15Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 55 Old 08-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To repair broken stud with a welder, you need to put a nut on top of the broken stud and weld the nut to the stud. That way you have something to turn the stud and the welders heat will get the stud ready to come out. I worked at a muffler shop and we did this all the time with good success. I don't recall us ever drilling a stud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 08-14-2017, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse75 View Post
Went to put the gasket on and tighten the bolts. 4lbs of pressure and the welds gave. I looked at the welds and they were beyond bad. He didn't grind the studs down at all (I wanted them grinded to a cone) and he basically welded to the damn manifold. That was doomed to fail before it started.
I'm going to just run my own 220 and make this happen tomorrow. I spent the day trying to drill these bolts out and it's just not happening.
If I can't get this threaded stud idea to work I'm dropping the truck off at a shop. I never pay for stuff but we are down to one car and that has a slow air leak in one of the tires. It's crazy.
My lawnmower quit this weekend too.. so my house has a leaf blower with a bad carb, my mr2 my wife killed right before moving, mower died, generator won't start for unknown reasons, boat has a rusted timing chain cover and my motorcycle isn't keeping the battery charged. Oh. And my camper got a flat last month that I have to fix.
This place is like a no motorized vehicle zone!!!
Damn dude, what state do you live in? I'll be sure to stay far away from wherever that is.
post #33 of 55 Old 08-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Finally decided to jump on my EGR plates. Ran the truck for a couple of minutes before starting and I think what took the longest was fishing my socket out of the crevice under the EGR when it fell off my extension.

I was going into this worried about nothing haha. Took me all of about 30 minutes. However, I don't see how this can be done without a universal joint socket. It literally made this a breeze. I heard stories of people taking off the upper intake manifold, or trying to get down in there with small box end wrenches. No...universal joint socket, lots of PB-Blaster and you're golden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 Old 08-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Curious to see if the studs worked? I'm in the same boat, I snapped both bolts on mine last week. The first one I though was coming out. I put very little pressure on it and it released. I thought the bolt actually came out and didn't snap. I moved to the second one, same story but that one broke immediately.

I ordered a set of left twist drill bits but they just are drifting off center and now I have one of the holes pretty well fd up. I'm pretty much done with it and was wondering if it would be possible to just weld the blocker plate in place and screw the bolts? I've worked on some old *** cars and never had this much of a problem.
post #35 of 55 Old 08-20-2017, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devous1 View Post
Curious to see if the studs worked? I'm in the same boat, I snapped both bolts on mine last week. The first one I though was coming out. I put very little pressure on it and it released. I thought the bolt actually came out and didn't snap. I moved to the second one, same story but that one broke immediately.

I ordered a set of left twist drill bits but they just are drifting off center and now I have one of the holes pretty well fd up. I'm pretty much done with it and was wondering if it would be possible to just weld the blocker plate in place and screw the bolts? I've worked on some old *** cars and never had this much of a problem.

Both of my bolts broke too with very little force.
I removed the whole intake a drilled them. One went perfect the other drifted bad.
I installed Hilicoils and they are holding.
post #36 of 55 Old 08-20-2017, 04:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamnslash View Post
Both of my bolts broke too with very little force.
I removed the whole intake a drilled them. One went perfect the other drifted bad.
I installed Hilicoils and they are holding.
GRRRRRR, what kind of work are we talking to get the manifold off? I'm already much farther into this thing than I want to be.
post #37 of 55 Old 08-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ordered a Manibolt kit today, man I hope I can get it to work.
post #38 of 55 Old 08-21-2017, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devous1 View Post
GRRRRRR, what kind of work are we talking to get the manifold off? I'm already much farther into this thing than I want to be.
Was not too bad. Just lots of bolt. The only thing I can remember giving me a hard time was a bracket on the back driver's side.
post #39 of 55 Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had the bolts from hell break off on mine too. My mechanic buddy brought over a right angle drill and a centering punch to prep the bolt and keep the drill bit from wandering. Don't skip this step. You may need to remove the manifold to get clean access. For those not interested in the misery of drilling the bolts out, you can replace the entire manifold for $60. That's a brand new OEM part straight from Ford.
post #40 of 55 Old 08-25-2017, 05:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I had decided if I broke a bolt I wasn't going to spend all day trying to drill and tap it and just replace the manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in