6.7 Performance Parts Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question SCT GTX flop?

I just recently switched to the power stroke world and as everyone seems to love SCT on all the ford platforms I decided to get the new GTX "computer free tune", plugged it in, updated via wifi and found it incapable of downloading tunes via wifi, after some research multiple people have mentioned it has to updated via PC, so I download the software from SCT, plug it in and of course the computer doesn't recognize it, next step: install drivers, great, except the SCT device is recognized as two separate unidentified devices, neither of which will accept the drivers; repeat steps with two more computers ranging from windows 7 to windows 10, same issue across the board. Ive been able to plug in an older SCT device and it connects to the computer and is recognized immediately. today I tried again with two different computers, same results.

Has anybody else had this issue and possibly found a solution? Im going to try and swap this one out for another one tomorrow if I can get into town early enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-30-2018, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine came loaded with my tunes on the cloud so all I had to do was connect to WiFi and they downloaded to my tuner. Haven't had any complaints with the GTX.
post #3 of 39 Old 07-30-2018, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantke View Post
I just recently switched to the power stroke world and as everyone seems to love SCT on all the ford platforms I decided to get the new GTX "computer free tune", plugged it in, updated via wifi and found it incapable of downloading tunes via wifi, after some research multiple people have mentioned it has to updated via PC, so I download the software from SCT, plug it in and of course the computer doesn't recognize it, next step: install drivers, great, except the SCT device is recognized as two separate unidentified devices, neither of which will accept the drivers; repeat steps with two more computers ranging from windows 7 to windows 10, same issue across the board. Ive been able to plug in an older SCT device and it connects to the computer and is recognized immediately. today I tried again with two different computers, same results.

Has anybody else had this issue and possibly found a solution? Im going to try and swap this one out for another one tomorrow if I can get into town early enough.
I've actually had many problems with my SCT X4. I can't get my desktop to recognize it, my sister's laptop to recognize it(both show it as an ITX) but when i connect to my Dad's laptop it will let me download my tunes and update it. All i know is when i get it to work I'm happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 07-30-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
Mine came loaded with my tunes on the cloud so all I had to do was connect to WiFi and they downloaded to my tuner. Haven't had any complaints with the GTX.
Mine is incapable of loading the downloaded tunes even after numerous factory resets, updates, etc. SCT wants to try and access it via my desktop / teamviewer this week as they don’t think it’s defective- it just doesn’t work, so they think they’ll be able to wipe it and re install the software / drivers or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Buffalo7.3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantke View Post

I've actually had many problems with my SCT X4. I can't get my desktop to recognize it, my sister's laptop to recognize it(both show it as an ITX) but when i connect to my Dad's laptop it will let me download my tunes and update it. All i know is when i get it to work I'm happy.
I’m hoping they can get it to work, 3 computers and quite a few hours of searching and trying a multitude of methods left me and a few other people fairly frustrated. The hours of SCT’s support line doesn’t help much for us on the west coast either, pretty much the only option is to call at about 4 AM before work and hope it’s reaolved before I have to leave
post #5 of 39 Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 AM

Garage
I really don't like SCT's support. For something cosmetic, they wanted me to send my whole unit in. It was just my screen that was the issue, and I would have lost all my tunes and my stock tune so they could "diagnose it" even though I told them the issue.
post #6 of 39 Old 07-31-2018, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I sent mine back in exchange for a Live Wire, no issues with the Live Wire.
post #7 of 39 Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Now onto the 2nd device, same issue, everything loads except the times. Probably going to return it and stay away from SCT products from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
I really don't like SCT's support. For something cosmetic, they wanted me to send my whole unit in. It was just my screen that was the issue, and I would have lost all my tunes and my stock tune so they could "diagnose it" even though I told them the issue.
That sounds crappy, they wanted my original device so they could send it to engineering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg270 View Post
I sent mine back in exchange for a Live Wire, no issues with the Live Wire.
The main reason I got this device was for the monitor and the ability to play with various tunes here and there for fun, at this point I’m probably going to go back to using edge products
post #8 of 39 Old 07-31-2018, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Do you have a strong Wifi signal? Out in my driveway I had a little issues because the signal was hit or miss. But I brought it inside and it loaded fine.
post #9 of 39 Old 08-01-2018, 04:22 AM

Garage
+1 with Scerb, you need to have a solid WiFi signal for it to work properly. And yea, that's what they said so they could send it to Engineering. My case was though, it's just the screen, why do you need the "cloud" box with all my data on it? He couldn't give me an answer so I fixed it myself.
post #10 of 39 Old 08-01-2018, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
As I said, initially I had the GTX, had problems with the cloud, engineering at SCT said the device wasn't perfected yet so I switched to the live wire. for the past 6 months the unit has been sitting inside my console. I installed a separate EGT temp gauge which is easy to read. Additionally, when I had the GTX, I thought it was a little too big to be suction cupped to my windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode