ABS, Brake, Advance Trac and Airbag lights. Shuts off Randomly - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-30-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ABS, Brake, Advance Trac and Airbag lights. Shuts off Randomly

I was fueling up yesterday and when I got back in the cab, the ABS, Brake and Airbag lights were on. I thought this was a strange combination, so I shut the truck off. I started it back up, the lights stayed off and I went on my way.

It did it again a couple hours later, shut it down and restarted it and all was well again. A few miles down the interstate, it kind of went crazy. It kicked out of cruise and I thought for a second I might have lost another motor. The battery light came on, the gauges all still worked and I was still showing RPM. I drifted to the shoulder and when I tried to accelerate, the truck didn't respond. I started easing on the brakes and as the truck came to a stop, it died. I turned the ignition off for a few seconds, restarted the truck and was on may way again. No CELs, warning lights or anything. The truck did fine the rest of the way home. It did it all again on the way to town a little while later.

I know my symptoms are similar to this thread, but I didn't feel it was similar enough not to warrant a new thread. I've tried to look for more info on these broken wires but haven't really come up with anything.

I hope that there's a common thread between these issues that someone out there knows about. I'm really not looking forward to trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem on this thing.

Thanks for any input.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
It quit on me again this morning. It was much more reluctant to start. Some tries it wouldnít do anything, some it would just bump start. I pulled the key all the way out and that got it going. One thing I noticed is that before the trouble lights come on and stay on the dash, I donít have a chime when I turn the key. Maybe something to do with the starting system? Iíve had random starting system faults before, but it never caused a real problem and havenít had one in a while.

Doesnít make much sense to me.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-08-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Just in case someone finds this thread in the future, it was a failing relay to the PCM. I can't tell you which relay it was exactly, because I had a shop do the looking, but that's what the problem was.
john galt likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Old King Coal For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (07-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old King Coal View Post
Just in case someone finds this thread in the future, it was a failing relay to the PCM. I can't tell you which relay it was exactly, because I had a shop do the looking, but that's what the problem was.
Thanks for the follow up. I am sure it will help someone down the line.
Heavy_GD likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-25-2019, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I think Iím having about the same thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #6 of 12 Old 07-25-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf622 View Post
I think Iím having about the same thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Maybe that's all it is. I think that relay is located in the fuse panel under the hood. I say that because they found that the lid to mine was leaking water on to it while they were trouble shooting.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-25-2019, 10:35 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
well....found it in the future but want much help :trd:
whne you said it didnt make much sense....i knew it was electrical but...
glad you found it man i HATE electrical BS
i have a short in the head light right now and trying to trace it is maddening

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #8 of 12 Old 07-25-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post
well....found it in the future but want much help :trd:

whne you said it didnt make much sense....i knew it was electrical but...

glad you found it man i HATE electrical BS

i have a short in the head light right now and trying to trace it is maddening

Aye. An electrical problem on a 70s model? I can find that myself. On a 2012 with a harness as big as my arm? That goes to the professionals.
john galt likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-25-2019, 11:10 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Quote:
Aye. An electrical problem on a 70s model? I can find that myself. On a 2012 with a harness as big as my arm? That goes to the professionals.

for me it has a fire and goes to insurance ...
have i ever mentioned just HOW much i HATE electrical crap?

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

Last edited by john galt; 07-25-2019 at 11:20 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-25-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

for me it has a fire and goes to insurance ...
have i ever mentioned just HOW much i HATE electrical crap?

After the $14k motor replacement, I have to make sure NOTHING happens to this thing or Iíd agree!
john galt likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode