6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-07-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So many issues-anyone else??

I am newer to this forum but not to Diesels; previous duramax owner- decent engine/trans but hated the cab and plastic feel-everything was always cracking and breaking off. I am new to Powerstrokes, but after test driving one I was sold. I wanted to reach out to the forum to see if there is anyone else out there that has gone through a similar roller coaster ride as me . Before I list out my problems I have to say I absolutely love this truck! That is of course when I actually get to drive itÖ

I have a 2016 F-350 SRW Lariat with 72k miles on it. This is my DD and only pull a boat with it, like 3200lbs. Truthfully, I probably don't need a diesel but I like them and gas just doesn't do it for me. I purchased the truck with around 60k on it. I did purchase the Premium Care extended warranty and thankfully I did as it has paid for itself already will all the work I have had done. I get everything is covered; I donít have to pay out of pocket just a $100 deductible each time but its just a nuisance to constantly have this truck in the shop and not be able to drive it.

I usually buy new trucks but the 2017 on up models are just ridiculous expensive now for the lariat package so I decided to buy used. It took me about 3 months to find a used powerstroke that wasnít beat to a pulp and ridden hard. Lots of used ones and at least in MN seem to beaten on pretty good and then traded in for new ones.

The truck I finally found and bought is gorgeous, no scratches, no rust, no 5th wheel hitch, not a sign of any wear or tear, it truly looked and felt brand new. I don't think anyone ever even sat in the passenger seat.

Bought from the original dealer where the truck was purchased and the 1 and only owner just upgraded to the new model from the same dealer. All service records for the vehicle I had access to and was serviced from this same dealer. The owner was truly flawless about oil changes and recommend maintenance service intervals. Only issue was the radiator was replaced under warranty at 20k.

So for the 12k miles and 6 months I've owned it I have had it in the shop 5 times for the following.

1. CEL 1st week off the lot: dealer said it was a fuel rail sensor and needed a PCM reflash- havenít had same code since
2. CEL came on after long road trip P20BA ďReductant Heater CodeĒ- Def heater and assembly replaced under warranty.
3. Death Wobble- Experienced 3 times- finally fixed after 3rd visit to dealer: New Stabilizer shock, new tires, new carrier bearing assembly, new U bolts and track bar bolt replaced under warranty
4. Found oil leak on track bar and garage floor- Replaced new vacuum pump under warranty
5. Currently in the shop now- fan clutch soaring on acceleration- replacing with new fan clutch

So, my questions are; are there any other Powerstroke owners that have had as many issues as me? Is it ever going to end or are these pretty common failures on 6.7L powerstrokes for this mileage? I'm hoping now that I have a ton of new parts on the truck that it will get me up into the 200k mile range- I want to keep this beast for a long time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,116 Times in 2,024 Posts
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well, for 2,3, & 4 you have already posted in threads with the same topics.
1 hasnt come back and sensors do fail.
So that leaves the fan clutch being the odd ball.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #3 of 6 Old 02-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
So many issues-anyone else??

Some of the issues you listed are normal, but canít say having them all at once. I have had the DEF heater replaced as well. They even extended the warranty on that particular part due to issues. The vacuum pump leak is a normal repair. Usually the bolts loosen and make a drip. Death wobble people talk about but have not experienced it personally. The only other common issue with these truck is the primary radiator leaks at plastic x core seam due to frame flex. They are really solid trucks. You have one of the better years, after they made all their adjustments from earlier mistakes. Think you should be fine. Just remember to drain your fuel water separator and use good fuel stations so you donít grenade the HPFP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012011 F-250 6.7 CCSB Lariat, GH/AS & Tyrant Tuned, H&S Mini Maxx, H&S Intercooler Pipe Upgrade, Flow Pro 5" Down Pipe Back Exhaust, No Limit Stage 2 Intake, Carli Backcountry 2.0 w/ Caril SS, 37 x 12.5 R20 Nitto Trail Grappler MT, 20 x 9 MotoMetal Rims 5" BS (0) Offset.

Last edited by JHTX; 02-07-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-07-2019, 04:53 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I had the first issue also. Same issue, same fix.

There really isn't a "typical issues" that blankets the 6.7 line...

2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-30-2019, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
From reading threads, it looks like there are certainly typical problems, but they can show up vastly different ages/mileages.... I've had my truck about 2 months (6,000 miles) and I've already had to replace the primary radiator (typical leak on the driver side lower corner) and had to replace the audio control buttons on the steering wheel. Now all I've got left to deal with is a P04DB Code (crankcase vent line) and a water/condensation leak down by the passenger floor board...

Luckily there's a thread with help for every issue!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
These trucks have a known high pressure fuel pump problem that rears it's ugly head around 100K miles.
The bosch HPFP pump they put into these trucks is designed for european diesel fuel which has a much higher level of lubricants in the fuel which is what lubricates the fuel pump.
Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (mandatory in the U.S.A.) has very low levels of lubricants in it, which forces the pump to destroy itself due to lack of lubrication, Ford knew this before hand and yet still went with this fuel pump.
When the fuel pump goes out it not only destroys itself it destroys the high pressure fuel system and clogs the injectors with metal shavings, it can also make the low pressure side fail at the same time.

The repair is not cheap, usually around $10K - $14K, and it's not covered under the power train warranty in most cases.
It might, however, be covered under the Ford premium care extended warranty.

The fix involves remove, drain and clean the fuel tank, then reinstall it after replacing both fuel pumps inside it, R&R the fuel injectors, R&R the high & low pressure fuel rails and R&R both fuel filters. After that is done they have to put fresh fuel in the tank and retest to make sure everything is working properly, it takes several days to complete the repairs.

The other costs you'll pay besides the parts & labor is for the rental car and gas that you'll need while the truck is being fixed.

T-1 Certified
Independent Amsoil Dealer
Over 20 years of experience with the Amsoil product line.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in