Anyone who has had an EGT sensor fail, please read - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-17-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone who has had an EGT sensor fail, please read

So the NHTSA is finally looking into this issue. If you have had a sensor fail or more then one, PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT with them. Since the attention has started, the more complaints the better.

I love Ford but they definitely need to fix this!! This also needs to be expanded beyond the 2011-2012 MYs. We all know 13s and 14s have had the same issue and although no one has reported their 15 doing this yet, it is only a matter of time since they all use the same sensor.

Ford Pickups Face Probe After Stalling, Stranding Drivers - Bloomberg
DIGMAR likes this.

15 6.7 F350 CCSB 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire
Husky mats, all LED interior, Nushield for MFT, Bakflip F1 with Bakbox 2, Dieselsite fuel filter, DeeZee tailgate assist, Hellwig Rear Sway bar, Bilstein 5100s

dlr

**Support the Online Vendors!!! Want your best price, buy from Scott Pratt!! Get your truck in 3-4 weeks, order to delivered!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to blwnsmoke For This Useful Post:
TW720HVY (01-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-18-2015, 02:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Mods can we get this stickied?

2015 F250 XLT crew cab long bed 4x4.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattler1 For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (01-18-2015), TW720HVY (01-19-2015)
post #3 of 25 Old 01-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do I go about making a complaint I had one changed which left me stranded, then 2 days after I got the truck back 2 more went out then I had the other 3 changed, truck did fine for about another 20000 mi now at 169000 my motor is blown not sure the cause yet but I did get the esp 200000 mi warranty, I'm assuming the valves as it is a 2011 model they did say there was no compression on I believe cyl 3, 5, and 8. Also I cost me $800 to fix the egt sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 01-21-2015, 05:22 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
After reading the article was the recall specific to the ambulance chassis only? How did they know which 3,000 trucks to recall? I never heard anything about this prior to this post.

Quote:
Ford recalled about 3,000 Super Duty trucks in October 2013, specifically models that had been sold to be customized as ambulances. In that situation, vehicles would emit audible chimes five times before shutting down. The trucks couldn’t be immediately restarted, according to NHTSA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 01-21-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh48 View Post
How do I go about making a complaint I had one changed which left me stranded, then 2 days after I got the truck back 2 more went out then I had the other 3 changed, truck did fine for about another 20000 mi now at 169000 my motor is blown not sure the cause yet but I did get the esp 200000 mi warranty, I'm assuming the valves as it is a 2011 model they did say there was no compression on I believe cyl 3, 5, and 8. Also I cost me $800 to fix the egt sensors.
NTSB Complaints

This link should take you to the NTSB complaint form...

I urge anyone who has had a sensor fail to file a complaint.....

2011 F-350 CC LB SRW Larriet 6.7 PSD with a limited edition rear end bounce @ 43 mph.
post #6 of 25 Old 01-21-2015, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Posted on TDS by gofaster23:

Hot off the presses. Affects Job 1 (first truck) through build date 11/6/2013.

FSA 14e03
"
In all of the affected vehicles, the Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) system calibration must be updated to meet emission guidelines. In addition, the updated calibration contains additional improvements to the SCR system including reduced temperature sensor faults and improved drivability. "

I do not know the details on this only the brief description given.

Seems it is a recall that just got issues as a member on TDS just posted he put in his VIN and it populated as a recall

FIELD SERVICE ACTION NUMBER: 14E03

FSA TITLE: REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Husky mats, all LED interior, Nushield for MFT, Bakflip F1 with Bakbox 2, Dieselsite fuel filter, DeeZee tailgate assist, Hellwig Rear Sway bar, Bilstein 5100s

dlr

**Support the Online Vendors!!! Want your best price, buy from Scott Pratt!! Get your truck in 3-4 weeks, order to delivered!!

post #7 of 25 Old 01-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Posted on TDS by gofaster23:

Hot off the presses. Affects Job 1 (first truck) through build date 11/6/2013.

FSA 14e03
"
In all of the affected vehicles, the Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) system calibration must be updated to meet emission guidelines. In addition, the updated calibration contains additional improvements to the SCR system including reduced temperature sensor faults and improved drivability. "

I do not know the details on this only the brief description given.

Seems it is a recall that just got issues as a member on TDS just posted he put in his VIN and it populated as a recall

FIELD SERVICE ACTION NUMBER: 14E03

FSA TITLE: REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
So that would explain why the egt sensors are the same in the '15's - it is a pcm issue.

post #8 of 25 Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler1 View Post
So that would explain why the egt sensors are the same in the '15's - it is a pcm issue.
It is possible... but then I have to ask the question. If it is only a computer programming issue, why has Ford been swapping out all of these sensors just to put another sensor in them?

I can't tell from this recall on whether it is an update just to prevent the 10 second shutdown or if in fact it will solve the sensor failures.

If it is software, it could also explain why waiting 45 minutes and then restarting allows you to continue on your way.

It is still too grey for me to agree that this fixes the whole EGT sensor issue once and for all.

-----

Off topic but kind of relates in a way. So the 2011-2014 Explorers have been prone to EPAS failures. Ford finally recalled them late last year but the recall stated if yours hasn't failed yet, you get a software update, if it has failed or has codes in the system from the failure, you get a new $1,800 EPAS.

So owners went in and had the software flashed and guess what.. they still failed afterwards. Not only that, Ford is saying, they honored the recall and flashed the computer so now that it has failed afterwards, the owner is responsible for the replacement.

So although two separate things.. not ready to feel comfortable that this update fixes it.. although if it doesn't, it is still just a $50 sensor, not a $1,800 repair.

dlr

post #9 of 25 Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 AM

Maybe they are just changing the programming to throw a code WITHOUT shutting the whole system down if a sensor does go bad.

I know some of these sensors can be finicky and act bad even though they are good - maybe just need cleaned either manually or just have the gunk burned off over time. I know there are some additives that claim to clean the sensors. I have used them in gas engines with decent success.

post #10 of 25 Old 01-21-2015, 11:26 AM

I hope it does fix it, but seeing how Ford has become at customer service, I am betting that they are just closing the loop hole that allows you to restart after 45 minutes (cool down) after shut down, forcing you to be towed to dealer...

2011 F-350 CC LB SRW Larriet 6.7 PSD with a limited edition rear end bounce @ 43 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode