LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 Old 10-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
Yeah, I was disappointed in the noise. Iím going to double check all my exhaust connections to make sure I donít have a leak but it is definitely louder in the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that sounds strange. Make sure you're not against frame or body anywhere too and that your hangars are isolated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 10-03-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
Yeah that sounds strange. Make sure you're not against frame or body anywhere too and that your hangars are isolated.

I will do that. Thanks for the tip. I only used 1 hanger so Iím pretty sure thatís not the problem but I will double check for any rubbing

2014 F350 Platinum DRW 6.7
2006 F350 Lariat DRW 6.0 PSD sold
2005 F250 Lariat 6.0 PSD sold
2004 Excursion Limited 4wd 6.0 PSD sold
2016 Jayco NorthPoint 377RLBH
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS Liberty Ed. Sold
2000 Excursion Limited 2wd 7.3 PSD Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-03-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I will do that. Thanks for the tip. I only used 1 hanger so Iím pretty sure thatís not the problem but I will double check for any rubbing

No worries. I might even have the Donaldson I bought in anticipation of the same situation but then never used. I'll look in the garage. You can have it if you wanna pay shipping. I'm in AZ.

MagnoliaTom likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ElkSlayer For This Useful Post:
MagnoliaTom (10-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 10-03-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
No worries. I might even have the Donaldson I bought in anticipation of the same situation but then never used. I'll look in the garage. You can have it if you wanna pay shipping. I'm in AZ.

Sounds great! Do you have the 40Ē? Let me know if you find it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Sounds great! Do you have the 40Ē? Let me know if you find it.

Sorry to keep you hangin. I found the Donaldson, yeah it's the 40" with 4" inlet/outlet.

MagnoliaTom likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ElkSlayer For This Useful Post:
MagnoliaTom (10-08-2017)
post #16 of 19 Old 10-06-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Sorry to keep you hangin. I found the Donaldson, yeah it's the 40" with 4" inlet/outlet.

Sweet! Thanks. Sent you a PM

post #17 of 19 Old 10-10-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update on the weight loss....

Truck runs great but I do get a little more smoke than I think I should have. Trans shifts have smoothed out but still ďfeelsĒ weird compared to stock. Once I put more miles on it Iím sure Iíll get used to the firmer shifts. Mileage is unchanged from before. I have only put about 400 miles so far but no change in fuel economy. Kinda disappointed after hearing lots of people getting 1-4 mpg better. EGT temps using Torque pro and stock pyro from DPF runs about 600-700 cruising at 70 mph. All in all Iím pretty satisfied but I am curious to see how a different tune (Tyrant) would perform vs. whoever writes Rudyís

post #18 of 19 Old 10-14-2017, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Update on the weight loss....

Truck runs great but I do get a little more smoke than I think I should have. Trans shifts have smoothed out but still ďfeelsĒ weird compared to stock. Once I put more miles on it Iím sure Iíll get used to the firmer shifts. Mileage is unchanged from before. I have only put about 400 miles so far but no change in fuel economy. Kinda disappointed after hearing lots of people getting 1-4 mpg better. EGT temps using Torque pro and stock pyro from DPF runs about 600-700 cruising at 70 mph. All in all Iím pretty satisfied but I am curious to see how a different tune (Tyrant) would perform vs. whoever writes Rudyís

I've been told by the folks at NL that the "tow tunes" just don't work as well as the street tunes on deleted trucks. I'm disappointed in the GH tow tune myself at low RPM, low speed. Taking off from a stop is zero power, then BAM all the power comes on at once and pulls incredibly hard. The shifting is very odd, I've been told this is part of the adaptive shift strategy that gets more aggressive with how you use the throttle. That smoothed out over about 500 miles and I don't consider the shifting to be an issue at this point. The GH tune also doesn't smoke at all, very happy with that part.

Coming from a very well refined 5* DPF-ON Tow tune. Was very happy with the 5* tune except for the obnoxious amount of re-gens when not towing, and excessive oil temps when towing. I just flashed a GH Street tune last night, but haven't left the house yet. I have to winterize my 5th wheel tomorrow so I'm going to pull it out of storage and get that done. I've been told by NL that the GH Street tune is conservative enough that it's safe for a large trailer outside of heavy grades - and then keep an eye on EGT's.

Let me know what sort of support you get out of the Tyrant tunes, I've heard everyone that went from GH to Tyrant were very happy with the results. If I can't get the modified tow tune or street tune to work from NL I may switch or find a custom dyno tuner willing to get the drive-ability sorted out..
post #19 of 19 Old 10-14-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackseven View Post
I've been told by the folks at NL that the "tow tunes" just don't work as well as the street tunes on deleted trucks. I'm disappointed in the GH tow tune myself at low RPM, low speed. Taking off from a stop is zero power, then BAM all the power comes on at once and pulls incredibly hard. The shifting is very odd, I've been told this is part of the adaptive shift strategy that gets more aggressive with how you use the throttle. That smoothed out over about 500 miles and I don't consider the shifting to be an issue at this point. The GH tune also doesn't smoke at all, very happy with that part.

Coming from a very well refined 5* DPF-ON Tow tune. Was very happy with the 5* tune except for the obnoxious amount of re-gens when not towing, and excessive oil temps when towing. I just flashed a GH Street tune last night, but haven't left the house yet. I have to winterize my 5th wheel tomorrow so I'm going to pull it out of storage and get that done. I've been told by NL that the GH Street tune is conservative enough that it's safe for a large trailer outside of heavy grades - and then keep an eye on EGT's.

Let me know what sort of support you get out of the Tyrant tunes, I've heard everyone that went from GH to Tyrant were very happy with the results. If I can't get the modified tow tune or street tune to work from NL I may switch or find a custom dyno tuner willing to get the drive-ability sorted out..

Funny you mention the low speed shifting. Same thing with mine. Iíll need to look into the heavy towing up grades. I tow a 14.5k fifth wheel and occasionally go to the mountains of west Texas. I donít want to have any issues. I do have my Torque pro set up to monitor egt. So far Iíve only run tow tune so I have nothing else to compare it to. Iíll report back when (if) I get the tyrant tune.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode