Extended idleing or Freeze - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 Old 10-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
why not get a litttle honda generator and a 1500 watt ceramic heater. if you spend that much time sitting in the truck it will pay for itself in saved fuel in 3 months. plus you save the wear on the engine and don't reduce you oil change intervals. the genny will run the block heater and a small battery charger to keep everything topped right up. if you wanted to get fancy for summer you get one of those a/c units that connects to the window with hoses. leave it in the truck box til you stop then hook it into one of the back windows and you're set.end of the day its all portable and you can move it over onto another truck in 5 minutes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 11-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen View Post
why not get a litttle honda generator and a 1500 watt ceramic heater. if you spend that much time sitting in the truck it will pay for itself in saved fuel in 3 months. plus you save the wear on the engine and don't reduce you oil change intervals. the genny will run the block heater and a small battery charger to keep everything topped right up. if you wanted to get fancy for summer you get one of those a/c units that connects to the window with hoses. leave it in the truck box til you stop then hook it into one of the back windows and you're set.end of the day its all portable and you can move it over onto another truck in 5 minutes
Very similar to what the big rigs do, they have these heater units that fit in the frame boxes of the big rigs. Show on tv was saying the big rigs burn about a gallon of diesel an hour at idle, but this little heater only burns 1/8 to 1/4 gallon of diesel an hour and keeps the cab at preset temps. Really good idea if you ask me, if it keeps the hours on your motor down might as well.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
except those fancy thermoking units are real expensive. the cat engines i worked on in 2001 burned about 1.3 to 1.5 an hour, so 8-12 gallons for 8 hours,30-50 bucks a night plus taking an entire day off the life of the oil and engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 11-16-2010, 07:20 PM

I use my truck as an office, in heat and humidity it idles keeping me cool running my equipment. In the cool weather coming up, it will idle keeping me warm, running computer/printer and battery charger. With a genetic analomy that causes my right foot to weigh a bit more, I have never worried about condensation, carbon build up, just a bit of tire wear...
I did mount a hard wired mega inverter under my back seat that can run anything I need to use. And... I leave it on 24-7. If I am not running equipment, it will not run the batteries down.

I have thought about the generator deal...I usually idle no more than an hour at the outside...only when the weather dictates,
post #15 of 19 Old 11-20-2010, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad533 View Post
Mr. Diesel himself (Gryglak) told me not to hook up the SEIC without a load on the motor. No load just idling!
That's for the 2011 6.7
How are you able to talk to him? Just curious.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-26-2010, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen View Post
except those fancy thermoking units are real expensive.
About $15,000 (give or take a couple of $1,000) expensive. But with all the anti-idle laws they are almost required if you do not want to freeze to death while delivering food and supplies to the American public. But I digress.

I would say if you are going to idle for extended periods of time the "high idle" would be a must. I installed one my GMC that I just got rid of and loved it. All the "big rigs" have them for a reason, they idle a lot. In my opinion with the high idle you are giving the engine better oil pressure and circulation. But this is just my opinion, hope it helps.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Uh ....

Just buy an espar or wabasto heater for around $1000, some come with vehicle specific install kits that mate with the trucks wiring harness. These burn 0.6L per hour on HIGH. They also can turn on the heater core fan and pre heat the cab. all done on a programable timer. There is always lots for sale on ebay. These are for pick ups, the ones you are talking about are for rigs.

not sayin', just sayin'
post #18 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Subscribed out of curiosity.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad533 View Post
Mr. Diesel himself (Gryglak) told me not to hook up the SEIC without a load on the motor. No load just idling!
That's for the 2011 6.7
I'm glad to hear this as I had the exact same concern you did. I'm still going to get an oil heater to complement the block heater. I also plan to use syn oil. If that still isn't enough, I'll go with an Espar or Wabasto.

JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode