6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-08-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P20BA - DEF Reductant Heater Code

So… my CEL came on...did a scan... and code P20BA popped. What I'm gathering is that this code indicates a problem with the DEF Reductant heater. Note: I do not have any messages stating that my speed will be limited in x number of miles. When I clear the code, it stays off for maybe 2 - 3 start/stop cycles (driven maybe 500 miles or so).

Have you had this problem, and if so,
- was it the DEF Heater?
- did your speed limiting indicator come on?
- did replacing the DEF heater fix it?
- do you recommend a specific DEF heater for replacement? (ie: Ford, Autozone, NAPA, ???).

Thx in advance for your response.

Goldy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-09-2019, 04:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Mine was indeed the heater. I lost no driveability issues while the CEL was on. It was replaced under warranty, but I would have still used the Motorcraft part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
post #3 of 12 Old 06-09-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
So… my CEL came on...did a scan... and code P20BA popped. What I'm gathering is that this code indicates a problem with the DEF Reductant heater. Note: I do not have any messages stating that my speed will be limited in x number of miles. When I clear the code, it stays off for maybe 2 - 3 start/stop cycles (driven maybe 500 miles or so).

Have you had this problem, and if so,
- was it the DEF Heater?
- did your speed limiting indicator come on?
- did replacing the DEF heater fix it?
- do you recommend a specific DEF heater for replacement? (ie: Ford, Autozone, NAPA, ???).

Thx in advance for your response.

Goldy
Yes, it's the heater. If the part isn't not covered under warranty it's about $300. If not, buy a Motorcraft unit and replace it yourself if possible. You'll save about $450-500 in labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-09-2019, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Call your dealer. It's likely covered under the def heater/sender recall.

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo
post #5 of 12 Old 06-09-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, I was not aware of any recall on this part. Bet your bottom dollar I'll be talking to Ford in the morning.

I just replaced the DEF heater with a NAPA part (not sure who made it, but the box said Made In Germany) and it does have a lifetime warranty.

Crawling around on the garage floor, it took me about 4 hours to replace. I viewed some You-Tube videos regarding the replacement procedure...and they did help quite a bit. One of the toughest things doing the replacement was separating the electrical connector (the big white/whitish gray one) on the top of the DEF tank before dropping it. There is very little room...but after 30 - 45 min, I did get it separated. Also, it is best to have the tank pretty much empty before dropping it. Mine was full and was difficult to handle. Once I had it out of the truck, I emptied it...it made putting it back in much easier.

I'd offer for anyone attempting to do this to first view the on-line videos. Here's a link to one video which helped quite a bit:

I'd say it's a level or two above novice ability...and bring a big can patience...this is not a 10 minute job.

Good Luck!
post #6 of 12 Old 06-10-2019, 04:22 AM

The warranty is on 2011 and 2012 250 through 550 trucks, and 450 550s through 2015 model year.
Good tip on doing this with an empty tank. 40 or 50 extra pounds gone. Did you try to siphon it out first or just realize it after it was too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
post #7 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya View Post
Call your dealer. It's likely covered under the def heater/sender recall.
Unless that recall has been extended, the date of expiration of that work being covered regardless of milage for any 11-14? (could have been 11-12 only) truck (if memory serves) was December of '18.

@OP,
I had mine replaced under the recall last November, at 182k.

I had P20BA off and on for 3 years until it finally stuck around. The unit that fails is both the heater and the level sender, and I am leaning towards a sender failure in my case since my DEF levels were always whack...thinking it was full when empty, empty when full, etc...

Before I finally took it in it did tell me I had XXX to E after being full for a few days.

--H
2012 6.7
Too many toys for it to list
post #8 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
The warranty is on 2011 and 2012 250 through 550 trucks, and 450 550s through 2015 model year.
Good tip on doing this with an empty tank. 40 or 50 extra pounds gone. Did you try to siphon it out first or just realize it after it was too late.
I realized it after I dropped the tank. It was heavy, but not unmanageable. I had the forethought to drop the tank onto a 6x6 scrap piece of wood I had, which was placed on a creeper. Yes, the tank was heavy. Once dropped, I disconnected the injection hose and electrical connector (near the injection hose), and then pulled the tank out. Once I opened it, I just poured the DEF into a 5 gallon bucket.

After it was all back together, I added new DEF.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

BTW - I did check with my dealer. I was told mine is not covered by an extended warranty. I've got almost 160,000 miles on mine. For the most part, the truck has been pretty much flawless save for the emissions related stuff. I did have my radiator start to leak around 60K. I had it replaced and all has been well with it since.

I had two NOx sensors go south around the same time...not covered under warranty.
And now, I had the stink'n DEF heater go south. I replaced it with a NAPA branded part (box says Made in Germany) which carries a lifetime warranty. I do hope I never have to screw with it again.

Oh... and I had the fan controller module go south too. That's pretty much it. I do like the truck, but not a fan of all the emissions gizmos.
The Evil Twin likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 04:06 AM

Lol. One of those "shoot, I shoulda drained this thing first" moments right after you took the last bolt out.

2015 Oil Burner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode