LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 08-05-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
P20BA CEL Code

***EDITED***
For those who may experience the P20BA code. It is for "Reductant Heater A Control Performance". Its an issue with the DEF tank heater and is covered under the 5 year/50,000 mile warranty for trucks over 8,500 gvw. If you take it to the dealership likely they will refernce their service manual. That tells them to clear ot out and then cycle the truck to see if the CEL will come back on. In my experience (and that of others from other forums) it will not come back on right away for them. Therefore if its under warranty you are stuck paying a diagnostics fee for them to say nothing is wrong and give you your keys back. It will come back on soon after you pick it up (at least in my case and that of those I read on other forums). When it does, take it back and have them check it again. Eventually they will find the reservior needs replaced and fix the issue.

Last edited by ctrow89; 08-07-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-05-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Full story if anyone cares:
About two weeks ago CEL came on. Vehicle was one week out of 3 yr/36K warranty at that point. Ran it to Auto Zone to get the code read and came back as P20BA, but they didn't know what it meant. Ran to the dealership and they tell me it's not a Ford Code. Come home, do the research and find out it is in fact a Ford code and it's for "Reductant Heater A Control Performance." Other forums show it's for the DEF tank heater. Do some more research and find out my 2011 F-250 is covered under the 5 yr/50K emissions warranty, so I schedule apt with the dealership to get it in and taken care of. Today was the earliest they could get it in and I made several trips to the dealership prior to this to make sure warranty would cover it. Brought in the part number I found on a different forum and they told me that if in fact that was the problem it would be covered under the emissions warranty. Dropped it off this morning and just went to pick it up this afternoon. They told me on the phone the code came back to a problem in the DEF system and the tech followed the procedures for it. They tell me the code cleared up and they retested it, but nothing came back. When I go to pick it up they tell me I have to pay the one hr labor charge for diagnostics ($135) because they didn't replace anything. They tell me there was nothing wrong in the system and it must've been a hiccup, so warranty won't cover it. Service manager tells me that Ford won't pay them the diagnostics fee as a warranty claim if he were to submit it unless they replace a part.

Last edited by ctrow89; 08-07-2014 at 09:27 AM.
post #3 of 36 Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,020 Posts
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
will they refund you when the code comes back.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 08-05-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
will they refund you when the code comes back.
They said they are leaving the ticket open for 30 days. If within that 30 days it comes back on I can take it back in free of charge for diagnostics. Until they actually have to replace something such as the DEF heater, they will not refund the money.
post #5 of 36 Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry to hear you fell victim to budget cuts. Hopefully the dealership will get you taken care of and congrats on the baby being due. $135 would buy a few boxes of diapers
post #6 of 36 Old 08-07-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Outcome: Picked the truck up Tuesday and told them I will be back later with the same issue. From reading around I learned the tech manual has them clear it, cycle the engine and see if it comes back on whoch typically doesnt happen. Others with the same issue had the light come on anywhere from the same day they pick up their truck to a few days later. Well mine came on the very next morning, so I took it back down. They called 2 hrs later saying the DEF reservoir needed to be replaced. Since theyre finally replacing a part (the one I told them I needed replaced when I scheduled my appointment) they are refunding my $135. Such a headache, but it all worked out in the end. So, if you ever get the code dont give up hope! It might take a trip or 2 extra, but they eventually figure it out.
post #7 of 36 Old 08-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Are there any delete kits for the 6.7? Or is it because it's under warranty you don't want to mess with it? I own a 6.0 and not looking to upgrade any time soon because of the uria tanks. I'm paying for diesel, and now I gotta pay for the piss fluid? Only way I'll upgrade is if there is a delete kit or the truck has been deleted. Glad to hear it worked out in the end though OP.

Sent from tapatalk PRO ........ I WISH

--MAX--
post #8 of 36 Old 08-07-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokersixo View Post
Are there any delete kits for the 6.7? Or is it because it's under warranty you don't want to mess with it? I own a 6.0 and not looking to upgrade any time soon because of the uria tanks. I'm paying for diesel, and now I gotta pay for the piss fluid? Only way I'll upgrade is if there is a delete kit or the truck has been deleted. Glad to hear it worked out in the end though OP.

Not looking to mess with it bc of warranty and the fact I dont have money to. Once the warranty is up Im hoping to have money and delete it/straight pipe it. As far as I know they do have the delete kits though. I had a 6.0 (non-bulletproofed) before I traded to this and even paying for DEF is worth it. More power and much smoother ride. And I really loved my 6.0 too.
post #9 of 36 Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrow89 View Post
Not looking to mess with it bc of warranty and the fact I dont have money to. Once the warranty is up Im hoping to have money and delete it/straight pipe it. As far as I know they do have the delete kits though. I had a 6.0 (non-bulletproofed) before I traded to this and even paying for DEF is worth it. More power and much smoother ride. And I really loved my 6.0 too.
I see, sure. I'd do the same because of warranty, never know if the turbo will grenade the motor or something else. When's the warranty expire?

Yeah man. I love my 6.0 with the previous owner upgrading the turbo to a pmax, love it even more.

--MAX--
post #10 of 36 Old 08-08-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokersixo View Post
I see, sure. I'd do the same because of warranty, never know if the turbo will grenade the motor or something else. When's the warranty expire?

Yeah man. I love my 6.0 with the previous owner upgrading the turbo to a pmax, love it even more.

There's an emmissions warranty that will expire July 2016 or 50K miles, a powertrain warranty that I think expires July 2016 or 60K miles and then there is the Powerstroke engine warranty which is good for I can't remember number of years or 100K miles. Confusing, but basically another 2 years I believe and I can tell EPA to screw themselves and do as I please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode