AC intermittently stops - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AC intermittently stops

While driving when my ac will disengage, (I assume the clutch disengages) seems to be happen more often when rpms are about 2200 but completely random. Sometimes in town sometime cruising down interstate. Pressure is fine. Has anyone else had this issue? Usually starts working in a mile or 2 but sometimes I have to drop rpms to get it to work. I can't get it to do it in the shop.
2105 f350 srw xl ccsb 110k owned since new.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If it ain't smokin' it's broken.

1997 F450 w/ Custom dump service bed sold

2015 F350 cc 4x4 xl SRW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-28-2019, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I wouldn’t think the clutch would need adjusting already, but that is a simple thing to try. There is a good youtube video on how to do it and you can google the specs.
I didn’t think that was the problem on my older Ford, I took it to a shop and that was all they had to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96 F250, 2wd regular cab. bone stock, 235,000 miles.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-28-2019, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My 2011 has recently started blowing hot with low airflow when I have the truck under a load.
If I turn it off for a few minutes then back on it returns itself to a normal working order.
Not sure what’s causing it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-28-2019, 08:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Buck, it’s most likely low on Freon freezing over the evap core. I replaced a LOT of evap cores on 11-16 truck for leaking. Also a lot of them for simply being plugged. Ford has no cabin filter. To the OP, you need to watch the pressures with a a/c machine or gauges to see what they’re doing. At a minimum I’d start with an evac and recharge to see if that helps it. It could be low.

06 King Ranch
Fass 200, Custom fuel lines, 225/100s, Thumper stage 2 hpop, WPE stage 3 intake, Mishimoto radiator, Flex a lite fans, BPD water pump, MPD oil cooler relocate kit, Intercooler pipes, Compounds built by me, etc etc etc

05 Eddie Bauer
Resealed entire motor @ 170k miles, new lifters, 6.4 push rods, studs, rebuilt the turbo, IPR egr delete, new injectors, new heads, new ficm board, coolant filter, intercooler tubes, regulated return, bunch of other new parts. Factory exhaust, cat gutted(wife's rig). Livewire with gearhead tunes. Should go a while reliably for her!

03 LB7 duramax the "daily/tow pig"
Lbz cp3, s475/stock twin kit, built trans, steel driveshft, amsoil bypass, secondary oil cooler built by me, fass, traction bars, trans cooler upgrade, dual alts, straight center link + tie rod sleeves, efi live, transfer flow/tool box tank, 5er hitch, other small upgrades.. and most importantly, STOCK HEADBOLTS! Just rolled 200k miles, twins installed @ 165k, daily driven on a "550 tune" tows 18k on a "475" tune.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-05-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickjames525 View Post
Buck, it’s most likely low on Freon freezing over the evap core. I replaced a LOT of evap cores on 11-16 truck for leaking. Also a lot of them for simply being plugged. Ford has no cabin filter. To the OP, you need to watch the pressures with a a/c machine or gauges to see what they’re doing. At a minimum I’d start with an evac and recharge to see if that helps it. It could be low.

Thanks for the insight!

post #6 of 6 Old 10-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I was experiencing lackluster AC performance on my truck and was sure it was low on refrigerant. To my surprise, I fixed another issue and the AC is back with a vengeance. Seems as though my driver's side battery was badly corroded and upon cleaning it, by AC has new life. Check your battery condition first as that's pretty easy. Check terminals, cells and state of charge.

I'm in the process of troubleshooting a Nissan Xterra's AC system and have narrowed the issue down to either a bad pressure switch or thermister. Leaning toward the thermister. Its attached to the evaporator and is a known failure item. Basically turns the system off to prevent the evaporator from icing over.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ranger413; 10-02-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode