6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-14-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Def heater

Hello. New here. New to the ford family. Had a code come up p20ba. Def heater. Haven’t seen or experienced anything different yet. Dealer wants about 1k to fix. My question is should I just delete for about the same amount of money? Any help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-15-2019, 05:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Hi and welcome! Tis the season for P20BA codes.
A lot depends on where you live, and how strict they are at inspections if you have them. It also depends on if you will do the work yourself. No shop around here would do a delete for $1000. You might be able to do it yourself for that, but the tunes will be the important choice and the EPA has made those sorts of tunes difficult to get off the shelf.
To compare apples to apples; doing the heater yourself would cost around $300. Less if you used an aftermarket part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
post #3 of 13 Old 11-15-2019, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I had the same issue, and posted the following:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...ater-code.html

I replaced mine on my own. It was not fun, but is doable. Watch the video...it is very good describing how to replace the heater. When mine went, I replaced with a NAPA unit (made in Germany)Ö.it was a perfect fit. I remember the hardest part was separating the electrical connector from the tank while under the truck...it took me maybe 30 min or so to get it disconnected. It was more awkward than hard as there was only room enough for one hand.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 2016 with 32k miles has been in the shop for a week for the same code. They replaced heater/pump assembly and code returned. Replaced pigtail to the assembly and code came back. Now they are replacing the whole harness it connects to... waiting to hear back on Monday lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 Old 11-16-2019, 11:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You didn't say anything about what you have, but there is an open recall in certain trucks for the DEF heater. DEFinitely worth checking into to see if you're covered or not!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_Image-1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	725283  
post #6 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My bad. I have a 14 250 6.7. I have the heater I got yesterday and gonna install tomorrow fingers crossed that’s all it is. You would think if was a wiring issue it would throw a different code. I opted out of the 1300$ service bill ford wanted. Just bought this truck used a month ago. Not very happy about this. My warranty don’t cover emissions. Fords emissions warranty went out last November. Fingers crossed
post #7 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsukey View Post
You didn't say anything about what you have, but there is an open recall in certain trucks for the DEF heater. DEFinitely worth checking into to see if you're covered or not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brj79 View Post
My bad. I have a 14 250 6.7. I have the heater I got yesterday and gonna install tomorrow fingers crossed thatís all it is. You would think if was a wiring issue it would throw a different code. I opted out of the 1300$ service bill ford wanted. Just bought this truck used a month ago. Not very happy about this. My warranty donít cover emissions. Fords emissions warranty went out last November. Fingers crossed
Looks to me like you fall into the recall notice....If so the dealer will fix it for free.....cant get much better than free

03 7.3l 550, FRx, 6637 mod, 4 inch turbo back, ccv delete, aih delete, HPx, Riffraffs OCR, Turbo-pyro-boost-coolant EV2 gauges, Bullydog GT tuner.

03 X 6.0 175/30 warren sticks, Livewire TS w/ warren tunes, Blue spring mod, atlas 40 ficm, 270amp dc power alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
goats lives matter.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3lf550 View Post
Looks to me like you fall into the recall notice....If so the dealer will fix it for free.....cant get much better than free
Unfortunately, he's not covered by the recall. It only covers the 2013-2015 F-450-F-550. I just went through this issue as well, but I was covered under my CPO warranty. I bought my F-250 Platinum PS back in May with 77k miles. I went ahead and bought an extended Ford ESP that covers me until 140k miles or 2023. I bought it through Ziegler though. The dealer I bought my truck from wanted almost twice what I paid, for the exact same warranty. Definitely makes me sleep better at night!
post #9 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Woops....didn't see that it was only 450s and 550s for his year range....my bad

03 7.3l 550, FRx, 6637 mod, 4 inch turbo back, ccv delete, aih delete, HPx, Riffraffs OCR, Turbo-pyro-boost-coolant EV2 gauges, Bullydog GT tuner.

03 X 6.0 175/30 warren sticks, Livewire TS w/ warren tunes, Blue spring mod, atlas 40 ficm, 270amp dc power alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
goats lives matter.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate yalls input though. Keep it coming. This is my first ford. Been a Chevy and Jeep guy the past years... hope I didn’t mess up getting this truck. I love the feel and the truck and the power. Hopefully this is just a hiccup. On another note my miles to empty fuel gauge don’t work... any ideas on that? Plus the steering wheel controls for radio don’t work....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode