these reported intervals sound just like the 6.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 92 Old 07-04-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 6.4 didn't regenerate anywhere NEAR that frequent!

I would average 200 miles MINIMUM between regens, when unloaded.

Ford Senior Diesel Technician
2008 F-350 4x4 Off Road 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel
There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.
The arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.
post #13 of 92 Old 07-05-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post

I agree, I know my 6.4 did not regen as frequently as my now 6.7 does. Not to mention I could always tell when the 6.4 went into regen, I could actually feel the motor switch up a little bit, but the 6.7......if I don't catch the message display, then the only way I can tell is by watching the "Instant MPG" display..........just by listening or feel, I would never be able to tell, the transition in and out of regen is that smooth, and like I said, so far the truck does it every 100 to 120 miles like clockwork, which makes me wonder if the trucks programming is set to do this as a form "self maintenance".
Other than that, I am very satisfied with the 2011, and the couple of times I've bumped passing gear I have been more than impressed with the power the 6.7 makes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 92 Old 07-05-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoil_f250 View Post
My first regen was has approx 150 miles and it took my MPG down 1 -2 based on what the computer was telling me. My second regen was around 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by My08F250FX4 View Post
So far I have less than 400 miles on the truck and have seen the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message 3 times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
probably every 125-150 miles I am getting a regen, that is just a ballpark, I can watch it drop mileage about 1.5-2mpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by My08F250FX4 View Post
Well, took my new 2011 out last night and just finished a 350 mile round trip and the truck regen'd 3 times, each regen took place at 100 to 120 mile intervals
Color me shocked that the 6.7L regens this often. That can't be good.

By the way, I don't buy that this is somehow better than the 6.4L (which, on average, I'd think regen'd less than this) because it uses more frequent but shorter regens. Much of your fuel usage in regen is getting all that mass of aftertreatment up to temperature (oxidation cat, DPF, SCR cat). Keeping it there a few more minutes isn't that big of a deal in terms of fuel usage by comparison IMO.

Strange.
post #15 of 92 Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post

Received word that the frequent 6.7 regens may be a programmed maintenance function involving the "Urea" supplement. The tech wasn't positive on this, but offered it as a possible reason.
post #16 of 92 Old 07-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my 2011 goes minimum 400 miles between regen, or once per tank. I went from Ct to Cape Cod this weekend with 5 people and no real weight in the bed in heavy traffic so I held a consistant 70mph and got 19.2 mpg on the computer, and 19.1 on the calculator by hand. Amazing MPG! went into regen once on the way out and none on the way back. 18.6 round trip on the computer. 7,000 miles in 7 weeks and love every mile so far.
post #17 of 92 Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just finished a 480 miles pull and it only regen'd once and lasted approx 10 miles. When I returned home, without the 5er, it regen'd twice and still only lasted about 10 miles. So, based on just one pull I would say it regens less when pulling...I will pull the 5er again this coming weekend and see how it does then...
post #18 of 92 Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 AM

After reading the owner's manual, the manual states the truck may regen as often as every 100 miles, which is what I've been experiencing while driving throught the keys where road speeds are relatively low (45-55mph on average).
It is my guess, that at low speeds and not towing anything, while in the "Keys", the truck does not get hot enough to stay in "Passive Regen", so in my case, it goes into "Active Regen" approximately every 100-120 miles and lasts for no more than 8-10 miles. When I get up to the mainland and get on the turnpike where I can open the truck up (75-85mph) I have noticed the "Regens" are less frequent.
So......I'm guessing, that while the truck is under a moderate load, it gets hot enough to stay in "Passive Regen", and when not under a load and at low speeds, the truck will "Active Regen" more frequently.
My only question is.....with the more frequent "Regens", will the 6.7L start "Making Oil" ?
post #19 of 92 Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

i thought that the 6.7 used urea instead of fuel for regen and if thats the case you dont have to worry about making oil cause the urea injector is right before the dpf not on the eng itself

Patrick
TAPS Historian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 6.4L ECSB

S&B intake,H&S Black Maxx,5" Pipe,Trac. Bars

[email protected]

OIF 07-08 16 months OIF 10/OND 10-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Tech Mag
All you need is a little knowledge,the right tools, and a buddy's truck to practice on.

Last edited by 08pwrstrokr6.4; 07-24-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: im a tard
post #20 of 92 Old 07-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I took a 400 mile trip yesterday and my truck regened about every 100 miles or so. I still averaged 18.8 mpg but it absolutely drives me nuts to see it regen so often. I have 3100 miles on my truck and my info center has said I'm under 1/2 full of exhaust fluid, has said this since 1200 miles. I bought a gallon of urea to keep with me just in case.

Can't wait till there is a tuner out so I can remove it. For off road purposes of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode