8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 12-02-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT monitor after delete

Can you monitor EGTs with the Edge CTS2 and a stock DPF probe in a block off plate?

This new PID showed up after I did an update. Where is the EGT at the exhaust manifold in the CTS2 read? Accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Treatcg; 12-03-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-03-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

My research shows the CTS2 will not monitor egts using a stock
DPF probe in the no limit block off plate. Looks like I need the Edge 98620 EAS probe. I think me block off plates came with an adapter to use the edge probe.

post #3 of 47 Old 12-04-2018, 02:32 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sorry I forgot all about the new PID. Yes that PID will work to read EGTs as it is in the piping to the turbo for your truck. The biggest problem is it doesn't read below like 345*F...LOL

I have the Edge EAS EGT sensor and compared the two not too long ago. IF you don't want the better temperature range of the EAS sensor, just use the PID as pictured above. If you want the better temperature range readings (lower EGTs) then get the EAS sensor.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 12-04-2018, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Sorry I forgot all about the new PID. Yes that PID will work to read EGTs as it is in the piping to the turbo for your truck. The biggest problem is it doesn't read below like 345*F...LOL

I have the Edge EAS EGT sensor and compared the two not too long ago. IF you don't want the better temperature range of the EAS sensor, just use the PID as pictured above. If you want the better temperature range readings (lower EGTs) then get the EAS sensor.

Does the EAS sensor fit in he No Limit Block off plate?

post #5 of 47 Old 12-04-2018, 03:10 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mine did. Yes, just go slow when threading the insert into the plate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 47 Old 12-04-2018, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm. Does this mean that if I want to monitor EGT's I don't have to install an EGT probe - because Ford had the forthought to add their own 'probe'. If so, then I could use something from Edge or Banks to hook into the existing OBD system?

That would be way too easy . . . .
post #7 of 47 Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 AM
N.S.D.Q.

I'm pretty sure Ford started using the EGT sensor on the top side pre-turbo in the 2015+ trucks.

I can use the Edge Insight CTS2 to see that new OE PID but the value is limited to a low end of like 345*F or something like that. The OE PID value seems to have a lower dynamic rate of change compared to the Edgs EAS EGT reading on the Insight CTS2. They will be VERY close together, but the Edge will been seen to have a smoother/quicker rate of change over OEM PID value. Using the Edge EAS EGT sensor I can see a wider range of EGTs values down to 200*F. Hence one should not be "required" to add on an additional EGT sensor unless the OE PID value isn't giving them the warm and fuzzy feeling they desire.

I cannot speak for Banks devices if they are able to provide the same PID value on the pre-turbo EGT sensor.

If I was running a shop I would suggest to the owner they figure out what they want to do. Last year or so Edge has offered a EAS add-on sensor for free as part of buying an Edge CTS2 device. Seems to be a no-brainer to add-on a EGT sensor regardless of what OEM PID you could use.

Since things do fail...I can easily swap to the OE PID for the pre-turbo EGTs and wait for a new Edge EGT sensor if needed.

Anyone confused?? LOL

post #8 of 47 Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
I'm pretty sure Ford started using the EGT sensor on the top side pre-turbo in the 2015+ trucks.

Anyone confused?? LOL
Haha. A bit. On my 97 7.3, after using an Edge programmer set to "Safe Tow", I had the usual three gauge pillar set installed to measure EGT, Tranny Temp, and Boost. The EGT's were the thing I was really watching because we were always hauling our RV trailer behind us - in the mountains.

I guess the EGT concern is a holdover from 'old Betsy' because I understand that if I keep our new truck stock (just like if I'd left the old 7.3 stock), Ford has stuff set up to prevent any trouble. Is that right? Still, it's cool to watch this stuff. Keeps me interested going down the road.

Btw, is the "top-side pre-turbo" installation place the agreed on correct place to monitor EGT's?
post #9 of 47 Old 12-04-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Went ahead and ordered the EAS probe. Whatís another $100 after spending $1400 on weight reduction.

MrTommy and HeavyAssault like this.
post #10 of 47 Old 12-04-2018, 04:38 PM
N.S.D.Q.

@MrTommy : When in stock configuration there are EGT sensors in the SCR/DPF system giving EGTs (1-4 as above pictured) readings in several places. Using the Insight you should be able to see those along with the pre-turbo EGT sensor as well.

If running deleted one could want to see the temps pre-turbine side of the turbo. So the aftermarket guys have made plates that can be used that allow use of aftermarket EGT sensors prior to the turbine side.

As before the 2015+ trucks stock or deleted can see EGT's prior to the turbine side using the OEM EGT sensor using the Insight. The Insight is just limited to reading EGTs at no lower than 345*F with the OEM sensor. If you want the better EGT reading range one might consider the Edge EAS sensor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode