Busted Bolts on EGR Long Pipe - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 Old 08-08-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had only 1 both break on mine 11 with 80k. Here's a pic of what I used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20112.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	640338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170702_140233.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	640354  

Last edited by 06F2506.0L; 08-08-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 Old 08-09-2017, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Busted Bolts on EGR Long Pipe

I'm hoping to have none broken! For shiggles after spraying them down yesterday I decided to just see how tight the top most bolt was. It back out with considerable ease. Not even a grunt. So I'm hoping that's a good indicator.

I didn't realize before but some of the other bolts look pretty tough to get to. I hope I have enough extensions haha.

Where's the plug that you plug the new EGT sensor into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23 of 55 Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
On mine when I felt the bolts starting to bind up I then tightened them about a turn and sprayed them again with PB Blaster let them sit a few minutes and continued. Worked great till the last bolt lol.

The plug is the one from the factory sensor in the EGR pipe but you use one of the sensors from the exhaust.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 06F2506.0L For This Useful Post:
bcamos (08-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 55 Old 08-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06F2506.0L View Post
On mine when I felt the bolts starting to bind up I then tightened them about a turn and sprayed them again with PB Blaster let them sit a few minutes and continued. Worked great till the last bolt lol.

The plug is the one from the factory sensor in the EGR pipe but you use one of the sensors from the exhaust.

Ah, thanks! Yeah I ran my truck for a few minutes this morning, shut it down, sprayed the bolts and backed off the ones that I was able to get to a few threads and sprayed them again. Then tightened everything back down. How do you get to the right bolt on the far rear flange? Looks like it's one of the two that are typically broken! The one of the left of the flange broke loose no problem this morning, but I can't get any kind of socket down in there for the right side bolt. I'm assuming it'll be easier to get to once the other pipe is out of the way.

My delete kit was supposed to show up today, but for some reason the tuner (in a separate box from the exhaust and EGR plates) was sent back to the shop as undeliverable. The owner sent me a picture of the label and my address was correct so we're not sure what happened. He put it in a new box with a new label and shipped it 2 day air so hopefully it actually shows up on Friday. The other stuff should still be showing up sometime this evening, whenever Fedex decides they want to stop by.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcamos For This Useful Post:
frito1 (08-13-2017)
post #25 of 55 Old 08-09-2017, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You have to use a tiny 1/4" socket or something on that and work in small increments.
To break it loose, it might be easier to turn the whole pipe once the other four bolts are loose. That will proved some extra leverage.

Also, just a heads up.. the brakes on the far back of the EGR doesn't have to be as difficult as it was for me . It turns out it's a slotted flange, so you can just loosen the nut and then slide the bracket off. Much easier than working that nut for 30+ minutes leaning over the truck.

Welder is coming tomorrow. I made my studs and if he decides not to do it I'll go to Home Depot to buy my breakers and run 220 to my welder to do it myself. I hate that I have to pay someone to do this.. it really pains me..
Barry Smith and bcamos like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMouse75 For This Useful Post:
Bluebeast44 (09-07-2017)
post #26 of 55 Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse75 View Post
You have to use a tiny 1/4" socket or something on that and work in small increments.
To break it loose, it might be easier to turn the whole pipe once the other four bolts are loose. That will proved some extra leverage.

Also, just a heads up.. the brakes on the far back of the EGR doesn't have to be as difficult as it was for me . It turns out it's a slotted flange, so you can just loosen the nut and then slide the bracket off. Much easier than working that nut for 30+ minutes leaning over the truck.

Welder is coming tomorrow. I made my studs and if he decides not to do it I'll go to Home Depot to buy my breakers and run 220 to my welder to do it myself. I hate that I have to pay someone to do this.. it really pains me..

Thanks for the heads up! I'll either be starting on this tonight or tomorrow night, depending on when my tuner shows up. Exhaust and blockoff plates will be coming today, but I've learned my lesson reading from other people's mistakes and I won't be installing any of the hardware until my tuner is on my truck.

To test the tune before I get started, I can just unplug the DPF and start it up and make sure no codes present, right?

Sorry for the thread derailment, this just seems like the most active current topic for guys doing this exact thing at the same time as me.
post #27 of 55 Old 08-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This thread reminds me, I need to squirt some more Kroil on mine tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcamos View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I'll either be starting on this tonight or tomorrow night, depending on when my tuner shows up. Exhaust and blockoff plates will be coming today, but I've learned my lesson reading from other people's mistakes and I won't be installing any of the hardware until my tuner is on my truck.

To test the tune before I get started, I can just unplug the DPF and start it up and make sure no codes present, right?

Sorry for the thread derailment, this just seems like the most active current topic for guys doing this exact thing at the same time as me.
I haven't actually done my delete yet. But I've been studying. Anyway, this video seems to cover what to unplug for the DPF.

And this one for the EGR.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck

Last edited by Old King Coal; 08-10-2017 at 09:27 PM. Reason: 'cause it was a disaster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old King Coal For This Useful Post:
bcamos (08-11-2017)
post #28 of 55 Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 AM

I've got my studs in place and working well.. I may have to grind down the welds a little bit more to clean it up some, and find the right gasket.. I also need to go dig up some better/cleaner nuts.. We just threw whatever we found that worked on there, so it's a little uglier than I'd like.. There were some minor issues with welding it up..
1 - I didn't weld it myself and the guy that did weld it made the welds too big and bulky, so we had to do a lot of grinding on the actual plate.. Not concerned about it, as there is plenty of metal there for strength.. The other issue is, while he was grinding on the extra weld material he ground down some of the threads on one bolt.. I'll have put put a spacer for that one.. I'm not sure how he managed to grind that far up the stud, since the plate is 1/2" thick at a minimum..
Not a big problem though.. I ended up installing the wrong gasket (because the original appears to have fallen by the fuel rail).. I didn't realize it was the wrong one until I tried to drive and it wasn't sealing at all.. and I haven't swapped in the DPF EGT yet.. I'll be doing those things today..

If you have a good welder the studs did work well and should provide plenty of clamping force..
I need to buy an in-lb torque wrench to make sure I don't break anything else.. I'm bad about over torquing things.. 80in-lb is not a lot of force AT ALL!!
post #29 of 55 Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old King Coal View Post
This thread reminds me, I need to squirt some more Kroil on mine tonight.

I haven't actually done my delete yet. But I've been studying. Anyway, this video seems to cover what to unplug for the DPF.

https://youtu.be/OVbhKrvysQ0

And this one for the EGR.

https://youtu.be/xgPNyk75oX0

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck
Ah thank you! I haven't seen that second video. I've watched the first one a few times and I even bought the exhaust hanger tool to make my life easy. I made myself a "Map" from the first video. Drew up a rough sketch of what the filter pipe looks like and marked where the individual sensors are and his recommendations for which botls need to be removed on which flange, that way I don't end up pounding on a welded nut haha.

My tune went onto the truck this morning with no fuss after I updated the X4, so the exhaust will go on this evening when I'm off work. The kids have a horse show tomorrow so I think I'll leave the EGR plates for Sunday just in case my daily penetration oil doesn't work as well as I hoped. We'll see how I'm feeling after I get the exhaust on tonight.

I was up until 1AM this morning putting on rotors, pads and shocks. So I'm a bit exhausted at the moment (pun completely intentional haha).
post #30 of 55 Old 08-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Went to put the gasket on and tighten the bolts. 4lbs of pressure and the welds gave. I looked at the welds and they were beyond bad. He didn't grind the studs down at all (I wanted them grinded to a cone) and he basically welded to the damn manifold. That was doomed to fail before it started.
I'm going to just run my own 220 and make this happen tomorrow. I spent the day trying to drill these bolts out and it's just not happening.
If I can't get this threaded stud idea to work I'm dropping the truck off at a shop. I never pay for stuff but we are down to one car and that has a slow air leak in one of the tires. It's crazy.
My lawnmower quit this weekend too.. so my house has a leaf blower with a bad carb, my mr2 my wife killed right before moving, mower died, generator won't start for unknown reasons, boat has a rusted timing chain cover and my motorcycle isn't keeping the battery charged. Oh. And my camper got a flat last month that I have to fix.
This place is like a no motorized vehicle zone!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode