Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tuners, which one?!

12K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  GSully23 
#1 ·
Looking to do some weight reduction Soon and been looking at tuners first. I don't think I would have to buy a $1k plus Spartan tuner because I don't see what the difference in tunes could be compared to the rest out there. I originally wanted a H&S but since theyre out of business i won't be able to get updates. So I was wondering what everyone else is running for their dpf/def delete and what made you go with that brand? I heard from someone that there's a brand out there that sends free updates every month or so but they could not remember the brand.
Any ideas?
Thanks

#4 ·
Probably because it's been gone over and over and the responses are just like asking what is your favorite cellphone or tires.

Plus there's a sticky

#12 ·
I need to update the stickey but it?s mostly correct still

All tuning also tunes the trans

GDP seems to have gotten more reliable but tyrant is still my go to

Pick whatever platform suits you best they all do the same thing when it boils down to it

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#13 · (Edited)
I have been reading about everything I can find on this entire Delete, Tuner, Exhaust discussion. I just purchased a 2015 F-250 with 50k and I love it. This truck replaced a 2002 F-250 7.3L that got totaled. Of course many improvements over my previous ride (which I intended to keep forever).

I think I've settled on the EZ Lynk tuner, Flo-Pro EGR Delete Kit, S&B Cold Air Intake and an MBRP 4" Downpipe Back Exhaust w/Muffler. I'm still debating between tunes with GDP and PPEI at the top of the list. As is common with a lot of subjects. There are 'Lovers' on all sides of every option.

Part of the problem is what the individual wants to accomplish. My priorities are fuel mileage and reliability. I am not looking for max power (though some increase is always welcome). I don't want a lot of smoke or noise. A good sound is fine but I do long trips and quiet is better than loud. I may be in the minority with these preferences so not as many opinions to choose from.

My greatest concern is that this not be a 'Trial and Error' exercise. That would be very expensive! I understand that the 'Perfect' choice may not be attainable. But I'd like to be in the ball park.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post valid information on these subjects (Especially the sticky by HLBeef). It has helped a great deal.

#17 ·
BajaRon, Sounds like you're looking at the same requirements Im looking for. Want to do the DPF & EGR Delete & want to tune my truck, but Im not looking for a monster. I dont want to hot rod it. I just want it to drive well, have the power I know it should have, maybe better gas mileage, & be able to tow anything I may need. My truck had the CEL earlier this week for the "Contaminated Exhaust Fluid" so I know its time to go ahead & do the DPF delete. What Im curious about is how much do I need to upgrade? I like the EZ Lynk since I dont really want to have an extra screen on my dash. I have an Android Auto headunit & Im hoping I can install it on that through my phone. Im not really sure which tunes I need since Im primarily looking for the delete tunes & some power/mpg increase without having a "race truck". Do I really need to upgrade to a Cold Air Intake right now if Im not looking to increase my HP significantly? I e-mailed a few questions to both No Limit & Diesel Power Products earlier this week & havent gotten a reply from either. Seems like if Im planning on potentially spending a couple thousand dollars with them, they could respond & help me answer these questions I have so I cant make the best decision. We'll see if I get a response next week from either so I can get this ball rolling. I dont want my truck to enter into Limp mode before I get all of this figured out! I went ahead & ordered myself some Kroil penetration stuff so I can get my EGR bolts cleaned up & ready when I do make the plunge. Now if I can just find some more information on which tunes I should go with, should I do an EGR Delete or just the block off plates, should I go ahead & do the cold air intake now or can I get away with doing it later. Once you guys get your stuff done, post some updates on how it went. Id love to hear. Until its my turn, I'll keep reading & researching.

Reactions: TnSmokey
#14 ·
I bought a 2011 SCLB in Feb 2017 w/85k, never put DEF in it, Deleted within 1500 miles. I went with a SCT Livewire with Gearhead Tunes, I think it was a Sinister EGR delete kit, and a Diamond Eye 5" downpipe back with no muffler. If I had it to do over I would change Nothing. Have had no problems at all. Now it does growl and you can definitely here the turbo, but going down the road with the windows up and the radio on (normal volume), I hear nothing. The only thing my wife doesn't like is without all that crap the exhaust used to go through, it now smells like a diesel motor.

Dave

#15 ·
Most everyone seems happy about the setup they installed. Tells me the industry is pretty good at meeting the customer's needs. Very impressive. Hopefully, I will be as happy with my chosen setup as you are Dave.

I am now thinking of going with an Android Tablet so I can have a dedicated instrument setup. Seems like an economical and efficient way to go.

#16 ·
I’ll throw out someone else, proven diesel. I’d say about as close to a custom tune as you can get without a ride along. He has made numerous tweaks for me and is super responsive. Not one of the big names, I think that helps with the responsiveness. I am using ththe ez link, makes changes and data logs super easy.

#19 ·
Now that I've read a little more into the EZ Lynk, I think Im having to change my setup. I may have to go with an external display afterall. I run a pioneer head unit with Android Auto. My phone is connected to my HU for full control. I have tried to find a way to take an app (EZ Lynk Auto Agent) & broadcast it to my head unit through Android Auto. Doesnt seem possible. The only way it may work is if I screen mirror my phone to my headunit which I can do using Miracast. Only problem, miracast connects to your phone via a wifi network. From what I read, the EZ Lynk also connects to your phone via a wifi network. I cant connect my phone to 2 different wifi networks at the same time. Also, when my phone is connected to my android auto, I cant use it through the phone, only via the head unit & voice. So I wouldnt even be able to see my phone to see the EZ Lynk App. Scratch that plan.
So instead now Im looking at the SCT GTX loaded with Tyrant tunes. Seems to be pretty good. Also the GTX will clear my TPMS system for the tire pressure. Ive got 2 sensors that are dead so I cant get that error off of my screen unless I buy new sensors & get them installed. If the GTX fixes that problem then theres more money saved. Im thinking the GTX with Tyrant Tunes & No Limit EGR Block off plates along with the S&B Cold Air Intake. Now to just decide on the exhaust.

#21 ·
I have a 2015 and recently switched from GH tunes to Tyrant. Holy cow, they are awesome. Big thing for me was I only wanted Tow tunes and the exhaust brake had to work, and I did not want to sound like a hair dryer.

The exhaust sounds awesome (nice low rumble). The exhaust brake works better than factory. And it just drives great.

My two cents.

Cale

#23 ·
I’m running a 4 inch AFR exhaust with their muffler, with a tip. Have thought about putting a Donaldson muffler on, but that may be later on.

Cale

#24 ·
I've said this before in simular threads, and I'll state it again. I bought an 11 with 148k about 4 months ago. Since there was no warranty to be had the first thing on my mind was D*****. I did alot of research and I found the best bang for the buck PERSONALLY was the livewire TS. I purchased through no limit along with the egr D****** and the stage 2 intake. Couldn't be happier. I also chose SOTF...and I did have trans tunes and motor tunes which did eliminate my OEM tune shift flair going into 4th. I found out I received Gearhead tunes with my livewire....and am currently waiting on a response from no limit seeing if I can also purchase the tyrant tunes pack for the $450.00 without having to pay for the SOTF also. Why???? Because curiosity killed the cat. I'd just like to personally compare the tunes myself. The only downfall with the livewire I see is having to buy and aftermarket egt probe, which I did. If NO LIMIT responds to my email and says they'll sell me the tyrant tunes for the 4 pack price w/SOTF (even though it hasn't been quite 90 days) I'll touch base again. Only reason I'm willing to pay is because I'd like to have both sets of tunes to compare but I don't want to pay the extra $200 for SOTF for each one when I had already done it once. Hopefully I hear back soon...im really happy with my gearhead tunes but would like to see what the tyrant tunes are about!!!

#25 ·
Well yesterday I had finally heard back from No Limit, it took a few days and about 2 emails from me but that is completely understandable seeing as it's this time of year. I've never had any issues with customer service with them....and again after today I'll stand by that. Explained the dilemma I was having, I liked the gearhead tunes but I was wanting to buy the tyrant pack so I could compare and see if it sorts out a few of the small, and I mean VERY small things I've noticed with the Gearhead tunes (by the way, the GH tunes have done nothing but make my truck a much better truck altogether....sorted out alot of little issues like my 4th shift flair). I explained there wasn't an option to choose either one when I purchased, and I already had paid for SOTF with my other tunes. Jeff over there was AMAZING, he completely understood and offered me an unrealistic deal on the tyrant tune pack w/sotf....so I couldn't pass the offer up. I'm currently just waiting on the tyrant tunes and when I receive them I'll post a comparison. I have high hopes from reading what others are saying....but my Gearhead tunes are pretty good so the bars set pretty high IMHO

#27 ·
Is anyone running the new SCT GTX Performance Tuner. Apparently this is the replacement for the Livewire and that is going to be phased out. I was between the Livewire and the EZ Lynk. Now this one gets thrown into the mix.

Reactions: boardboy330
#28 ·
The new "tyrant tunes" are good. Have I noticed much of a difference?...no to say the least. Personally speaking I can visually see higher low boost fueling, higher egt's, but much better low end.

With the GH tunes I noticed my turbo vanes cycling (I would see 1.5psi- -2.0psi, which I know I'm not producing vacuum) but regardless when I shut the truck off with the tyrant tunes i feel "I hear more stress put on the turbo/engine". It's hard to pick between either one, with the GH tunes I ran against my buddy's 240sx at a 25mph roll... he won 2 out of 3....which I haven't done yet with the tyrant tunes and i feel as if that wil be a sure fire way of telling the strong points of each tune.

#30 · (Edited)
Running a Spartan tuner pull 40' 5th wheel and 30' enclosed race car trailer. 5 inch exhaust with muffler. The drone is terrible if you pull without a muffler around 65-70. Total delete. 161,000 miles tuner put on at 110,000 along with delete. Best friend had h&s just plugged EGR lost trans and turbo at 40k with his 2011 the other week. Tuner was only on for 10k he does beat the heck out of it but I'm not perfect either.

#34 ·
But to answer your questions, before he swapped the tranny I did 3 25 mph rolls with him. Every time it was neck and neck, it he got me 2 out of 3 by a matter of a couple feet, I got him once. He wasnt willing to run at the track from a dead stop until he got his new ECM and toys. I also believe the shift flairs were from me changing tire sizes (I went to 35"s) and the granny didn't want to accept that. It might be due to my truck having the 3.31 diffs. All in all, I like both sets of tunes, I haven't switched back to the gearhead tunes because last time I tried it was 5°f and the tuner cut it short. I thought I bricked my truck but put 2 chargers on it, re loaded the tyrant tunes and all was well. I can say that without and aftermarket turbo/newer 15+ turbo the no limits stage 2 I take is overkill. I do plan to swap turbos here soon though and wont br looking back. No limit was great to work with, I dont regret there customer service one bit. But with my stock turbo only able to run 28 psi safely, if I upgrade to a newer 15+ turbo being able to run 35 psi would be great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.