
Supplemental Cab Heater,
Camper Pkg.,
Chrome Pkg.,
FX4-Off Road Pkg.,
Upfitter Switches,
Engine Block Heater,
9025 Lbs. on the CAT Scales.

"Mack Daddy Scorpion!"
post #3 of 16 Old 02-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
You have a connector close to the parking brake that the camera feed is routed through to the the radio. Connector C 210...left side of the instrument panel. There two other connectors in the passenger side. One is behind kick panel C 265 and the other is higher up on the passenger side C 2383.

Sounds like connect C 210 might be loose and bad connection or maybe a wire that is chaffed.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-07-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My truck is at nearly 40K miles. So, it is beyond the warranty. I did purchase the 200K miles extended warranty but I think that just covers major things like the diesel engine and transmission. I doubt it covers the backup camera.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
ask them...it might cover it...go check the ford ESP for info on what is covered....i for sure would ask

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
post #6 of 16 Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Backup Camera Intermittent Failure

I'll check at my next oil change which is coming up before long. I am betting they'll want to keep the truck for several days and that is a pain. They kept my truck about 5-6 days just to change out a simple emissions sensor on the exhaust pipe. I think the problem here is that the dealerships are very busy and they don't put your truck in queue unless they have it onsite. That is for any repair work as opposed to service work.

That's why if the fix was really simple I'd rather do it myself and avoid the trouble. But I'll see what they have to say about it being warrantied.

Last edited by newbold1; 02-08-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-14-2017, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
BUMP! Would anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or a pinout for the above mentioned connectors? Mine's doing the same thing (2014 F350 DRW). I'm considering relocating the C210 connector OFF of the parking brake mount to avoid any further issues, but I've first got to identify and correct the deficiency.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same problem on my 2015 F250. Anyone have any luck?
post #9 of 16 Old 10-27-2017, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderXLT View Post
BUMP! Would anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or a pinout for the above mentioned connectors? Mine's doing the same thing (2014 F350 DRW). I'm considering relocating the C210 connector OFF of the parking brake mount to avoid any further issues, but I've first got to identify and correct the deficiency.
I have 2015 F250 and it has the same issue. I do think it's a loose connector or bad wire issue. I was homing in on the tailgate area, since that moves so much. But connector in cab sounds like another good option.

I would appreciate if anybody finds the location on their truck, so I can try. I am out of warranty .... 7000 miles over it.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 2014 F-250 with the same intermittent backup camera issue. I found the wire harness that is fastened to the e break bracket was the problem area. When the camera fails I reach up under the e break and grab the harness and give it a couple tugs. This has solved the problem, every time, so far and releasing the break with my foot on it so it does not snap out helps a lot. Sooner or later I will dig into the connector up there or have the dealer do it when the truck is in for something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode