LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-27-2016, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Hey

Hey y'all,
Jeckyl here, OBVIOUSLY new to all this blog stuff. Not much of an auto mechanic either - I like driving my ride not working on it or taking it to the shop.

Where I live and where I'm from, I'm probably the only guy my age that I know of who does not know anything more than changing fluids (some, not all) and the occasional tire change that couldn't wait. I'm cool with it. Don't like working on them and I feel a bit guilty for taking work from the trained techs who gotta feed their families the best way they know how.

All fior now

Thanx
mejeckyl
aka Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-27-2016, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Actually, not having any interest in working on my vehicles is why I joined this site. I have a P20BA Heater "A" control circuit performance code on my 2011 gen1 6.7.

OK, here's what happened, I never do this, but this time I did. I let the DEF get low enough I got the 800 mile alarm. So I put 2.5 gallons in (DEF at the pump not many places in and around Dodge City yet). The level was fine for about 3 days (300 miles max). I checked the DEF level and it said under half. Got another 2.5 gallons and could not put it all in. About 1/3 of the jug would not go in the tank cause it was full.

Now, all the while this is going on and for probably 2 months now, I have been having issues with the coolant. It's going somewhere but????????? Sometimes if I forget to check it, I'll notice it's, shall we say, low cause the cab heater don't get even warm. Thing is the motor temp stays right where it always does. Never overheated.

Recently the coolant issue got worse. I can usually fill it up with an unmixed gallan which adds 2 I know but usually don't use it all. Today, I added right at 4 gallons.

Back to the code - It's only been active for the last 3-4 days.

I guess what I'm asking is do the 2 things have anything to do with each other... or will one cause or effect the other.

OK I'm asking did I screw up the heater in my DEF tank by procrastinating on the coolant issue?
post #3 of 6 Old 03-27-2016, 05:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
The 2 problems you state above are not related.

The code you're experiencing is due to a bad DEF sending unit. It needs to be replaced.

Since you say above, you don't know how to work on your truck, I won't bother giving you part #'s, proceedure etc. .
Your options are:

1. Take the truck to your local stealership, and have them replace the sending unit (approx $800)

2. Delete the emissions equipment on your truck.

As far as your coolant disappearing, This could be a lot of different things.

Do you smell coolant when the truck is hot, in or outside the cab? Are you noticing any puddles under the truck? Any coolant anywhere in the engine bay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-29-2016, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I like that "stealership". No to all. No signs anywhere of any coolant, no sweet smells none of that.

Thanx for the info about them not being related. I've actually been doing some research on how to change this myself and how to and what is needed to make it a race truck haha, because I figured $800-$1000 for someone else to do it. It doesn't seem all that difficult.

I'm actually a maintenance supervisor at a local beef packing plant so I do know a thing or two about mechanical stuff, I've just always preferred to not work on vehicles. However, with costs like that every time something happens it would pay for me to bite the bullet and do it.

Quick question though. Everything I've seen and read says to drop the tank out the bottom (def tank I mean). Would it not be easier to remove the bed? Can it even be accessed that way?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-29-2016, 07:13 AM

Garage
Honestly, i don't know if you can access the sending unit by removing the bed or not. .
I've never removed the bed on a 6.7.

If you decide you want to tackle this yourself. Here is a video that might help.
As you can see in the video, the part # for the sending unit is BC3Z-5J225-L

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-29-2016, 07:39 AM

Garage
When coolant was disappearing from my degas bottle. I also had no puddles, or any evidence in the engine bay of a leak.
But I was able to smell it. The smell was faint, but it was there. .

I thought the problem was going to be the coolant line feeding the turbo, since this is a fairly common issue, and i figured if it was leaking there, chances are, it's being "burnt" off before it ever hits the ground.

Since my truck was still under warranty at this time, I decided to take it in, and let them deal with it. .
Well, it ended up being a leaky gasket on the coolant crossover manifold. Coolant was leaking into the valley of the engine, and evaporating away due to the heat.

Check out the image attached. I circled the gasket that was leaking on mine. Maybe you have the same issue??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.7 coolant crossover.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	523426  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode