Mishimoto R&D: 6.7L Powerstroke Direct-Fit Catch Can Kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion (2017-2019) 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oneops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mishimoto R&D: 6.7L Powerstroke Direct-Fit Catch Can Kit

Hey everybody,

Mishimoto is excited to announce that we're developing a direct-fit catch can kit for the 2011-2016 and 2017+ 6.7L Powerstroke! Check out our review of the stock CCV system below and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
-Steve

Dirty Work – Oil Catch Can Kit R&D, Part 1: Stock Review

The most rewarding work is hard work. But hard work is often dirty work. If you’re a car or truck enthusiast, you know the feeling of accomplishment you get from the hard work of fixing or modifying your vehicle. You also know the struggle of trying to scrub away the grime from under your fingernails afterwards.

Few people know the reward of hard work more than those who work on diesel trucks or those who use them every day to make a living. You’d be hard-pressed to find a construction site, landscaping job, or farm without a diesel truck somewhere nearby. If the owner of that truck is really serious about hard work, it’s likely a Ford Powerstroke. Ford’s latest addition to the Powerstroke lineage, the 6.7L, has been serving hard-working Americans since 2011. The 6.7L Powerstroke is one of the best engines ever fitted to Ford’s Super Duty trucks, but it’s not without its flaws.

If you’ve ever pulled an intercooler pipe off a 6.7L Powerstroke, you know just how much blow-by makes its way into the intake and turbo system. This blow-by is full of carbon, oil, fuel, water, and other byproducts of combustion that have made their way past the piston rings and into the crankcase.

Blow-by gushing from the CCV system of our 2011 6.7L Powerstroke

To keep the crankcase from becoming over-pressurized, the 6.7L vents the blow-by into the turbo inlet to be reburned with the rest of the intake air. But, before it gets back to the cylinder to be burned, the blow-by coats the turbo compressor wheel and hot-side intercooler pipe. Then, it fills the tiny channels in the intercooler and covers the cold-side intercooler pipe before spreading itself all over the intake. This blow-by eventually builds up to the point that it affects the engine’s exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system, lowers the intercooler’s efficiency, and coats the intake valves in carbon; all of which reduces the amount of power produced from your 6.7L Powerstroke.

...Continue Reading>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-07-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Put me on the list for one!! I blew a boot off that was nastily coated in oil. That was not fun putting back on. Hot truck on the side of the highway and close to 100 outside and my truck is stupid to work on to begin with being lifted. Can’t wait for this kit! Thanks guys!
Mishimoto likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oneops For This Useful Post:
Mishimoto (09-20-2019)
post #3 of 8 Old 09-20-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneops View Post
Put me on the list for one!! I blew a boot off that was nastily coated in oil. That was not fun putting back on. Hot truck on the side of the highway and close to 100 outside and my truck is stupid to work on to begin with being lifted. Can’t wait for this kit! Thanks guys!
Sorry for the delay in replying and thank you for your support! We'll be launching the pre-sale for both catch cans soon, so keep an eye out on the blog and our website!

In the meantime, check out the next update on these catch cans below.

Thanks again!
-Steve

Dirty Work – Oil Catch Can Kit R&D, Part 2: Design

Connecting our catch can to the factory 6.7L CCV system is not be a simple task. In order for our catch can to protect the engine, we need to intercept the blow-by between the CCV filter box and the valve cover. To make matters more difficult, the CCV filter boxes in both the 2011–2016 and 2017+ bolt directly to the engine’s valve cover with only a few centimeters between them and the firewall. That means clearance for lines or adapters is extremely tight. Fitting lines within this area in a way that retains the filter box and still flows enough to let the massive 6.7L crankcase breathe requires a clever design and precise measurements.

When our measurements need to be accurate down to the millimeter, we break out our 3D laser scanner. The Faro Design ScanArm measures surfaces at 560,000 points per second and is sensitive enough to map the ink on a sticker, making it perfect for designing parts in small spaces. To start our measuring process, we began by mapping the firewall and valve cover area with the CCV filter box on. This scan will be used to check clearances between the filter box and the firewall to tell us how much space we have available.

...Continue Reading>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-27-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Hey everybody,

Check out the final post in our R&D for these catch cans. We're also excited to announce that both our 2011-2016 and 2017+ 6.7L catch can kits are now on discounted pre-sale; so, head over to our website and check them out!

Dirty Work – Oil Catch Can Kit R&D, Part 3: Testing

The last steps of any project are the hardest to get through. The excitement of enjoying the results of your hard work can often get in the way of doing the job right. But hard work without patience often leads to more work.

For us, the last steps of our 2011–2016 and 2017+ catch cans were also the most technically demanding. In our last post, we took measurements of both trucks’ filter boxes and engines with our 3D scanner, then designed and 3D printed adapters to fit between the engine and the filter box. These adapters will give us a way to divert blow-by from the valve cover into our catch can, then back through the filter box and into the engine.

Continue Reading...
post #5 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Does your catch can still allow for adequate access to the under hood fuel filter?
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
Does your catch can still allow for adequate access to the under hood fuel filter?
It's a little tight, but you might be able to slip the filter under the catch can lines. If not, you would definitely have enough room by unbolting the can from the bracket and moving it to the left.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
-Steve
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I am all in for this.

Probably why I noticed some throttle response loss in my old 2016
Will be getting this for sure.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 KRLB City Slicker View Post
I am all in for this.

Probably why I noticed some throttle response loss in my old 2016
Will be getting this for sure.
It's on discounted pre-sale now Mishimoto Ford 6.7L Powerstroke Baffled Oil Catch Can Kit, 2017+

Thanks!
-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode