Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mysterious Ticking/Grinding Noise

Truck Info:
2012 F-250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7 Auto 4x4
280,000 miles
Only modification done to the truck is a Carli 4.5” lift kit.

The problem:
I have a mysterious and VERY loud ticking sound coming from my truck for the past 3 months or so that I have not been able to figure out. Almost sounds like a propane igniter or rocks in a blender. It only happens while in drive and in motion, but not all the time. It has been noise free for a day up to 3 weeks at a time. It just randomly came back this week and I’m devoted to finding and fixing the issue. The sound seems to be more interested in how fast I am going rather than RPM. It will not make any sound while in park, neutral, or reverse. It will tick cold or warm as well as 2WD or 4WD. This sound doesn’t seem to have any negative effects on my performance. Truck idles fine, runs smooth, shifts well, and makes boost properly. I don’t have a monitor myself at the moment as mine was never returned back to me, but I borrowed my friends for a day and nothing was out of the ordinary. All numbers were fine and there are no codes on the vehicle. Also, nothing was done prior to the sound appearing. I was cruising around town and it randomly started one day out of the blue.

My attempt at locating/fixing the issue:
I had it up on a lift and could not get it to repeat this sound while it was up in the air even when I was in the vehicle with it in drive. I hung from the floor board while someone drove up to about 10-15mph (Don’t try this at home.) to try and hear where the sound is coming from and it seems to be coming from the motor/transmission area. I’ve checked the u-joints and they’re good. I took the front driveshaft off. I checked my steering linkage. I’ve checked all fluid levels and they’re all within spec, clear, and smell normal. I even took it in and the dealership was of no help. None of the diesel guys around here seem to know either. They all acknowledge there’s a loud ticking sound coming from my truck that’s by no means normal, but they never have a solution.

I’m really at a loss here and would appreciate your assistance. If there’s any bit of information that you need that could help out in determining the cause I would be more than happy to supply it as quick as possible.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A video would help out.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=vCFD3PE-uPg

Here’s a quick video. I’ll try and get a better video somewhere quieter tonight, but you can definitely still hear it in this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 01:06 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What wheels are you running?? Pics?

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

35x12.5R20 Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T Tires on the factory 20” Lariat wheels.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-01-2019, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recently had same intermittent ticking sound really noticeable when driving beside hwy barrier . It would come and go aswell some days nothing others non stop Searched forums and truck itself for days . Gave up looking and started to just live with this ticking / rattling sound. Ended up changing front brakes and noticed u joint in front passenger axle shaft was worn . I changed it while I had truck torn apart and have not heard the rattle since then . Hope this helps I know a strange rattle or tick can drive a person crazy
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2019, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had something like this a few months back. When I moved the front tires to the back it got quieter. Turned out to be one of the longer wheel weights was a bit loose and was chattering... It kinda sounded like a bad CV joint on a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode