post #21 of 36 Old 12-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 333 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 012' grand black beast View Post
SIK-06,

I just went through it this past year and up till august they didn't know how to fix it. Read up on my earlier posts for my experience. I had to leave it with the shop for 5 days for them to trouble shoot it and really fix it. There are 3 codes the my truck had. I had to get a brand new DEF tank, heater, pump and system, there are two different heaters in the system, make sure they OHM both out to find out which is bad. Also there are a number of electronic sensors that gave the third code i can't remember what it was, ill have to look over my work orders to find it for you. But after they replaced all that over a 14 month period it was finally fixed. Just in time for me to sell it and switch to a Chevy. Couldn't deal with the Ford any more and their absolutely horrible customer service.
ohm testing isnt always accurate. especially with heaters. last one i had ohmed out fine. but failed live

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 12-03-2016, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya View Post
ohm testing isnt always accurate. especially with heaters. last one i had ohmed out fine. but failed live

I Agree on this, My Heater was very close to Ohm spec. Just slightly off but would not cycle. You can download Forscan on a PC and use a cheap OBD WIFI,Bluetooth or wired connector. You can control all the reductant stuff with it.

The one that was bad on my truck would not cycle on and the current would not budge. I then verified that the harness was good by disconnecting an watching all the other info flat line( tank level voltage, Reductant purge valve, ex..) Forscan is a good option for a lot of DIY service. Can't do it all but can do enough.
kaya and Marine59 like this.

2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat
3.31 ELOD 4X4 6.7 Power stroke
01/24/2017 110,000 MI
S&B CAI
SCT X4 Tuner
Running a tow tune by AMDP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( on-demand exhaust brake from the AMDP tune).LED interior,LED AUX back-up,Westin HDX grill guard,High-idle,Aux 55 Gal Transfer tank,Draw-Tite Hide-A-Hitch gooseneck,LED puddle lights.4000x2 LED lights up front for dark country roads. Access Low profile bed cover.
Roof clearance lights.
post #23 of 36 Old 11-18-2018, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Digging up an old thread.... Because I use the search function. Lol.
So I just had this code pop up today. It's well above freezing here and has been for over 36 hours. Does the heater still cycle even when it is above freezing? The truck is still under warranty. Would it be worth it to clear the code and see if it comes back, or will the dealer do the same thing and send me on my way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 Old 11-25-2018, 11:02 AM

Well, it disappeared on its own. I remember reading that it will try again after a few key cycles, or something like that. The only thing that I did differently in recent days is I had the key on with the engine off because I wanted the headlights on while I was working on something for a couple minutes. So I'm wondering if that may have triggered the heater issue. Does anyone know if that is a possibility? Or should I just look forward to the code returning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
post #25 of 36 Old 12-04-2018, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
2014 model with 45,000 miles.

Day started with no CEL. Came on after my 2nd or 3rd stop of the day. About 70* outside, so not cold. Stayed on for the afternoon so went by O'Reilly's to get it scanned.

Code is P20C2 - Reductant Heater C Control Performance. It had the same code stored twice. They were the same number but one was "Permanent" and the other "Confirmed". Went back to work. Came out at 7 PM and started the truck and CEL is off.

After reading all of this, I am sure it is DEF tank/heater related.

Is this part of the process where the CEL can turn off and then come back on a few days later?

Can it cut power it if stays on? Does it warn me if it is getting ready to cut power?

Thankfully, I have ESP but I sooooo hate dealing with dealers.

Tom

2014 XLT Premium CC Dually 2WD, Remote Start Added, Diesel Site Dual Filters, Rudy's Cold Air Pipe, Infotainment Radio Swap + Rear Camera Added

2002 XLT CC Dually 2WD, 6 Spd, True Workhorse that kept going.

1999 F250 Lariat CC LB SRW 2 WD, Automatic. Just didn't perform towing.
post #26 of 36 Old 12-05-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
After reading all of this, I am sure it is DEF tank/heater related.

Is this part of the process where the CEL can turn off and then come back on a few days later?

Can it cut power it if stays on? Does it warn me if it is getting ready to cut power?
It is one of the heaters for sure. Which one is A, B, or C is beyond me. I'm I'm guessing that there is one in the tank, another one in the line somewhere, and a third one in the butt of an EPA pencil pusher that decided these things had to be this complicated. The code can indeed rectify itself and then come back at a later time. That is exactly what mine did when it came back today. Although, mine indicates that it is the A heater. I do not know if it actually cuts power but your fuel economy can certainly decline. I know mine dropped about 2 MPG the last time it was on. My truck is now going to go in to the shop. It has the current code into stored past codes. I'm not really that upset about going to the dealer because I happen to like them. It is a rare thing, I know.

2015 Oil Burner
post #27 of 36 Old 12-15-2018, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Well put me in the club for this code also. Popped up today after my first stop at about 45 degrees outside. Had to drive it home from out of town with no issues. I will be taking it to the dealer today or monday (won't be driving it in the mean time). I will update as this rodeo progresses.

15 F250 CCSB Lariat 4WD white/caribou
Tyrant Pack, No Limit plates, MPD cold side pipe, ReadyLift SST 2.5 kit, Fox Shocks, S&B CAI, 295/65r20 Ridge Grapplers

Previous:
99 F250 SCLB 4WD
post #28 of 36 Old 12-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Well put me in the club for this code also. Popped up today after my first stop at about 45 degrees outside. Had to drive it home from out of town with no issues. I will be taking it to the dealer today or monday (won't be driving it in the mean time). I will update as this rodeo progresses.
I don't know if yours is still under warranty, but my dealer told me to call or email Ford about this problem if mine was not. I'm going to anyway necause they need to see how many are failing and how upset people are about it. That's the only way a FSA will happen. If it does, and you still have a receipt, you will be reimbursed.

2015 Oil Burner
post #29 of 36 Old 12-15-2018, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
I don't know if yours is still under warranty, but my dealer told me to call or email Ford about this problem if mine was not. I'm going to anyway necause they need to see how many are failing and how upset people are about it. That's the only way a FSA will happen. If it does, and you still have a receipt, you will be reimbursed.

Good point! Mine “SHOULD” be under warranty since I bought an ESP when I bought the truck in July. We shall see. . .

15 F250 CCSB Lariat 4WD white/caribou
Tyrant Pack, No Limit plates, MPD cold side pipe, ReadyLift SST 2.5 kit, Fox Shocks, S&B CAI, 295/65r20 Ridge Grapplers

Previous:
99 F250 SCLB 4WD
post #30 of 36 Old 12-15-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Good point! Mine “SHOULD” be under warranty since I bought an ESP when I bought the truck in July. We shall see. . .
Yeah, I dont remember all the contract mumbo jumbo but it should be. I bought mine CPO and that adds additional coverage. However, I believe the ESP also covers it.
I should probably read that mumbo jumbo......

2015 Oil Burner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode