16 F-350 Low Fuel Pressure & Reduced engine power warning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lightning546

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-13-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
16 F-350 Low Fuel Pressure & Reduced engine power warning

I have a 2016 F-350, C.C., 6.7L PS, 3.73 gears, DRW, King Ranch, FX4, with almost 20,700 miles on it.

This morning it was much colder than it has been so I started my truck and let it run for a few minutes before I left (0800) to drive to my sisters house to make breakfast for my mom.
@0900 I drove back to my place, 1155 I drove to my sisters house to make lunch for my mom, a total of 1.8 miles.
@ 1300 I got in my truck to go to the grocery store, got about half a mile from my sisters house and got a "Low Fuel Pressure" warning, about 1 tenth of a mile later I got a "Reduced Engine Power" warning, went about another tenth of a mile at 2 mph before the truck died right in the middle of the street after a curve in the road. Tried to restart the truck and it fired up after close to a minute of cranking, it went a few feet farther and it died at the exit of the curve. I had it towed to the Ford dealer I bought it from.

I had the fuel filters, the oil changed and had the 20K mile service done last month (19,800 miles), I've put about 800 miles on it since then, I also have the Ford Premium Care extended warranty.
The power train is bone stock with the exception of a K&N air filter and an Amsoil dual remote oil filter system.
The hardest this truck has been used is whenever I go camping and tow my 30' fifth wheel (9400 lbs loaded including the 51 gals of fresh water in the tank).

I know about the HPFP issue and am wondering if this is what might have happened to my truck.
Hopefully they'll be able to get the truck in a bay and diagnose the problem tomorrow.

The only other major issue I've had with this truck is when I had to replace both batteries because of a acid leak from the positive post on the passenger side battery, which was in Sept, I also still have to have the battery cable harness replaced but have been putting that off since the part is back ordered and $285.
I'm hoping the repair will be covered by the extended warranty, otherwise I'll have to borrow the money from my mom which means no one will be getting Christmas presents from me this year.

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong, other than the HPFP?

T-1 Certified
Independent Amsoil Dealer
Over 20 years of experience with the Amsoil product line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
with the recent fuel filter service, my first check would be to ensure the frame mounted filter housing was fully tightened. My dad's '16 had a similar issue and his lower fuel filter housing was not on all the way and letting a little air into the system.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, it's at the dealer I bought it from and they finally got it in the shop this afternoon, it took several guys to push it into the service bay.
It cranks just fine but won't start, if this was caused by their employee when he changed the fuel filters I shouldn't have to pay them anything, I'm just hoping it is something quick, simple and easy to diagnose as well as covered by the extended warranty if their employee didn't cause the problem.

I would think the kind of problem you described would have happened fairly quickly instead of waiting almost 800 miles before it reared it's ugly head, I'm just glad that it didn't happen with my 30' 5th wheel behind me.
The problem with the dealer is that they only have 1 diesel mechanic on staff and he had to finish the repairs on a F-550 before he could get to my truck.

T-1 Certified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Where do you live/How cold was it?

Very possible that fuel gelled.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyS0b View Post
Where do you live/How cold was it?

Very possible that fuel gelled.
I live in southeast Georgia, thankfully it very rarely (once every 10-20 years) gets cold enough for fuel to gel here, the coldest it has been since the truck was serviced is 39 F.

Thanks for mentioning that possibility.

T-1 Certified

post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 01:09 AM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
The reason i asked is you mentioned it was much colder that day.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 04:00 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think everyone is glued in to this one. Hope it comes out alright but keep us posted and good luck man.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I dont have much to add. Maybe the contraction of materials in the cold opened up a tiny air leak in the fuel filter. Long shot, I know.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the truck back on Monday (18 Nov), the problem was the low pressure fuel pump and it was covered under the factory power train warranty, so I didn't have to come up with any money out of pocket with the exception of the $500+ that the rental car cost while my truck was in the shop.
Larry1013 likes this.

T-1 Certified

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode