1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 Old 01-25-2019, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not too sure about a tow/brake tune with the switch. I would assume you can get a little more power out of it? But I was under the impression of a tow/brake tune basically limits the truck to keep everything safe while towing so you can't flip it over to a 150hp tune and blow up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 01-25-2019, 06:34 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,056 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
... The SOTF tunes are designed for max performance (if you buy up to that level) and with the switch, simply cuts fuel, timing and boost. ...
This is what I can't wrap my head around. Granted, I know very little about tuning, but how can a switch that's only tied into a single sensor adjust the timing maps? Boost would be limited a bit due to less fueling on lower levels, but I just don't see how timing can be adjusted.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #23 of 43 Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 AM

Garage
The way I'm guessing, is obviously if it limits boost from a higher tune, there must be something written in there telling the PCM to either pull, or add timing. I mean, it makes sense. You're not going to command more fuel and boost and have the timing at the stock setting. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 Old 01-25-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDarrough View Post
So with that in mind, when you are on a "single" tune (like the tow/brake), does it matter which position the switch is in?

I just got the EZLYNK with the Tyrant tunes, so still playing with the different levels using the SOTF switch, so can't comment yet on being able to tell the dif. I started on 2 and switched to 3 now. That seems like a good level so far.

The tow/brake tune if freakin' awesome for towing my 16K lbs 5th wheel!! Love it!!

Mark
How are you liking the shifting point and hows the throttle response? Any lag?
post #25 of 43 Old 01-25-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You're talking about totally different things. The difference is with a full dyno tune is adjusting every parameter you can to squeeze out as much as you can without breaking it. The SOTF tunes are designed for max performance (if you buy up to that level) and with the switch, simply cuts fuel, timing and boost. So yes, they are safe, and are not changing the entire map of the truck on the fly, that would be ridiculous. This is my take on them, I could be wrong on it.

I personally don't care for them though, I don't really believe in them. Haven't been in a 6.7 with them, but my friend had an 06 LBZ with PPEI SOTF tunes, and I couldn't tell a difference when the switch was on 3, or 5. Only thing I could tell when it was on 5 is that it didn't have enough fuel which on a Dmax is a common problem with HP tunes.
Yeah that's what i gather from all the info in here too. I don't mine how the tune are set up. As long as its safe and stuff don't break from a bad tune.
post #26 of 43 Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
This is what I can't wrap my head around. Granted, I know very little about tuning, but how can a switch that's only tied into a single sensor adjust the timing maps? Boost would be limited a bit due to less fueling on lower levels, but I just don't see how timing can be adjusted.
Me too!! Some switches connect to the fuel temp sensor, while my No Limit switch connects to the air temp sensor!!

Mark
post #27 of 43 Old 01-25-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phong6.7 View Post
How are you liking the shifting point and hows the throttle response? Any lag?
Love the shifting!! And the lag is all but gone. Tyrant got it right!!

Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MDarrough For This Useful Post:
Phong6.7 (01-25-2019)
post #28 of 43 Old 01-25-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDarrough View Post
Love the shifting!! And the lag is all but gone. Tyrant got it right!!

Mark
Did you have someone else tune on before or just stock and now delete with Tyrant tune?
post #29 of 43 Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Garage
If you're looking for comparison, I have Tyrant, then bought Gearhead(which I think were really No Limit tunes because Gearhead doesn't suck at all) just to try and compare. There is no comparison. Their Extreme felt like my Tyrant Performance, I've never tried the Tyrant Extreme. I know guys have GDP and say those are excellent too but I don't have experience with that. I can absolutely recommend Tyrant 200% though.
post #30 of 43 Old 01-25-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you're looking for comparison, I have Tyrant, then bought Gearhead(which I think were really No Limit tunes because Gearhead doesn't suck at all) just to try and compare. There is no comparison. Their Extreme felt like my Tyrant Performance, I've never tried the Tyrant Extreme. I know guys have GDP and say those are excellent too but I don't have experience with that. I can absolutely recommend Tyrant 200% though.
Yes i'm looking for comparison. I hear tyrant was the tune to go with. I bought my truck with 62k and it was already delete and tune. The guy just told me it was on a mild tune. No tuner hook up or anything. The truck runs fine and now its at 126k and no problem but i'm looking for adding a ezlink and tyrant tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode