What are the symptoms of a failing high pressure fuel pump? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-11-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are the symptoms of a failing high pressure fuel pump?

Short version: 2014 f250 takes about 10 seconds of cranking to finally build 5000 psi fuel to start. when it starts it runs really rough and makes a squealing + knocking sound like a spun rod bearing. Truck started fast and ran fine then this suddenly started. Is this a failing high pressure fuel pump or something else?

Long version:

I have a 2014 f250 that I just picked up from auction so i dont know the history. It started quickly and consitnely for a couple days in my shop, no obvious issues. First test drive it was driving fine down the road for about 3 miles then i slowed down to pull a u turn and the truck just died, no sounds. tried to crank it and the engine acted like it was locked up. only code was a cylinder 3 contribution code. I pulled the 3 injector and tried to crank engine, still locked. 2 new batteries, still locked. waited till the next day then the truck started to crank "fine" but would not start because low fuel pressure. after lots of cranking it did start but runs very badly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, did you ever figure this issue out?
post #3 of 5 Old 07-02-2019, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I would start with the fuel filter. I've changed them out and everything seemed fine...until I put a few miles on it and got the low fuel pressure warning. If that green o-ring isn't lubed well with a little oil, oftentimes it won't seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-05-2019, 12:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Can you share a video of you trying to start it? The symptoms you listed could be a fuel pump failing, fuel filter clogged/ not sealed, bad sensor(s), internal damage, or a long list of random things from a shorted wire in a harness to a cracked injector or bad control module.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Pull the upper and lower intake manifold off and pop the regulator out and see if there’s metal on it.
Also I’d cut the oil filter open and search for metal because no cp4 is going to lock the engine up. Any time I’ve heard a 6.7 make noises like that it got an engine. However, I had an lml that the customer said it squealed as well prior to dying... it’s currently getting a fuel system. Cp4 had come apart.

06 King Ranch
Fass 200, Custom fuel lines, 225/100s, Thumper stage 2 hpop, WPE stage 3 intake, Mishimoto radiator, Flex a lite fans, BPD water pump, MPD oil cooler relocate kit, Intercooler pipes, Compounds built by me, etc etc etc

05 Eddie Bauer
Resealed entire motor @ 170k miles, new lifters, 6.4 push rods, studs, rebuilt the turbo, IPR egr delete, new injectors, new heads, new ficm board, coolant filter, intercooler tubes, regulated return, bunch of other new parts. Factory exhaust, cat gutted(wife's rig). Livewire with gearhead tunes. Should go a while reliably for her!

03 LB7 duramax the "daily/tow pig"
Lbz cp3, s475/stock twin kit, built trans, steel driveshft, amsoil bypass, secondary oil cooler built by me, fass, traction bars, trans cooler upgrade, dual alts, straight center link + tie rod sleeves, efi live, transfer flow/tool box tank, 5er hitch, other small upgrades.. and most importantly, STOCK HEADBOLTS! Just rolled 200k miles, twins installed @ 165k, daily driven on a "550 tune" tows 18k on a "475" tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode