Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-problems-forum-2011-2016/)
-   -   AC puking Freon passenger side (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-problems-forum-2011-2016/1360041-ac-puking-freon-passenger-side.html)

cmunsell 03-11-2019 04:32 PM

AC puking Freon passenger side

2013 F250 CCSB bought September of lasts year, ac was cooling like a champ - 142k on the clock no apparent leaks under the truck. AC not used much between November and Feb and I come to find out I have no cold air. I put a can of “high mileage” r134a with stop leak in and viola cools right down. Lasted roughly a month and back to blowing warm. Put another can in and cools right back down - however I glance under the truck and it is dripping what I can only assume to be Freon at a rapid pace, not enough run time to be water condensing. It is running down the passenger side frame rail.

I am assuming the evaporator core is toast.

1. Any idea what that job runs dollar wise?

2. Anyone ever heard of the issue being a simple leak at a line or fitting?

Trying to get this nailed down before summer really heats up in Houston.

Thanks

powerstrokeshellback 03-11-2019 04:36 PM

Find the origin of the leak.

Are you checking your pressures or just dumping cans in?

cmunsell 03-11-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback (Post 16255047)
Find the origin of the leak.

Are you checking your pressures or just dumping cans in?

Checking pressures - one can brings it back to ~35 psi

No apparent leaks on the top side/low port or up front at the compressor. Really showing under the passenger side door frame rail.

G8orFord 03-11-2019 04:48 PM

Freon don't drip. Unless it's under pressure, it's a gas.

cmunsell 03-11-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G8orFord (Post 16255057)
Freon don't drip. Unless it's under pressure, it's a gas.

Perhaps poor choice of descriptors. Something is dripping and seems to be related to the ac system. There is also a green tinge to whatever it is as I can see it on the frame rails.

powerstrokeshellback 03-11-2019 04:59 PM

He means the oil in the system.

G8orFord 03-11-2019 05:30 PM

The green tinge is from the dye in the stop leak.

I'd think if it was leaking bad enough for the PAG oil to be dripping, a top off can wouldn't last very long. If it is oil, stop using the A/C until you get the leak fixed, because you are low on oil and will probably seize the compressor. It doesn't take long for the condensation to start running off of the evaporator, especially in humid conditions. Houston is often pretty humid.

In any case, if you're getting the greenish liquid in the area where the evaporator would normally drain, it may very well be the evaporator.

cmunsell 03-12-2019 11:23 AM

confirmed with the shop, evaporator is the culprit. Now to find a shop that wont try to charge me 1600 just for the labor.

cmunsell 03-12-2019 01:48 PM

sorry for the double post. I found another shop that is much more reasonable - any other parts i need to replace while i am in there doing the evap?

powerstrokeshellback 03-12-2019 04:17 PM

Probably not.

Check the condenser, might need a good combing.