6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-07-2020, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Injector and Glow Plug Module Issue

I recently fully deleted my truck (2011 XL Extended cab). Had a knock for a long while, and it turned out it was an injector. Decided to change out the injector when I did the egr delete (inj #2.) Well I changed it and the knock went away but I doesn’t sound like it’s idling right. Making a loud tap-like sound from the exhaust and throwing white smoke. Not a lot, but enough that it’s visible, my pops says it smells like diesel, so I think it’s running rich if anything. I want to take it to the dealer so they can program the fuel rate on said injector. But I read somewhere that once I deleted and tuned the truck that this wouldn’t be necessary since the programming is designed to work with the DPF system. Is this true? And one other thing, I’m getting a code coming up about having lost communication with the glow plug module since I did the EGR delete (did that maybe a week after I deleted the exhaust), what could be the problem here? There’s one sensor I can’t find where to connect to, it’s right under the air filter box and has a green tip, might that be the issue for the glow plugs?
Thank you in advance for the replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2020, 08:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Yes that plug goes to the module. It plugs in under the battery tray.

Early 11s had valve issues where they would crack. This creates a popping noise out the exhaust and will result in a loss of compression causing while smoke. It could also have been the source of the balance fault code on cylinder 2. Have someone with an IDS run a relative compression test and a power balance test.
Was it a motorcraft injector?

06 King Ranch
Fass 200, Custom fuel lines, 225/100s, Thumper stage 2 hpop, WPE stage 3 intake, Mishimoto radiator, Flex a lite fans, BPD water pump, MPD oil cooler relocate kit, Intercooler pipes, Compounds built by me, etc etc etc

05 Eddie Bauer
Resealed entire motor @ 170k miles, new lifters, 6.4 push rods, studs, rebuilt the turbo, IPR egr delete, new injectors, new heads, new ficm board, coolant filter, intercooler tubes, regulated return, bunch of other new parts. Factory exhaust, cat gutted(wife's rig). Livewire with gearhead tunes. Should go a while reliably for her!

03 LB7 duramax the "daily/tow pig"
Lbz cp3, s475/stock twin kit, built trans, steel driveshft, amsoil bypass, secondary oil cooler built by me, fass, traction bars, trans cooler upgrade, dual alts, straight center link + tie rod sleeves, efi live, transfer flow/tool box tank, 5er hitch, other small upgrades.. and most importantly, STOCK HEADBOLTS! Just rolled 200k miles, twins installed @ 165k, daily driven on a "550 tune" tows 18k on a "475" tune.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-18-2020, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice, I just replied because I have to take the valve cover off and hadn’t received any notifications from my email that there was a reply (sorry!!) And yeah, it was a motorcraft. Had it programmed at the dealer and about 3-4 days in, I had an issue with the injector. Ended up getting loose along with the fuel line. Had to get towed. I tightened everything thing to spec so I don’t think that should have happened, but oh well. I took it out today and turns out there was two copper washers in there (maybe a third?) so I think the fuel wasn’t burning right due to the bigger gap. I say maybe a third because it looks like there’s another one where the injector tip goes. It’s in a, ‘C’, shape (Broken) and appears to be stuck. But anyway, I dropped what could either be one, or two, washers into the valve cover and now I’m going to be taking it apart tomorrow. I’m also going to change out those glow plugs. This has turned into a huge pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-18-2020, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickjames525 View Post
Yes that plug goes to the module. It plugs in under the battery tray.

Early 11s had valve issues where they would crack. This creates a popping noise out the exhaust and will result in a loss of compression causing while smoke. It could also have been the source of the balance fault code on cylinder 2. Have someone with an IDS run a relative compression test and a power balance test.
Was it a motorcraft injector?
Also, when I had it programmed the smoking went away, so I don’t think it was a valve issue, but I appreciate the heads up.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-19-2020, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
22 ft lbs + an additional 90* is spec. The bolt has to stretch to ensure its tight.

06 King Ranch
Fass 200, Custom fuel lines, 225/100s, Thumper stage 2 hpop, WPE stage 3 intake, Mishimoto radiator, Flex a lite fans, BPD water pump, MPD oil cooler relocate kit, Intercooler pipes, Compounds built by me, etc etc etc

05 Eddie Bauer
Resealed entire motor @ 170k miles, new lifters, 6.4 push rods, studs, rebuilt the turbo, IPR egr delete, new injectors, new heads, new ficm board, coolant filter, intercooler tubes, regulated return, bunch of other new parts. Factory exhaust, cat gutted(wife's rig). Livewire with gearhead tunes. Should go a while reliably for her!

03 LB7 duramax the "daily/tow pig"
Lbz cp3, s475/stock twin kit, built trans, steel driveshft, amsoil bypass, secondary oil cooler built by me, fass, traction bars, trans cooler upgrade, dual alts, straight center link + tie rod sleeves, efi live, transfer flow/tool box tank, 5er hitch, other small upgrades.. and most importantly, STOCK HEADBOLTS! Just rolled 200k miles, twins installed @ 165k, daily driven on a "550 tune" tows 18k on a "475" tune.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes sir, much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode