Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Jul 2013
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've got my studs in place and working well.. I may have to grind down the welds a little bit more to clean it up some, and find the right gasket.. I also need to go dig up some better/cleaner nuts.. We just threw whatever we found that worked on there, so it's a little uglier than I'd like.. There were some minor issues with welding it up..
1 - I didn't weld it myself and the guy that did weld it made the welds too big and bulky, so we had to do a lot of grinding on the actual plate.. Not concerned about it, as there is plenty of metal there for strength.. The other issue is, while he was grinding on the extra weld material he ground down some of the threads on one bolt.. I'll have put put a spacer for that one.. I'm not sure how he managed to grind that far up the stud, since the plate is 1/2" thick at a minimum..
Not a big problem though.. I ended up installing the wrong gasket (because the original appears to have fallen by the fuel rail).. I didn't realize it was the wrong one until I tried to drive and it wasn't sealing at all.. and I haven't swapped in the DPF EGT yet.. I'll be doing those things today..
If you have a good welder the studs did work well and should provide plenty of clamping force..
I need to buy an in-lb torque wrench to make sure I don't break anything else.. I'm bad about over torquing things.. 80in-lb is not a lot of force AT ALL!!