4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete Worst Case Scenario on a 2015

First time poster, I apologize up front if these questions are elementary...I just bought a used 2015 F-250 Platinum with 130k miles on it.

Unfortunately, it's got a check engine light with Code P24a0. I'm assuming it's because I don't drive it enough to complete a full regen...but I'm not really sure. My local dealer wants $350 to do a manual regen and clear the code. The independent shops around me want $250+.

I figure it's stupid to pay that money since I'm in the process of ordering an EZ Lynk with GDP Tunes, 4" "weight reduction" pipe and a No Limits EGR kit w/flow through. I'm assuming this should fix my cel and I'll be good to go. Thoughts?

Here's my real question: Since there are so many miles on my truck, I want to plan on a worst case scenario with the bolts on the exhaust manifold. I keep hearing horror stories of them snapping off while trying to remove them. What should I have on hand if these damn things snap off?

I plan on buying a left handed drill set and a helicoil set with 1/4 tap and 20 count threads. Do I need anything else? What length stainless steel bolts should I get to replace the crappy ones that are coming off? Also, if they do break and I do have to re-tap with the helicoil mentioned above, is it as easy as buying 1/4 hex cap screws with a 20 count thread?

Last stupid question (for now)...Can I just pour in the coolant that came out back in (it was flushed 6 months ago)? Or, do I need to buy all new coolant and some sort of vacuum device to refill the coolant system? I don't see anything on putting coolant back in, just stuff on how to remove it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 01:10 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When I did mine I reused the coolant. Just make sure your container is clean, oil free, nothing else inside etc etc etc.

For the EGR bolts you can try the soaking several times before and after it's up to temp. I've heard of plenty people getting them out easily when soaking after the motor is at normal temps.

Asking for a friend....what did you pay for the truck??
The Evil Twin likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 03:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
If you're worried about the bolts breaking, leave it all in place and not worry about it. Removal of all that junk is not a priority/needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
That code isnt necessarily because it needs to regen per se. It is because it can't perform one. Fuel injection, ignitor, failing EGT sensor.... some other things I'm sure.... have failed and it can not get the exhaust temps high enough to burn off the soot. Your plan may or may not solve the issue.
Like HA said, soak the bolts in Areokroil (sp?) PB. I'm not a fan of WD40 unless it is for cleaning tar off paint. A hot motor will help too.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Here use this tool with all those steps mention above as well

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...egr-bolts.html
post #6 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
When I did mine I reused the coolant. Just make sure your container is clean, oil free, nothing else inside etc etc etc.

For the EGR bolts you can try the soaking several times before and after it's up to temp. I've heard of plenty people getting them out easily when soaking after the motor is at normal temps.
That's my plan. I'm going to use liquid wrench for a week beforehand (while hot and cold).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Asking for a friend....what did you pay for the truck??
I paid $26,500 for it.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars5147 View Post
If you're worried about the bolts breaking, leave it all in place and not worry about it. Removal of all that junk is not a priority/needed.
Can you disable the EGR system? Or does the Tuner do that automatically when you select Deleted?
post #8 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
That code isnt necessarily because it needs to regen per se. It is because it can't perform one. Fuel injection, ignitor, failing EGT sensor.... some other things I'm sure.... have failed and it can not get the exhaust temps high enough to burn off the soot. Your plan may or may not solve the issue.
Like HA said, soak the bolts in Areokroil (sp?) PB. I'm not a fan of WD40 unless it is for cleaning tar off paint. A hot motor will help too.
My cel came on after the truck started a regen while I was in traffic. I was only going about 5 miles and could wait for a full regen. What's also weird is that after that, my truck wouldn't remote start. Also, (this may or may not be important) I had a warning that my DEF was down to 200 miles. I put in 2 gallons of DEF and the truck started remote starting again (weird). However, the check engine light remained on. I drove around for 3 days with the CEL and it drove fine, no loss of power.

Last night I went to O'Reilly's and they cleared the code for me, then I hooked up my travel trailer and drove on the freeway for about an hour at 70 - 75 mph. I never got a pop up on my screen that a filter cleaning was happening...but, I was at fairly high rpm's for a while, so I hope that was enough to burn off some of the soot in there.

Either way, check engine light has not come back on. Hopefully it stays that way!
post #9 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrrip View Post
My cel came on after the truck started a regen while I was in traffic. I was only going about 5 miles and could wait for a full regen. What's also weird is that after that, my truck wouldn't remote start. Also, (this may or may not be important) I had a warning that my DEF was down to 200 miles. I put in 2 gallons of DEF and the truck started remote starting again (weird). However, the check engine light remained on. I drove around for 3 days with the CEL and it drove fine, no loss of power.

Last night I went to O'Reilly's and they cleared the code for me, then I hooked up my travel trailer and drove on the freeway for about an hour at 70 - 75 mph. I never got a pop up on my screen that a filter cleaning was happening...but, I was at fairly high rpm's for a while, so I hope that was enough to burn off some of the soot in there.

Either way, check engine light has not come back on. Hopefully it stays that way!
I have a 2011 fully deleted running Tyrant tunes, Tunes which I've never had any issues with.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The tune will shut off the EGR automatically when you load it.
HeavyAssault likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
egr delete , egr delete bolt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode