Fuel Filter Replacement I've done extensive research. Please help. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Filter Replacement I've done extensive research. Please help.

Hi Everyone. Just bought myself a 2014 F250. I thought I would replace the fuel filters as I was hearing a gurgling sound from the primary fuel filter area. I followed all the instructions. Replaced both filters, primed the fuel system (x10) truck started then died. Reprinted it 10x times and it wouldn't start. (Note: I never crank more than 1 second). I found I hadn't turned the frame mounted fuel filter that last 1 turn. Did that figured it would correct issue. No dice. Removed frame mounted filter, re-set the filter, re-lubed. No dice. Removed the 2ndary in engine compartment and re-set. ( does this one have some sort of safety system where if it isnt turned far enough it wont start the vehicle?). I dont understand where the "alignment tabs" are. I turned it till the hoses are in the right position to hook up... then stopped. Anyway... no dice again. Still getting gurgling in primary fuel filter while priming. Removed primary, bought new housing for primary. Replaced all the gaskets on the drain plug. Still no dice. I'm about to go replace the housing itself ( I didnt do that before as I didnt see any cracks). One thing to note. I turned it till I hit the stop but it will go past. Also, if I feel at the top where the housing screws on there is a 2-3mm gap so it looks like I might be able to get another turn out of it. Since I have a spare I figured I might do that and if I crack the filter housing I have the replacement. Right now when I tighten it it's not nearly as difficult to come to that stop point as it was to remove it the first time. I dont want to hurt the hpfp in this process so I've been very stingy with my cranking. If I hear those bubbles indent even crank it. Could that primary fuel filter need one more turn? I'm at my waist end trying to figure this out. I'm about to tow it to a shop but I would have to wait till monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycophiles View Post
I turned it till I hit the stop but it will go past. .
I don't think you've tightened it enough. The stop is a dead stop. You should be able to feel a definite stop point. Since you have a spare, you don't have anything to lose. I would tighten it until you feel the stop.

It's hard to describe, but it's sort of like turning a dead bolt lock. The resistance is pretty consistent until you hit the stop and then it just won't turn anymore.
bc_vickers likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took a picture but I dont see where to post them here. It's clear that's it's at a dead stop. Hitting the tab. Replaced the housing primed 15x+. Tried cranking once for 1 sec. No go.

Under engine fuel filter sound while priming.
https://youtu.be/1BzmjRzSONY

On rain fuel filter sound while priming.
https://youtu.be/Y01Wngv5oo0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took a picture but I dont see where to post them here. It's clear that's it's at a dead stop. Hitting the tab. Replaced the housing primed 15x+. Tried cranking once for 1 sec. No go.

Under engine fuel filter sound while priming.
https://youtu.be/1BzmjRzSONY

On rain fuel filter sound while priming.
https://youtu.be/Y01Wngv5oo0
post #5 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
These photos show the stops that you need to insure they meet when you replace the frame filter cup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford 6.7 Frame Fuel Filter 1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	727263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford 6.7 Frame Fuel Filter 2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	727265  

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
post #6 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry for the double/triple response. Doing this on a phone has its drawbacks.

On a seperate note. Because it started that first time could I have a "ran out of gas issue". Lol... guys I'm at my wits end. I read somewhere that you can install the under the hood filter incorrectly so I'm going to take that back off and try again.

I've also not been cranking it more than a second as I expect the truck to start right up. I dont see how cranking will help it start... just fyi. I've heard you need to crank it for a while but I feel that's rubbish.

Yes. Those are the stops that are touching in the picture. Wish I could post a picture. I'm starting to think maybe I cracked the secondary filter when installing it. It doesnt leak but it could suck air I guess.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Those videos sound like there is a bunch of air in the lines. Let it sit for 20 min, then go back out and prime it correctly (turn the key - hold and don't start for 10 seconds and stop) about 20 times. You should eventually not hear that hissing air sound.

The Resurrection
post #8 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I tried priming it again. About 20 times.... 30 seconds each. Then got under the truck and listened while it primed. The gurgling is left often. I also tried opening the drain plug and see if it would drain the same as with the old housing. There was a difference. Before when I did that I would hear a gurgling sound as I unscrewed the plug. This time as soon as I cracked it the fuel came out. I feel that means its holding pressure. Was that indicative of an issue?

I've decided to not crank unless I dont hear any gurgling in that fuel filter. Like I said it's getting less frequent so I hope it will go away. I'll keep priming it and listening. Storm came though and I need to keep the door open to listen so I'm going to wait a bit.

Do you guys agree that once it's at pressure it should fire right up? No need for an extended crank like the older diesel forums describe people doing.

Also.. could the diesel in there be foamy because of all the times I've been opening it up and re-sealing it. This required many MANY (ugh...) more priming sessions.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I dont think I can describe the apprehension I'm going through right now.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
You may have to bleed the fuel system. Here are the directions from Ford Service DVD...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6.7 Fuel system bleeding.pdf (133.8 KB, 39 views)

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
post #10 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 02:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
When i do mine i have someone turn key on and i hold a empty coke bottle to the engine mounted filter untill it shoots out and the airs out by then and it cranks up fine. Also that way you can tell if fuel is getting to hpfp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode