6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-20-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lost Power/Boost While Towing

So I was on my way home from a long trip pulling my 5th wheel - approximately 15K pounds. Went over a mountain pass, and was doing a lot of up and down stuff here in Colorado. About 3.5 hours into the trip, it was just running really sluggish. It didn't go into limp mode or set any codes, but it just wasn't making any boost on the lower end and I was having to constantly downshift and keep my RPM's up to make power. I made it home, and let it idle for about 15-20 minutes before I shut it off, which is what I normally do after towing. I never shut it off right after towing. Then I shut it off for a couple hours and let it cool down. I reloaded a less aggressive towing tune that I had and then I went out unloaded for a test drive and it seemed to run perfectly. The tune I had on there I towed with once and it makes more boost and gets slightly better mileage. I normally Tow with the other tune because its less aggressive and never had a problem.

My concern is, did the symptoms indicate that I hurt it? I plan on test towing again and seeing if it comes back or not. I just don't want to be on the edge of a blown turbo and not realize it until my next trip.

I'm just wondering also what would cause these symptoms. Is this what happens when your EGT's are way out there? Was it de-fueling and de-boosting to keep things from getting hurt?

2014 F-250 SRW | 4 Inch BDS Lift on 325/60/20's | Airlift Air suspension with compressor | dual add a leaf | EGR Block Off | DPF Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Something is causing it to go into limp mode id say. Stock truck with a DPF on tune?

2014 F-350 Platinum 4x4
Ready Lift 3.5" on 36" Tires/EZ-Lynk Proven Diesel Tuned/OUO/No Limit Fabrication/Fox/Flo Pro/Midwest 65.5 StreetmaxR, Piping and Dual Fueler/H&S LPFP
Dyno: 655/1240

"The Work Truck"
post #3 of 5 Old 06-20-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmracing1 View Post
Something is causing it to go into limp mode id say. Stock truck with a DPF on tune?
Doesn't limp mode come with a warning or indicator on the dash? DPF is deleted, EGR block off installed. Its 2nd version SCT tune from No Limit Fab. I went back to the old tune that I originally got from them. Drove it quite a bit today unloaded and it was completely fine.

2014 F-250 SRW | 4 Inch BDS Lift on 325/60/20's | Airlift Air suspension with compressor | dual add a leaf | EGR Block Off | DPF Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokenBoost View Post
Doesn't limp mode come with a warning or indicator on the dash? DPF is deleted, EGR block off installed. Its 2nd version SCT tune from No Limit Fab. I went back to the old tune that I originally got from them. Drove it quite a bit today unloaded and it was completely fine.

Ahh I see. I don't know the SCT too well but it might have defueling parameters when something gets too hot possibly??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 F-350 Platinum 4x4
Ready Lift 3.5" on 36" Tires/EZ-Lynk Proven Diesel Tuned/OUO/No Limit Fabrication/Fox/Flo Pro/Midwest 65.5 StreetmaxR, Piping and Dual Fueler/H&S LPFP
Dyno: 655/1240

"The Work Truck"
post #5 of 5 Old 07-15-2017, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had the same thing happen last Saturday. Kept going limping along at 45mph. After about another 20 miles I got mechanical failure code and went into limp mode. Finally ended up with no power at all. Had it towed to dealer. Was told by mechanic that turbo was gone. Waiting now for new turbo to be installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode