7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 04-15-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Delete, but still have quiet exhaust?

I'd like to eventually go through the delete process, but don't want the extra exhaust noise. I would like it to stay at the stock level, or as close as possible. Back in the day, I had a Magnaflow muffler on a grand prix that was designed more like a resonator, but was thicker and quieter. Has anyone replaced their DPF with a resonator or straight flow muffler? How has that affected noise levels? I don't have any plans to throw a super aggressive tune on, so max power gains aren't my goal. I just want to remove points of failure and reap the power bonus that comes with it...after the power train warranty expires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-15-2018, 11:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I just did a delete pipe and from inside the cab its not noticeably louder unless windows are down
HeavyAssault and riotrob like this.
post #3 of 32 Old 04-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Personally, I've noticed that different tunes create different exhaust notes. Tyrant is definitely more quiet/calm, Gearheads tend to be more blow-dryer like...I run a Tyrant tune with a 4" straight pipe and the cabin isn't noticeably louder.
HeavyAssault and IYAO6502 like this.

The Resurrection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 04-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree with ZCherry, I don't think it's really any louder since it was deleted.

However, your definition of quiet and mine may differ.

I think a lot of guys around here use a Donaldson muffler for the "stock quiet" sound. Seems like a 52" is what they have, but I can't say for sure. There should be some threads around here somewhere.

Free men must live simple lives and have simple pleasures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 Old 04-15-2018, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
After 9 months of being deleted I got sick how loud the truck was outside of the cab. I agree with the above posts and in cab the delete doesn’t add much exhaust sound (turbo sound it adds a bunch). So I added a cheap high flow muffler to the delete pipe. Pretty much back to stock now.

AP Exhaust XS2772 Muffler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A5L9PG..._3b80Ab4JPCY83
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56C937F6-FD80-4DD3-B5CE-252161F0BF86_1523827052722.jpeg
Views:	363
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	692657  
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #6 of 32 Old 04-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
I'd like to eventually go through the delete process, but don't want the extra exhaust noise. I would like it to stay at the stock level, or as close as possible. Back in the day, I had a Magnaflow muffler on a grand prix that was designed more like a resonator, but was thicker and quieter. Has anyone replaced their DPF with a resonator or straight flow muffler? How has that affected noise levels? I don't have any plans to throw a super aggressive tune on, so max power gains aren't my goal. I just want to remove points of failure and reap the power bonus that comes with it...after the power train warranty expires.
I have an Aero Turbine 5050XL resonated muffler.. It's tame, not much drone at all, hardly noticeable - but still has a great sound outside....
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #7 of 32 Old 04-19-2018, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the info so far, guys. I'd like to see it quieted down to as close to stock levels (most importantly) in and (less importantly) out of the cab. I know that's a challenge when cutting off parts that are designed for quiet operation from the factory, but it's a goal and not exactly an expectation.

Has anyone seen the need to add multiple mufflers/resonators in place of the DPF to really quiet things down, or does a single one do the trick? I'm after really quiet for two reasons. The simple one is that I like a quiet cab. After owning louder cars in my younger years, I want a quiet DD. My T/A that I drive on nice days gives me my loud car fix. Also, I'm a bit of an audiophile, and plan on installing a sound quality-oriented stereo and want as little exhaust interference as possible.

Thanks again!
post #8 of 32 Old 04-20-2018, 02:41 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've found my Nitto EXO tires make more "cab noise" than my thru pipe deleted system. Using just a DPF delete pipe on the OEM back section is cheap and works. If you want different DPF back piping try any of the suggested resonators.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #9 of 32 Old 04-20-2018, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Replaced the DPF with 4" Flo-Pro straight pipe, left everything else stock and not much of a difference in sound, using Tyrant Tunes.
post #10 of 32 Old 04-20-2018, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Like it was said further up, everyone has a different opinion on what is loud. My truck has 5" straight pipe and Tyrant tunes and I notice the turbo more than the exhaust note. Granted, years of sirens and air horns may have my hearing slightly off, but it's extremely quiet when compared to my straight piped cummins.

2012 F-250 Supercrew - Pro-Comp 6" - 22x12 Hostile Sprocket's - 37" Toyo R/T's - AFE Elite Intake - 5" Diamond Eye Exhaust - SCT X4 & Tyrant Tunes - Sinister EGR Delete

Previously- 2006 Ram 2500, 5" turbo back, Crazy Larry tuned, fried injector harness, 6 toasted injectors, and one melted transmission.....

My "Other Rides"
2015 Pierce Velocity Industrial Pumper
2013 F-550 Haz-Mat/Rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode