Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1300-1400 rpm vibration anyone else

11K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  rvdb 
#1 · (Edited)
I asked this in driveline section with no reponse & it's at the dealership for its 3rd visit with Ford MoCo involved. Hi, First off I am new to the site & appreciate any input, I picked up a 2012 F350, 4x4 CC, LB, a month ago and I am in need of help, I searched the site, asked questions on other threads with no luck.
I have a vibration at 1300-1400 RPM roughly in between 35 to 45 miles an hour, I am guessing its driveline related due to how the vibration comes about.
Ford replaced the drive shaft and balanced the exhaust and checked/balanced the tires.
The problem still persist, I was sent out the door per Ford. I have 800 miles on it and really like the truck however I feel this will lead to premature wear of components not to mention when I break it in & start towing 12k lbs.
Questions; has anyone dealt with this, does it get worse or stay the same?
I am very disappointed in this product at the moment, and I am frustrated, thanks for your time.

#3 ·
It comes through the seat, however it is not easily pinpointed it feels like it comes through the entire truck, I did notice last weekend I put 150 miles on it and the vibration fluctuated, It felt worse a couple of times. Thanks for your time, I feel like any info I can give the dealership/Ford Motor Company would help get this resolved quicker.

#9 ·
F350CRAZY, no clues till yesterday, Ford called and they are going to replace my trans, they found it via the vibration/sound unit they had it connected to the truck for a few days while they drove it moving clips till they pinned it down. I hope this is true and correct. They said they found two different issues. I will wait and see, I will let you know I went & drove a like 2012 yesterday and I was able to get it to do the same thing quickly, without starting a storm I really wonder if Ford received a bad batch of torque converters or transmissions.

#7 · (Edited)
Well Ford still has the truck, it does not vibrate in neutral.
I stopped by yesterday & they had a machine Connected to it that senses the vibrations and the noises as they are driving it. So far they can't pinpoint it. It's disappointing a two month old truck that's been with Ford for one of them.

#8 ·
I started noticing this week mine doing the same thing. I bought it used with 30k and have had it 1 month. It's almost like your going over a washboarded gravel road then it goes away once you speed up. But doesnt do it every time.

#10 ·
RTRBURN, I drive like an old man most of the time & the area I live around keeps me in the 35-50 mph zone so it comes around at every run up to speed from a stop.
If I throttle through it you can easily miss it, however at $4.39 a gallon and residential areas I was continuously feeling it which is why I am here. If it goes "through the truck"? it might be similar. Good luck

#12 ·
2012 450 sd 13000 mi

Bought a 12 450.Rear wheel bearings gone at 8000.Thumping noise at 25 mph.Center bearing replaced.Noise still there.pinon gear replaced still there.ac went. fuel pump going.They cant get another one.Now there telling me noise is normal.I think there is a deal between the service mansger and fords hotline with there trouble shooter a guy named austin.They will try to solve the problem then after awhile dump you.

#13 ·
Update for anyone interested or possible ideas for resolution.
They replaced the torque converter & I have put on a few hundred miles and its the same, so I am loosing my mind thinking I have a new truck that first off has what I call a problem, and as it vibrates it wears on the components. Unfortunately BBB received an email from me, if Ford is going to throw little things at it hoping to possibly repair it rather than leave the electronic vibration/sound machine on it till they REALLY find it & repair it then I'm over it. Its disappointing, the truck is fantastic in every other way, now having it back from Ford for a week reminded me, however it is my main vehicle and out of 2 1/2 months I have had for 1 due to this.

#14 ·
Vibration

I have a 2011 crew-cab long bed that I have been fighting a vibration/shaking for over a year now. Happens anywhere between 35 to 65 mph. Mostly 35 to 45 as that is the speed limit on a road I drive on. The whole truck shakes, can't feel it in the steering wheel or seat. Just whole truck shakes. Can't make it do it, just does it at a steady speed. Dealer has replace the turbo twice and hasn't helped. I also have had the delay in reverse since I bought it and dealer said there was no TSB on it and was normal.
I have requested to Ford to buy back the truck as I have been fighting this issue for over a year now. Of course it won't do it when they drive it..
Had a recorder on it as per Ford for the third time and waiting to see what they have to say. I would rather they find out what is wrong and fix it but I am tired of this BS. Dealer is not to blame, but looks like there are several people with this issue and Ford needs to take care of the problem. :dunno:

#15 ·
I have a 2011 crew-cab long bed that I have been fighting a vibration/shaking for over a year now. Happens anywhere between 35 to 65 mph. Mostly 35 to 45 as that is the speed limit on a road I drive on. The whole truck shakes, can't feel it in the steering wheel or seat. Just whole truck shakes. Can't make it do it, just does it at a steady speed. Dealer has replace the turbo twice and hasn't helped. I also have had the delay in reverse since I bought it and dealer said there was no TSB on it and was normal.
I have requested to Ford to buy back the truck as I have been fighting this issue for over a year now. Of course it won't do it when they drive it..
Had a recorder on it as per Ford for the third time and waiting to see what they have to say. I would rather they find out what is wrong and fix it but I am tired of this BS. Dealer is not to blame, but looks like there are several people with this issue and Ford needs to take care of the problem. :dunno:
Just got back from ford garage.Have a cracking sound when i turn right or left.Loud.Agan was told it was normal.Bull**** i say.This is a 2011 sd 450.Worst truck i have ever owned in my 72 years.Ac gone Rear wheel bearing gone.Carrier bearing replaced.Pinon replaced .Still have noise from front end like a thumping from day one.Was told if i cant hear it with radio on it is allright.DUH 2012 with 14000 miles.I dont beleive it.

#17 ·
I phoned Ford customer service directly and told them the issue and said I wanted it bought back. They forwarded it up the channel and have been assigned someone who is supposed to deal with it. He has called me twice on it to tell me he is working on it and waiting for the dealer to send recorder readings to Ford. So far he has been pleasant and seems like they want to get it fixed, which is what I would rather do than pay what they will want for a buy back. I am sure you are aware that they just won't give anyone a new truck. They take mileage and year and depreciate it. Good Luck...

#18 ·
Resolution

Well for anyone who wants an update, I went to the arbitration hearing last week with all my documentation and the arbitrator favored my side and Ford will do a buy back. Till the end Ford says this is normal operating for this truck. If it was they spent 33 days, 1 drive shaft and 1 torque converter for normal operation??? That just makes me crazy. So now the question is upon me....
Buy another Ford or go to the other side????

#21 ·
Well for anyone who wants an update, I went to the arbitration hearing last week with all my documentation and the arbitrator favored my side and Ford will do a buy back. Till the end Ford says this is normal operating for this truck. If it was they spent 33 days, 1 drive shaft and 1 torque converter for normal operation??? That just makes me crazy. So now the question is upon me....
Buy another Ford or go to the other side????
I hate to hear that it had to go that far... have you decided what to replace it with yet?

#19 ·
Not Happy!

Ford customer service contacted me, wanted me to take back to dealer and put recorder on it. Did that, set a recording but according to Ford there was nothing on the recording pertaining to my concern. Well, I know that they have to program the recorder for certain things to record. I guess they didn't program for the correct things or maybe it isn't in the electronics. Bottom line is they won't do anything because they can't duplicate it.

Now from people that can hear better than me... wife etc. Just as this happens there is a noise from the exhaust. Depends on who relates the noise but from what a car sounds like with bad gas (pinging) to a hiss, pop sound. I never hear it but several other people have.

I like the truck for the most part but this is just P*ssing me off. Can't blame the dealer cause they would fix it if they knew what it was. I can't be the only one with this problem!

#20 ·
dssmith, thats rough, the electronics they clipped to my truck picked up any sound that if I'm not mistaken were in a particular pitch, they initially had to move them around for a day of testing till they found "the sound" actually two different sounds that were noted. Maybe my info can help you, feel free to ask away, these trucks are not cheep and should in my opinion not have any real issues. I know they sell a lot of them and maybe 95% run great, however they should handle the issues in a different manner and not just drag out the process & guess on the repairs, its rough on the customer. Just a quick note, I looked at the duramax sites & they do not even have a "problem" forum. Good luck...

#22 ·
Thankfully I purchased a Ford extended warranty when I bought the truck. Have never bought one before. So right now I am going to ride it out for a while and see what happens. At least there is a record of me wanting Ford to buy the truck back. Problem is at least from what I know, they won't just give you another truck. They will depreciate it for year and mileage. Sucks cause I paid cash for it and don't want to put more money out for another truck. I just want it fixed...

#27 ·
Well after racking up a bit over 6k miles on the truck it was time to do the buy back, I have to say I put it through a few solid paces before it went to help me to decide on what was next, which consisted of driving it like a test vehicle, lead foot, towing 14k & at the end a few 108 degree days. Vibration was at a minimum at this point due to parts replaced & break in however it still did it. Ford did a solid job on this truck other than vibration issue. I know they have a few bad ones in the bunch & I hope to avoid the bad one this time. :icon_ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.