1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-15-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rubbing with stock tires?

Strange issue developed over the last year and I can not pinpoint the issue. It sounds like a tire rubbing- the sound you would hear when the tire contacts a mud flap or wheel well liner. Thing is, I cannot find a clean spot made by contact. It is also not easy to duplicate on demand. When it does happen, it is not in a place I can stop and get out to look.
When does it happen? Imagine making a left turn onto a divided highway where there is an elevation change between the two sets of lanes. You have the wheels turned left slightly and you hit the elevation change at an angle so your axles are articulating some. As the truck rocks a little, I hear a sshhht sshhhht like something rubbing but there is no rubbed spot that I can see. I does not happen every time either.
Going into my driveway (residential neighborhood with the concrete driveway aprons) it does not make the noise. Over speed bumps or speed humps with wheels straight it does not.
I am also thinking a bushing or rod end maybe? Though, I would expect that to happen over bumps or dips going straight. Has anyone experienced this?
Truck is a 2015 CCLB w/ plow package, stock suspension, steering damper, wheels and tires. 40000 miles on the clock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-26-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Bump. Ideas?
post #3 of 26 Old 02-27-2019, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Wheel bearing????

Do tight slow circles in a parking lot. Both directions windows down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-27-2019, 04:46 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Did the plastic rivets come out of your fender and causing random rubbing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
post #5 of 26 Old 02-27-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grish76 View Post
Wheel bearing????

Do tight slow circles in a parking lot. Both directions windows down.
I did. The police came. Some soccer mom called them because I was in an elementary school parking lot.
Just kidding. Bearing was my first thought but it only happens on uneven surfaces when the axle is articulated and the cab is being rocked side to side. Flat ground she is quiet as a church mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
Did the plastic rivets come out of your fender and causing random rubbing?
Hmmm.... That is a thought! Nothing looked off, but I did not pay a ton of attention to how the liner sits in the well. I did not see any clean spots in the well as I would expect from rubbing, but the weather has been so wet lately it may have had slop on it before I got a chance to look.
Other than that, my next course of action is to find a spot where it does it consistently and take everything out of the glove box, center console and under the back seat. Then hit it again. I pack gear pretty snug so nothing should be moving around but You never know. Thing is, I feel it in the steering wheel. Or I convince myself I do anyway.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-28-2019, 12:45 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

I would look at the wheel bearing and the dust shield for the rotor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 26 Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
I would look at the wheel bearing and the dust shield for the rotor.
Wouldn't the bearing make noise with the wheels straight though? A friend with a 2013 CCSB had his going and it always made noise. Almost like a mudder tire. I had one go in a Jeep and it was almost unnoticeable until you hit the brakes. Then it got loud once the weight transferred to the front.
The shield is a possibility too but again, it only happens with the wheels slightly turned and with the truck rocking left- right over uneven terrain. Speed bumps and speed humps are quiet. Its weird.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-28-2019, 03:31 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Probably in the beginning phase of failure...

Without being able to replicate the fault your gonna end up throwing parts or waiting for total failure.

You need to jack it up and see what's loose if anything..
Hydro likes this.

post #9 of 26 Old 02-28-2019, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know if this helps. But check your brake lines. My tires were rubbing on mine (the flexible rubber part of brake line) and it would make a sound like it was rubbing on the fender skirting. I suspect this was a problem before I bought the truck, as it happened just within the first week of owning it.

I didn't know where it was coming from. I thought it was just the over size tires rubbing the fender. Until one day I parked at a convenience store. When I left, before even getting out of the parking lot, I had no brakes. Got out to inspect, saw brake fluid all over the ground on the driver's front.

ROFL. Luckily I had my cell phone and called the local auto store. They had the brake line in stock. So I called my mom and she brought me my bag of tools and the brake line.

I was very very very lucky, because I had just finished towing my nephews RAM 2500 on the highway. And this was on I-205 going across the Columbia River. My truck sits high up, If I had to swerve to avoid traffic, there was a good chance I would have gone over the barrier and down a couple hundred feet to the water.

So don't rule out your brake lines. Check them for tire clearance.

2007 F250 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4. Lots of upgrades, but not enough. It's tall, too tall. Yes, I'm obviously compensating for something.

UPGRADES:
EGR Delete, RedHead Steering Gear, Blue Spring Upgrade, ARP Studs, (Let's not mention this manufacturers name) Coolant Filter, (Let's not mention this manufacturers name) Blue Intercooler Pipe and Elbow Upgrade, Cold Air Intake, One-Up Offroad Traction Bars, XD Wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 37" Tires, LED Lights all around, 2013 Tailgate, 2008+ Power Mirrors, Pro-Comp XXX Dual Front Coilover Suspension, Custom Bedliner Sprayed Rocker Panels and Fender Flares, Amerihood Tpe E-Style Ram Air/Heat Extraction Hood, CompuStar Alarm with Remote Windows, Remote Start, and much more!
More upgrades to come, including Singer Alternator, and other engine upgrades.

NEW Custom Bumpers with Tire Carrier! Dual Winches!
post #10 of 26 Old 02-28-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

I'll look at the lines for signs of abrasion. The truck is all stock so it would surprise me but ya never know. Hopefully there is a dry day this weekend I can jack up one side of the front axle to maybe simulate the situation it happens.
Id be pretty disappointed if a bearing was going. 40k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode