2020 Powerstroke build - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I do know this, but everything has its limits and the possibility to raise these limits no matter where they are at currently with the updated design coming out is the whole point. I don’t want to add parts til I found out what breaks it then build it all over. I want to get this motor, marvel at how good it already is stock for a few minutes then tear it apart, get measurements and have new rods and pistons made, have the heads worked over, etc. then add parts and go farther than I would of in the first place and not have to waste money on finding the stock breaking point. I didn’t want to do this to go play at the drag strip a few times a year and drive it back and forth to work everyday. I want to do this because I’m proud to work at the ford truck plant and want to be one of those to show just how far it can go and dedicate it to drag racing. I don’t like bringing up income because nobody knows what someone makes, it could be a lot or a little but i understand it’s a lot of money to anyone. But the only thing that matters is ford takes care of me pretty well and I wouldn’t want to get into something I can’t accomplish in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe it won’t be a good idea to go, maybe people won’t make the parts to really modify this motor, but I guess that’s what I’m trying to find out is if it can be accomplished, if some company out there would take the time to develops parts if someone is willing to pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 11:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Well tuning will have to come first beforw any changes can be made. Since the 2020 will still be using a bosch injection system the tuning software for the current 6.7s may work with some software modification. Time will tell I just hope ford doesn't lock down the PCM like GM does now. The internals are going to be strong. Steel pistons is an industry first for light duty engines. The longer rods to compliment the new pistons will reduce stress. The turbo will be a VGT with a electronic actuator for quick response. Considering the current 6.7 internals can handle up to the 700hp ish range with stock internals conaider this new revison will be capable of much more...

97 4x4 Eaton supercharged 7.3, S369sxe R&D IDI performance T4 mount, my B350/200s, my tuning, honey badger SR hpop, efuel, Valair Ceramic single, BMW M3 bucket seats, SKY 5" RSK/Skyjacker TTB , SKY RFK & shackles, Toyo M/T

1948 GMC 4-53T Detroit, 1945 Chevy rat rod dually 4-51 Detroit, project mean green 8V53 Detroit, 1951 Mack A51T
post #13 of 23 Old 06-28-2019, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And there lies the dilemma, it does no good to start the build if no one will be able to tune it, I see a lot of companies who have a lot to offer for older models who carry minimal aftermarket parts for 6.7. I hope the aftermarket industry continues and thrives but who really knows. It really is pointless to do it if no one will make these parts or tune it, that’s why I want to get ahead of the curve and find companies who are willing to. However the only response I have gotten is from a company who said they weren’t venturing into the 6.7 basically. I thought I made it clear I wasn’t asking for handouts but wanting to put the money towards making these parts but no such luck. The internals should hold a lot of power, if timed correctly. Just like the 6.7 cummins dare I say it, the design of it is strong, I had one with stock internals that should of been a 900hp truck and held together perfectly because of the long rod helping the rod angle. I never could get the true number though as it would only build 50psi on the dyno producing an uncorrected 720hp while on the street it would build 65psi with ease. But that just to add to the belief the 2020 will be a stout motor. But even if it can hold 1000hp on the stock internals, what could it do with simply billet rods in place of the stock ones? So hopefully things will come together, I’d love to see what a fully built 2020 model with modified fueling and air could do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 Old 06-30-2019, 07:02 PM

The 6.7 has already been built past the 4 digit mark on the dyno plenty of times. Typically thats with spray. I do not know what the highest fuel only 6.7 is. SPE did over 1000hp on fuel only back years ago. When software is there to tune these 2020s they may just be capable of 1000hp. Time will tell. They are coming with aome new goods. The 10 speed auto will be the roll of the dice. I hope they have the bugs worked out as I am planning to order a 2020 450.

97 4x4 Eaton supercharged 7.3, S369sxe R&D IDI performance T4 mount, my B350/200s, my tuning, honey badger SR hpop, efuel, Valair Ceramic single, BMW M3 bucket seats, SKY 5" RSK/Skyjacker TTB , SKY RFK & shackles, Toyo M/T

1948 GMC 4-53T Detroit, 1945 Chevy rat rod dually 4-51 Detroit, project mean green 8V53 Detroit, 1951 Mack A51T

Last edited by SuperchargedPSD; 06-30-2019 at 07:06 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old 06-30-2019, 07:08 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
They still haven't gotten the 17-19s tuning perfected.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 23 Old 06-30-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know they have, it’s extremely easy especially with only tuning hitting 600hp. But I’m not talking about the capabilities of the 17-19 engine, I’m talking about the completely redone 2020 motor. And I know it will be even more capable of hitting 1000, but I’m not talking about just 1000, I’m talking maximum reliable output. So this isn’t something that has been done yet because it’s not out so the parts and tuning aren’t there yet and who knows if (or when for some things) they will. So that’s what this is about.
post #17 of 23 Old 06-30-2019, 07:22 PM

Anyone can buy the tuning software it just costs money and time

post #18 of 23 Old 07-01-2019, 03:30 AM
N.S.D.Q.

My point is there's usually a few years before anything is tuned to achieve good repeatable results. Sure someone will get their "Mexico File" running but it will still take even MORE time to get the whole package done right to prevent problems. Don't expect "perfected" tuning before the 2021 trucks are being shipped out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 23 Old 07-01-2019, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This whole thread is nothing but "what ifs" and "we'll see" speculation. It sounds like you want to get a 2020 on day 1, and on day 10 have 1500hp. It doesn't work like that. Where Heavy already said there are companies who haven't nailed down the 17-19's yet, look how long it took 6.0's to be perfected.

If you really want a 2020, buy one and drive it. You will be more than pleased with how it is even in stock trim, and my guess when it's deleted and tuned it will be even more intense than the 11-19 trucks were, and you might find that totally feasible and stop there.
HeavyAssault likes this.

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's - Sold
'17 Grand Cherokee SRT - Stock
'97 SVT Cobra - Few things
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's - Sold
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
post #20 of 23 Old 07-01-2019, 08:45 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Quote:
look how long it took 6.0's to be perfected.

My thoughts exactly......
jman37 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode