post #11 of 22 Old 06-04-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreedPS View Post
did you ever get it fixed?
Sorry - been away from the forums. I took it into the Ford dealership again (three times total now) on this issue and apart from checking tire pressure etc, they were unable to reproduce, but I could reproduce it on demand and at the right conditions. At exactly 42MPH (~70kph), if I hit a small bump/dip accelerating lightly, death wobble.

After two months - the issue went away. Maybe it was the new tires, maybe it wasn't, but I'm waiting for it's return next winter. I haven't tried it in a while but will this weekend. I did not receive any notice in the mail on this issue, and I'm disappointed Ford dealerships seems to act stupid and surprised when you mention the word knowing it's a common issue. Especially on a 100.0% stock truck.

If it comes back again, this time I will video tape it and email it directly to my local TV station on how Ford is ignoring a common and dangerous issue. Let's see how that will get their attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Camera and the local TV station will get it fixed real fast............

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | AutoStopStart Disabled, BuiltRight Seat Release, ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %
Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Fox 2.5 Rears, and 3" block waiting to be installed.

SOLD* ---> 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor 3.5L Magnetic Grey, LineX, BakFlip MX4

SOLD* ---> 2012 F-250 6.7L 4x4 Lariat CCSB, Titan 51gal, BDS 4" kit with Fox Shox, Toyo AT II 35/12.50R20, Ranch Hands front and rear
post #13 of 22 Old 06-05-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not saying this is your issue, but when my truck was shaking like you describe, it was an issue with turbo surge. My issue was between 40 and 42 mph in 6th gear, light acceleration...sounds like pretty similar conditions to me, and I could reproduce mine on demand too. My truck did it with about 4,000 miles on it until I changed the oil. I put 5w40 synthetic in at about 6500 miles and haven't had the problem since....19,000 miles now.

Next time it does it try backing out of the throttle and stepping on it again to get it to downshift to 5th gear. If it's turbo surge it will stop immediately when you take your foot off the throttle and will not start back up when the transmission downshifts and the engine revs up a few hundred RPM. If it's death wobble you'll have to step on the brake and slow down 10-15 mph to get it to stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

overly inflated tires are horrible for death wobble, but at 42mph it seems unlikely. Death wobbles in my experience are when your doing 65+MPH and hit a dip, and you wobble left and right, and cannot gain control of the vehicle until you slow down to around 50 mph. Puts the fear of death in ya. Fixed with alignment shims.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-05-2014, 09:17 PM

I laughed at the title ," in a 2013, yes a 2013". Hahaha. Why are you surprised? it has the same suspension as all the super duties since they went to the coil spring trailing arm design. That was a long time ago I think 2006 or so, so to be surprised that it would be any different on a new truck is hilarious.
.Get a bd castor kit BD Power - Product: Cam Caster Adjuster Kit
Factory trucks usually have 1 deg of positive castor this kit will let you adjust up to about 3.5deg. But set it at 2.5-3deg and death wobble is gone.

2015 F350 King Ranch
monochrome tuxedo black, every possible option.
Ordered April 30, 2014
Yet to be delivered

2011 F350 KingRanch 6.7L
AFE stage 2 intake
H&S tuner 4" straight pipe
dual 6" MBRP black stacks. DPF, DEF, EGR Delete
ZEX NOS kit with .088 jet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Harley Davidson F350
6" lift with 36x15.50x20's
spartan tuned and deleted.

Last edited by matty21; 06-05-2014 at 09:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to matty21 For This Useful Post:
ljhopp (06-06-2014)
post #16 of 22 Old 06-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja25sst View Post
I have a 2011 6.7 FX4 crew cab and had the very same thing happen! This is NOT new to Ford trucks post leaf spring front ends, nor Dodge, nor Jeep. I have a 2" leveling kit with coil spacers and 4" rear block with Fox schocks. I got rid of the Michelin factory tires (very soft side wall) and put on Toyo AT II 295/65R20 on my factory rims-looks awesome!, I added an Icon pan rod track bar, put in new caster alignment shims to get up to 2 degrees positive caster, and then a new alignment. Running 60psi now cold and truck is awesome!

p.s. There is a tsb for this and the dealer looks at the tie rod bushings or something, yada yada but no fix! Mine were perfect so no fix to do. I already tried this route.

PM me if you want, we can discuss further before you spend any more time or money!
^^^^This post sounds right on!!!!
post #17 of 22 Old 08-07-2016, 10:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

List of what to do all over the internet. Usually the track or pan hard bar and bushing. If not any slop in the ball joints, tie rods, steering linkage, or tire issues can cause.

I have a new track bar and bushing, front shocks, steering stabilizer times 2, ball joints ok, steering linkage ok and still have it- I think it is the tires, inflation ok but at 50 k and others have had flex in the side wall cause it to happen, Anyway everything else is tight as a tick, positive caster at 2.0 not good now at 3.2, re rebalanced wheels and alignment. It may not be easy. Start at tires, then track bar then work it out.

Last edited by woodsurgeon; 08-07-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added info
post #18 of 22 Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just to provide an update on this - my main warranty is now expired and I only have the DW from time to time. If I stick the smaller sized OEM XLT rims and tires on, I can reproduce it with ease - and unfortunately it's not turbo surge - usually happens with my foot is actually off the throttle. It happens occurs going up a slight incline and if I hit a bump at 68-70kph - poof - death wobble.

It's almost the equivalent of hopping on one foot, blinking your right eye, and rubbing your tummy at the same time.

Right now it feels like

2013 Silver F-350 CREW 6.7L 4x4 Lariat.
post #19 of 22 Old 11-10-2016, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I know on two of our 07s, a 350 and worse it was on a f550, it was the ford bushing thats metal with rubber inside of that, then metal again, its $25~ from ford, we had replaced everything, shocks, stabilizer, end links etc... still did it but less violent. Changed that steering/traction bar link and was smooth as can be over bumps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 F350 XL
06 F350 Lariat SRW BPD oil cooler, ARP, sinister !egr, s&b intake
06 F350 Lariat C/C DRW 4" Silverline , BPD egr cooler, ARP studs, Garett powermax turbo
07 F550 XL c/c 12' ABC american landscaper
11 F350 Lariat C/C !dpf/doc, SCT 7015
14 F550 Lariat C/C Dump truck, !def/dpf, Flo-Pro, T1 Tuner, S&B intake 3200miles
16 F350 Lariat c/c Nov 2015
post #20 of 22 Old 11-10-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Strange enough, a while back they replaced my traction bar link as it was showing 'worn'. Strange, my truck was only 2 years old and less than 20'000 miles on the odo when they did it. Right now I cannot reproduce the wobble - so perhaps that's the fix?

2013 Silver F-350 CREW 6.7L 4x4 Lariat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode