LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 09-01-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Started my delete...Tuner failed to load tune

Finally got everything in for my delete and had the time to do it.

SCT X4
Tyrant Tunes
No Limit EGR delete with Pass Thru plate
5 inch MBRP straight pipe

I was super excited to get started. But I can't have nothing.

Updated the X4.

Downloaded the stock tune.
Was ~60% done loading the new tune.
BAM
All sorts of CELs. Low oil pressure, High engine temp, the wrench, everything.

Tuner says 110D8 Failure to write tune. Press Continue to return to Stock.

NUTS.

Start the process to return to stock.
Makes it all the way to "Clearing vehicle DTCs"

110D8 again, Failed to write tune.

I've tried about 5 times. Same results.

Tried to update the tuner again. No dice.

Not a lot of info on the google about that particular code. Some folks say the engine was too hot (my oil temp was still ~140), some mentioned battery voltage.

I don't know, I called SCT, they are closed. I guess they'll be able to sort me out. But I thought somebody here might have some info, words of encouragement, something.

So I'm going to enjoy a little Jack Daniels, or a lot, and worry about this tomorrrow.

Cause I can't have nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Doesn't the SCT have a file you must first load before you can any tune at all? My dealer did mine and I believe he had to do something along those lines. Don't know if this will help or not. Well guess not since you can't even get it back to stock. Hope you get it straightened out soon. I know its got to be a sickening feeling. Once fixed you will be glad you done it.

Also don't think SCT will be any help as its a competition tuner now and they wash their hands of it.

2012 F250 Crew Lariat FX4

Stock? Sure, that's what we'll call it.
post #3 of 26 Old 09-01-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grish76 View Post
Doesn't the SCT have a file you must first load before you can any tune at all? My dealer did mine and I believe he had to do something along those lines. Don't know if this will help or not. Well guess not since you can't even get it back to stock. Hope you get it straightened out soon. I know its got to be a sickening feeling. Once fixed you will be glad you done it.

Also don't think SCT will be any help as its a competition tuner now and they wash their hands of it.
I've been reading for weeks about this stuff. I saw where some folks did have a "pretune" download, but it didn't stand out to me that the X4 did, and I didn't notice it on the tuner, but it wouldn't surprise me that I left out a critical step. I can't see the forest for the trees a lot of times.

This truck's been a headache since I bought it. But the truck and I have an understanding, it acts up, I WILL fix it. I don't have a choice.

Yes sir it's sickening. I fully expected to break BOTH EGR bolts and have to deal with that, but I never figured we wouldn't make it off the launch pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grish76 View Post
F'n A. This is the first I've read of that. But being as I've bought one, not a surprise. I'm calling anyway.

With my luck, the only solution will be somebody telling me to just start parting it out. Y'all pay attention, she's high miles, but dang clean.

I'm diving a little deeper in my bottle. Catch y'all in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 09-02-2017, 03:36 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Well honestly, this isn't uncommon with tunes. It has happened to me twice. I have had two SCT tuners and never needed a 'preload file' or whatever.

What is most likely the issue was the download of the delete tune. However you got the Tyrant tune (preloaded, or you loaded it) simply request another copy of the tune and reload it. Anytime I've had an issue, that has worked for me.

The Resurrection
post #5 of 26 Old 09-02-2017, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
It occurs to me that since I make it to the clearing DTCs part of the tuning before it fails, I'm going to pull the battery cables and try for a hard reset and see if that does anything. If not, I'll try SCT. If no help there I'll try Alligator Performance Wednesday for a new copy of the tune. I will report back with results.
post #6 of 26 Old 09-02-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Yeah. Pulling the battery cables didn't do jack. SCT doesn't offer weekend support for my tuner, which goes right along with what Grish said, and doesn't bode well for them giving me any support. But I guess I'll know for sure Wednesday.

Since I'm off to such a wonderful start with the delete, I figured I'd go ahead and break the EGR bolts so I could start drilling them out while the truck is down.

Never doubt KROIL. They came out with no resistance once they broke loose.

So at least there's that.
post #7 of 26 Old 09-03-2017, 12:39 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd like to understand why a device loading a new tune needs to clear DTCs before loading. Maybe it wants to save a "clean" OEM tuning file.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 26 Old 09-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Writing to the ECM often causes DTCs and the current X4 software now clears DTCs after loading tunes.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2015 Ford F-350 XLT, PSD, CCSB, Ruby Red Metallic
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Andersen Ultimate hitch.
1/77 Armor, 5th Mechanized Infantry, I Corps
post #9 of 26 Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
I'd like to understand why a device loading a new tune needs to clear DTCs before loading. Maybe it wants to save a "clean" OEM tuning file.
The "Clearing DTCS" step is what I'm assuming is the last step. It loads the ECU tune, loads the TCU tune, and the tries to clear the DTCs. Then it locks up and fails to write.

I would up load a video, but I think I'm still a few posts shy.

I did get a clean stock file saved, but it doesn't matter now.

I guess worse case scenario is I drag it to the Ford place and have them reflash a factory tune to it.

But I guess that means the money on this tunes and tuner is wasted. Cause it obviously doesn't like my truck.

ETA: There we go. Ski clarified it.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-07-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
So just a little update on the situation.

Been on the phone with SCT for a while today. They DO still service the X4, and they worked at it for a while today. They wrote me a recovery stock file, walked me through loading it up, and it still failed.

They think since I made it halfway through the writing, I kind of got half of a tune, and for whatever reason, the X4 can't overwrite it or correct it.

So their solution is to send in the ECM, TCM and tuner to them. They will unlock the tuner for free and reprogram the ECM and TCM. Or attempt to.

Or have the ECM reflashed by Ford, which I read somewhere was like $200, but I haven't called to confirm. Then send the tuner to them for a free unlock. That way I could drive my truck.

I'm probably going the send it all to them. Cause, you know, I only got to pay to ship it.

They also have a Cat 5 hurricane bearing down on them, so that's going to slow things down a little.

I think I'm going to wait the storm out and then ship everything in.

I swear to God everything I touch goes to hell. People do this every day. I try it and it all falls apart.

I can't have nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode