LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-19-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck won't start - Dash going nuts

First real post here, but I have been lurking for a long time and have appreciated all of the tips and info shared on the site. Now for my problem.

Drove home last night with no issues, but went to start the truck this morning and some strange behaviors started showing up. Dash died when the key got to the on position.

So, I got to thinking and did a couple tests to rule out anything obvious to me. Put a meter on the batteries and both are at 12.90.

Watched a video about wiggling the key in the ignition and then the dash went crazy.

Blinking lights, beeping sounds, Check Brake System warning, Service Advancetrac warning, Starting Sytem Fault warning.

I recorded a video showing all of the lights blinking and the error messages I could get, but because I'm new and haven't posted a lot, I still have restrictions about sharing the video (I completely understand the throttling of content for new users). I can share it in a pm if anyone would like to see it.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I would start by cleaning ground cables on batteries probally not related but bad grounds can cause some pretty weird things to happen. Ive spent 1k at a stealership to find out it was a bad ground strap
john galt likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I really canít help with your problem but shoot me a link to the video and Iíll post it up and maybe someone else will know something.

Cultures grow on the vine of Tradition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-19-2019, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Post the link to the vid in plain text -- we can copy paste then

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-19-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
/youtu.be/fsenWKgQKTA
post #6 of 17 Old 05-19-2019, 06:33 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
i can toss a couple ideas out that's about it not sure how much help i will be
the idea of grounds and other shorts is valid these do some odd stuff to say the least including freaking out the pcm
also heard about shorts in the dash causing similar issues to what you describe.
also have you done any work on the truck recently or wiggled or moved the harness either under the dash in the engine bay?
sounds to me like a short either in the harness or pcm connections or to the cluster but again i hate wiring so...
Hydro likes this.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #7 of 17 Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I bet it would like some new batteries.

Mine went bonkers when mine petered out 6 hours from home. I charged them overnight then drove into the nearest town and got some new ones installed, problems went away.
That was my second replacement set on a 2011.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
john galt likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-19-2019, 07:23 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
good point 12.9 is fine volts wise but a load test would not be amiss

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #9 of 17 Old 05-19-2019, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Can't imagine new batteries fixing this -- but disconnecting the grounds for a few minutes may "reset" the system

As @john galt mentioned, have you changed/added anything to the truck recently? -- been poking around in the wiring?

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
Took the batteries to get tested this morning. Both came back good. Put a booster pack on it and now it doesn't exhibit the same behavior. The dash "starts up" like normal, but when I try to start it, it can't turn all the way over. Going to check the ground straps and the all the main cables. Seems like there is something drawing power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode